• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman vs X3?

Who will take in more?!!!  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take in more?!!!

313 posts in this topic

Probably not...I'd guess the Da Vinci Code will finish 1st...or some Pixar pile.

Both comic book movies have a slight chance, but the smart money is on Pirates 2, Cars, MI3, or Da Vinci Code to take the crown.

Superman and X3 will likely be in the Top 5-10 of the year though.

I don't think Da Vinci Code will do as well as some think in this thread.

It all depends on how good the movie is, as it is with most of the flicks. Fanboys will still see X3 or Superman even if it blows, but quality movies like Da Vinci can make serious bank if they get great word of mouth. Depending on how it's received, it could post Forrest Gump or Terminal numbers.

Then again, if Pirates 2 or Cars delivers a high-quality movie, then it's no longer even a race.

Superman Returns looks AWFUL!! Outside of fanboys I doubt there's much interest in this. Todays' generation of movie-goers is not interested in a storyline that was created in the 1930's. It's too old-fashioned and low tech. X3 is far more in-tune with the younger generation; high-tech gadgets, mutants in sexy outfits, teen heroes with social issues. The failure of the latest Batman movie to register with the average movie-goer fits right in with what will happen to Superman Returns. 1930's storylines don't appeal in 2006.

Smallville is a relative success because of it's young people in soap opera situation trappings. Same formula as Buffy, and to a degree, Charmed. People aren't drawn to the superhero aspect so much as the T&A factor.

headbang.gif

Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code for highest grossing movie this summer

I was going to write that in my message before you, but decided against it because it's an R rated movie.. then again, so was the Jesus movie.

I think it will come down to Supes or Pirates. Here's the trailer for Pirates. Superman has a more universal appeal than X-Men even after 2 movies. It will post Spider-Man numbers, X-Men will not. Pirates or Supes will win BO. Da Vinci will get good numbers, but it will not get repeat viewers and many will wait for the DVD as it's intended audience is a little older than the standard summer crowd.

http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bounce.aspx?eclipid=e27307&bitrateid=242&vendorid=566

It all depends on how good the movie is, as it is with most of the flicks. Fanboys will still see X3 or Superman even if it blows, but quality movies like Da Vinci can make serious bank if they get great word of mouth. Depending on how it's received, it could post Forrest Gump or Terminal numbers.

Then again, if Pirates 2 or Cars delivers a high-quality movie, then it's no longer even a race.

I don't think you want it doing Terminal numbers. Terminal pulled less than $100 million domestic 893whatthe.gif. I agree though that either Da Vinci or Pirates 2 will take the summer. I think even with the R rating for Da Vinci the huge built in audience from the book will drive it pretty high, as long as the movie is good. Supes has an outside shot at the summer if it's really good and has cross-over appeal. X-Men will likely be entertaining but has virtually no shot at taking the summer as it has limited to no cross-over appeal.

I don't think you want it doing Terminal numbers. Terminal pulled less than $100 million domestic 893whatthe.gif.

Hence my point, Forrest Gump ($300+ million = GOOD) or Terminal ($77 million = BAD). confused-smiley-013.gif

Read the sentence again:

Depending on how it's received, it could post Forrest Gump or Terminal numbers.

Got it foreheadslap.gif

No worries, and I was just trying to use two Tom Hanks movies from the top and bottom ends of the scale.

It would have worked better using two more recognizable BO successes and failures.

I don't think you want it doing Terminal numbers. Terminal pulled less than $100 million domestic 893whatthe.gif. I agree though that either Da Vinci or Pirates 2 will take the summer. I think even with the R rating for Da Vinci the huge built in audience from the book will drive it pretty high, as long as the movie is good. Supes has an outside shot at the summer if it's really good and has cross-over appeal. X-Men will likely be entertaining but has virtually no shot at taking the summer as it has limited to no cross-over appeal.

DaVinci got a PG 13, but Pirates of the Caribean 2 will be the year's champ.....by a lot. popcorn.gif.

I think Cars may have a disappointing box office. Computer animated films are at the point they have to rely on good story. They always have, but the novelty of computer animation is wearing off and they are going to have to rely more on story instead of great animation and star voices. I don't know anything about the story, but I just think some of the novelty of computer animation may wearing thin.

I think Cars may have a disappointing box office. Computer animated films are at the point they have to rely on good story. They always have, but the novelty of computer animation is wearing off and they are going to have to rely more on story instead of great animation and star voices. I don't know anything about the story, but I just think some of the novelty of computer animation may wearing thin.

Then if their track record is any indication, Pixar has nothing to worry about.

Those tools who produced storyless drek like Robots, Madagascar and Chicken Little will need to be looking for jobs though.

I think it will come down to Supes or Pirates. Here's the trailer for Pirates. Superman has a more universal appeal than X-Men even after 2 movies. It will post Spider-Man numbers, X-Men will not. Pirates or Supes will win BO. Da Vinci will get good numbers, but it will not get repeat viewers and many will wait for the DVD as it's intended audience is a little older than the standard summer crowd.

http://www.totaleclips.com/Player/Bounce.aspx?eclipid=e27307&bitrateid=242&vendorid=566

Do you realize that Da Vinci Code was Top 10 on the best seller list for TWO YEARS. It only recently came out in Paperback.