• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show your best Commissions!

45 posts in this topic

I've often heard people throw the "there's no resale value in commissions" argument around as if money is the only issue when it comes to buying original art. Well, maybe it's time to praise these "worthless" pieces of perfection.

Show 'em if you got 'em.

Edited: Not sure why my photo isn't showing up.... foreheadslap.gif

The picture I took kinda sucks. The piece is on 11x17 bristol (so it's pretty big). Cary Nord Conan.

2 days at a Con. I was impressed to say the least. The piece will be one year old next weekend!

CaryNordGoldenStateComic-Con2005Com.jpg

Wow, that commission looks identicle to the one I bought. Oh wait... stooges.gif

If anyone is curious, it's a Dejah Thoris piece by Josh Howard. I stated in another thread I like artists I've met or interviewed or whatever. This is one of my favorites.

Holy bloody hell, that's an awesome Joker commish.

One thing I'm noticing is that everyone's got multiple characters or some really involved pieces. Most of the commissions I've had a chance to get are one character...not much more than a con sketch. So, without telling details if you don't want, how much do these more involved or cover/splash like images cost?

So, without telling details if you don't want, how much do these more involved or cover/splash like images cost?

It's all dependant on the artist, size, medium and number of characters/complex nature of the background....for my complicated commissions I have paid as little as $200-300, alot of artists fall into the $500-900 category, and guys like Bolland are in the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" category.

Chris

a very poor photo of a really nice painting - I really need to get off my butt someday & take it off the wall and & out of the frame so I can get a good photo, but here is "Twilight II" of Dawn & Death by Joe Linsner.

twilightII.jpg

Some better color in this pic of Joe when I picked it up from him at a local con, he got a kick out of the Linnea Quigly resin kit a friend & I customized into Dawn (in the days before they put out nice statues!)

joelinsner.jpg

Battle Pope & Jesus by TONY MOORE

I was lucky to get this commission early in Ton'ys career. Now he has no time for commissions (unless you are lucky to catch him at a con for a sketch) and his art prices are going thru the roof.

Anyhooo...very cool illustration from a funny series! smile.gif

bpandj1.jpg

-Hart

The picture I took kinda sucks. The piece is on 11x17 bristol (so it's pretty big). Cary Nord Conan.

2 days at a Con. I was impressed to say the least. The piece will be one year old next weekend!

CaryNordGoldenStateComic-Con2005Com.jpg

Chris, awesome Conan illustration! thumbsup2.gif

-Hart

My top five. Some of them might technically be considered 'con sketches' but I think they're all of commission quality.

Black Widow by AH!

widow3.jpg

Black Cat by Tim Sale

comic_112.jpg

Black Cat by Michael Turner

cat62.jpg

Black Widow by Ron Frenz

WIDOW.jpg

Elsa Bloodstone by Stuart Immonen

comic_12.jpg