• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big comic collection stolen

161 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I'm selling 25 unopened long boxes of comics. These comics have never seen daylight and they are all NM or better condition. Please send offers via PM.

$50 a box 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

$700 for the lot - Corey grin.gif

In all seriousness (and I realize that seriousness has NO BUSINESS in this thread), the PoopShoot,com, I mean, Scoop.com article doesn't give you diddly in regards to info about this collection. How are you gonna call crimestoppers if you don't know jack shiite about this collection's contents?

If you had lost your 25-year collection of 25 long boxes, wouldn't you put out a detailed inventory list for people to be on the lookout for? Especially if it's somebody local in Florida, which you've got to assume it is. Wouldn't you be plastering that list of stuff you lost everywhere you could?

C'mon, give some useful information!!! A 25-year collection doesn't mean squat. Did he collect books from the past 25 years only? Marvel? DC? Disney? Harvey? Charlton? All of them? Did he build an extensive collection of Golden Age, Silver Age, or others? Any unique runs, etc etc etc?

sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Options, in order of their likelihood:

1) Service personnel - Trust me, you let a plumber, electrician, etc. into your house and a lot of them are scoping. Then they pass on the "lead" to the perps, and collect a fee/cut.

2) Friend/acquaintance who saw the collection. It's a crazy world out there, and even friends see $$$ and try to scam you blind.

3) Insurance scam - happens more than you think - guy loses job, looks over policy, makes comics disappear, then resells them hush-hush.

4) Totally random robbery - this one is really NFL (not 893censored-thumb.gif likely), due to the collectible nature and its sheer size. A perp who has no idea of what you own is looking for small stuff, cash, watches, diamonds, electronics, laptops, etc., and NOT 25 longboxes of comics. I mean, what did the guy drive up in, a transport?

25 long boxes can easily fit in a minivan.

I met someone at Wondercon this past February who had his whole collection stolen. He claimed it was worth $50,000. Lots of statues and stuff along with the comics. He went on vacation for two weeks and came back to nothing and housemates who claimed ignorance.

I've met lots of people who had their comics stolen when they were stored at a relatives. Stolen or given away or just disappeared.

Having insurance through Collectibles Insurance Agency does give one peace of mind.

Marc

1) Service personnel - Trust me, you let a plumber, electrician, etc. into your house and a lot of them are scoping. Then they pass on the "lead" to the perps, and collect a fee/cut.

2) Friend/acquaintance who saw the collection. It's a crazy world out there, and even friends see $$$ and try to scam you blind.

3) Insurance scam - happens more than you think - guy loses job, looks over policy, makes comics disappear, then resells them hush-hush.

4) Totally random robbery - this one is really NFL (not 893censored-thumb.gif likely), due to the collectible nature and its sheer size. A perp who has no idea of what you own is looking for small stuff, cash, watches, diamonds, electronics, laptops, etc., and NOT 25 longboxes of comics. I mean, what did the guy drive up in, a transport?

Sadly, #2 may be the most likely.

When I was actively doing comic sales I met a guy and he wanted to come check out my whole inventory. I didn't usually have people come to my house, but he was a local guy -- I'd been to his place to do a small deal, and he ended up coming to mine. In retrospect it was stupid but because I thought I knew him, knew where he lived, had done a deal with him etc I figured it was ok.

Anyway he brings some stuff with him for me to look at for possible trade -- some slabbed stuff including two AF 15s and some other major books. We ended up not doing a deal, but just as he was about to leave, I asked to see one of the AF 15s again. He kind of reluctantly opened up his case, and on the bottom of all his books was one of mine that he had been considering trading for -- a fairly high grade Hulk 6. Now the guy seemed very flabbergasted and said he had no idea how it got there, and that he must've inadvertently picked it up with his books and put it away, etc etc etc.

The thing is, it's very possible that he accidently picked it up. And it's also very possible he was intentionally trying to rip me off. But the bottom line is I'll never know which for sure. And it made me realize that I should never let someone come to my house in person to buy, trade, or sell books. From there on out I always met people at a neutral site if it was a local deal. That one incident made me a lot less trusting.

In all seriousness (and I realize that seriousness has NO BUSINESS in this thread), the PoopShoot,com, I mean, Scoop.com article doesn't give you diddly in regards to info about this collection. How are you gonna call crimestoppers if you don't know jack shiite about this collection's contents?

If you had lost your 25-year collection of 25 long boxes, wouldn't you put out a detailed inventory list for people to be on the lookout for? Especially if it's somebody local in Florida, which you've got to assume it is. Wouldn't you be plastering that list of stuff you lost everywhere you could?

C'mon, give some useful information!!! A 25-year collection doesn't mean squat. Did he collect books from the past 25 years only? Marvel? DC? Disney? Harvey? Charlton? All of them? Did he build an extensive collection of Golden Age, Silver Age, or others? Any unique runs, etc etc etc?

sign-rantpost.gifmakepoint.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I was thinking the same thing...give us something to look out for...something unique... confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry if you took my posting the wrong way. I definately was not trying to make fun of someones misfortune.

I hope I am wrong, but I feel there is alot more to this story then what was printed.

Guys you all need to chill. While I was expressing my thoughts there was no malice intended. Being able to joke about certain things keeps us sane so no worries.

This story most likely has many layers and as time passes we will find out more, and maybe the jokes made earlier will no longer be jokes.

Sadly, #2 may be the most likely.

When I was actively doing comic sales I met a guy and he wanted to come check out my whole inventory. I didn't usually have people come to my house, but he was a local guy -- I'd been to his place to do a small deal, and he ended up coming to mine. In retrospect it was stupid but because I thought I knew him, knew where he lived, had done a deal with him etc I figured it was ok.

Anyway he brings some stuff with him for me to look at for possible trade -- some slabbed stuff including two AF 15s and some other major books. We ended up not doing a deal, but just as he was about to leave, I asked to see one of the AF 15s again. He kind of reluctantly opened up his case, and on the bottom of all his books was one of mine that he had been considering trading for -- a fairly high grade Hulk 6. Now the guy seemed very flabbergasted and said he had no idea how it got there, and that he must've inadvertently picked it up with his books and put it away, etc etc etc.

The thing is, it's very possible that he accidently picked it up. And it's also very possible he was intentionally trying to rip me off. But the bottom line is I'll never know which for sure. And it made me realize that I should never let someone come to my house in person to buy, trade, or sell books. From there on out I always met people at a neutral site if it was a local deal. That one incident made me a lot less trusting.

Wow, great story Rhino. Thanks for sharing, and I sure am glad you asked to look at those AF15s again.

A Hulk #6 in high grade, jeez. Wouldn't that be a felony? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The situation reeks of inside job and/or insurance scam...

Keystone is a small upper middle class neighborhood on the Intercoastal with their own police force that are tenacious and constantly doing circuits day and night. You'd need a small U-Haul to carry the 25 boxes. If the robbers were suspcious I'm sure the cops would have noticed...

Jim