• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonah Hex: The First Bronze Age Anti-hero?

90 posts in this topic

I was about to place an Amazon order for a few of those collected series (both Marvel and DC) until I found out they are all in black and white.

Hey, I read the Essentials and it's no big deal - great reading and I probably miss the Bullpen Bullentins and Letter Pages more than the color.

Jonah Hex in black and white doesn't lose anything. The Green Lantern showcase edition in black and white leaves a bit to be desired. No way to tell that something is yellow unless the text tells you. Maybe I'll take some crayons to my copy for some "amateur restoration."

Now, Scalphunter on the other hand... gossip.gif
I have broke down and purchased the latest issues of Conan and Hex off of the Newstands. This was a monumental task for me.

I'm enjoying them both. And speaking of Scalphunter, I've just put together his run on WeirdWesternTales and am enjoying it. I never noticed Scalphunter until now.

Just read Jonah Hex # 6 last night. It was very good although it would have been better without the DC in-house ads every other page 5 in a row. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Okay, I just ordered Showcase Presents Jonah Hex and House of Mystery - everything else looked too old/gay (GA/early-SA) for my liking, but I might pick up the later editions.

Is there a Batman edition?

I have those two---excellent reading and value!

Here's a couple Trades I find interesting.

Page 8 & 9 is from the 1975 interview with Joe Orlando

awodcc60gp.jpg

scan00043sh.jpg

scan00031oz.jpg

The Fleisher interview is excellent...22 pages long with an in-depth dissection of "The Last Bounty Hunter"....

The cover of this 1980 CJ is a Luis Dominguez's painting originally scheduled for the fourth issue of DC's Digest Comic, Jonah Hex and Other Western Tales which never came to be.

cj562hg.jpg

Sorry I had nothing to add to the debate.....hope ya found the post interesting no less.

I learned a lot from your post. I didn't realize that there was so much frankness in Amazing World of DC Comics (what worked, what didn't, etc.). I figured it was more of a house organ.

Also learned that Abel was based on Mark Hanerfeld, which I found pretty funny.

Marc

The Fleisher interview is excellent...22 pages long with an in-depth dissection of "The Last Bounty Hunter"....

The cover of this 1980 CJ is a Luis Dominguez's painting originally scheduled for the fourth issue of DC's Digest Comic, Jonah Hex and Other Western Tales which never came to be.

cj562hg.jpg

Sorry I had nothing to add to the debate.....hope ya found the post interesting no less.

It's not all about JH but it's good....lots of history....I hope you can read it..!!

scan00022qt.th.jpg

scan00013kb.th.jpg

scan00039dg.th.jpg

scan00045mv.th.jpg

scan00056nd.th.jpg

scan00065oq.th.jpg

scan00079mn.th.jpg

scan00081wa.th.jpg

scan00092fk.th.jpg

scan00106iy.th.jpg

scan00112gk.th.jpg

scan00129ok.th.jpg