• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PITA ebayers w. attitudes

56 posts in this topic

Darth,

It shouldn't matter how much over cost you price it. It is your book. Put 10k on it. Guys like the one you described make me angry. Especially the ones who tell you your prices are crazy(I know that), ask for a deal, and then when you oblidge they never email you back.... I say "why do you make me dress up like a mail man and dance for you while you smoke crack on my dad's bed with some guy I don't even know... Yaaaaaaaa gddddamnt! sign-rantpost.gif

Thanks CW 27_laughing.gif As a buyer, I look at some prices and say to myself " That's way more than what I'd like to pay for it." But I don't take it upon myself to email the dude, presume I know how much he's got tied up in the book, and berate his pricing structure, all still in the hopes of working out a sale.crazy.gifinsane.gif If it was one of you guys, PMing me with, "Darth, you know I saw that Conan book you listed and ...I got to tell ya...I don't think it will sell at that high price you put out there", then I'd be inclined to listen and discuss. But anyone else, can go take a flying leap.

I'm not going overboard here or anything. It was just a quirky happenstance that I thought I'd pass on. It is good to know that other forumites have dealt with it in similar fashion when it happens to them.

It is so annoying to receive insulting and usually absurd BIN offers. I get them all the time. foreheadslap.gif

I'll offer you $10K for the 9.2 Showcase #4! devil.gif It's only a 9.2! makepoint.gif

lowballer. i'll go $60k. worth nearly every penny of that. imho.

I'll lowball all your stores tonight and over the weekend devil.gif

J/K I don't think it's bad move to make a lowball offer here and there you might get great deal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't agree with with "your prices are crazy" approach when your offer gets rejected, Does not seem smart to burn bridges screwy.gif.

I also agree with Darth.

Owners can price their books at whatever value they like. If the buyer doesn't agree with the pricing, then they always have the option of moving on. That being said, I typically don't mind low ball offers either.............as long as the customer is polite. Heck, I've sold a couple of books on ComicLink for 80% of my asking price after initially receiving a 50% offer. People like to haggle.

When I was only purchasing books, I never realized what type of mind set sellers had until I became one. There are so many things or reasons that go through your mind when contemplating selling your collection:

1.) Sell the book as quickly as possible even at a loss since you need the funds.

2.) Try to break even on the book.

3.) Price the book over guide since the movie is only 1 year away. It will either sell now to a speculator, or a year from now when the movie is hot.

4.) You want to keep the book in your collection, but are willing to sell it at 30% over guide...............either because it cost you that much to begin with or anything less than that price would not justify you selling the book. Just because a book is listed for sale, doesn't mean the owner wants to get rid of it like the plague!

Hey, Darth, I'll give you $15.50. You gotta take this offer man, it just doesn't get much better. And I'll sweeten the deal to $20 if you toss in a nice Spidey .30 Variant. I figure those go for $5 or so in VF/VF+?

I'm almost sad that you guys are blocking him. It would be fun reading to have an ongoing update of what he's offering as time goes by.

Hey, Darth, I'll give you $15.50. You gotta take this offer man, it just doesn't get much better. And I'll sweeten the deal to $20 if you toss in a nice Spidey .30 Variant. I figure those go for $5 or so in VF/VF+?

takeit.gif

I'm almost sad that you guys are blocking him. It would be fun reading to have an ongoing update of what he's offering as time goes by.

start here

And then again, there's the feedback he's left for others that caused me to raise an eyebrow - and then immediately launch eBay to block this sorry wretch...

Larry

I was selling an Adventure Comics #462, and had a reserve of $35. One guy places 5 bids, then sends me a message asking what the reserve is, because he won't go over $10.

I tell him it's over $10, but good luck trying to get a VF+ copy for $10. 27_laughing.gif

gossip.gif BTW, it sold for my reserve of $35 with a snipe. acclaim.gif

Lowball offers are just something that comes with the "best offer" territory, but I try to find it entertaining.

It can be hard to respond politely to some of the ridiculous offers people will send you. I don't care when I get them, I sometimes just ignore them, and leave them hanging for the duration of the offer. What amazes me is all of the expert advice you can get about selling your books or the value of them, when you do turn down an offer.

On the flip side. I made an offer on a comic the other day that was listed at $575.

GPA on the book was about $430 - I made an offer of $375, low but respectable. Man, did this guy give me a monitor full.

I'll offer you $10K for the 9.2 Showcase #4! It's only a 9.2!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, sold! Of course, you forgot that extra zero, right?

I'll bite - $010000.00 yay.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

5/12/06 response by Monticelous:

"You're too stupid to know how to barter. GPA Analysis.com

whatever, I go by Overstreet. $10 shipping? You are a fraud.

Don't bother with the lengthy diatribe, keep your silly book...lol I

work for Marvel, I'm gonna put out the word on you, bud. "

Looks like the word is out on me guys...how am I ever going to cope? yeahok.gif

I'm glad the doofus is blocked.

Christ, what an [embarrassing lack of self control]

Tonight, I had someone offer $15 on a CGC 9.0 Conan 63 variant I had up in my store with the BIN/Best Offer. I politely declined with no comment.

Seconds later I get this email from the spurned potential buyer:

"Come on, this book goes for $40 at the most with a CGC 9.4

rating. What is the lowest price you can go at? Do you want to

sell this or not?"

I respond with:

"I want to sell it not give it away. I don't know where you get your information but I price these slightly ($5-$10) over cost? Why do I have to justify my sale price to you? Check GPA Analysis.com on recent past prices for this variant. CGc 9.2 = $70.69 2/2006, CGC 9.0 = $49.99 2/2005; Don't insult me with a low ball offer and act in a huff because it gets rejected and write me an antagonistic email. This book with a 9.4 rating would at least fetch $150. If you want this book then at least offer what I paid for it = $49.99 + $10 shipping = my cost = $60. Hey guess what? That's what I posted it up there for as a buy it now! If it cost me $60; why would I jump at the chance to sell it for $15 to a guy who insults my intelligence and my fair pricing structure? Maybe I should come back with = Hey, come on man, if you want to play, you pay... Here's some advice. If you really want a VF/NM Conan 63 variant for $15, then comb ebay and take your chances on spotting a raw hidden copy and bid $10 and pay $5 shipping. I wanted a high grade copy that was already graded by CGC and I paid $60 for it back in the day. Do you bother all ebay sellers whose prices you don't want to pay, or did I just get lucky?"

Let the games begin... frustrated.gif

This guy has 110 feedback so I think he may have been trying to pull a fast one. If this is a forumite who did this, then shame on you and you should know better than wasting my time with this BS. 893censored-thumb.gif

Let me guess... "monticelous" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've got the 61 up in VF+ for $29.99... what the heck! It was 10 cent day!!!

This was his first mail:

Monticelous: "Hey, if you want to sell this book for $10, I would be glad to buy

it. Thanks. "

Me: "I'm sure you would! Sorry, but I will not be selling it for that amount. I purchased it for more than that. If it doesn't sell this time around, it will go into the store where best offers will be accepted. You can try then... but I'm sure $10 won't do it. Thanks for inquiring! Good luck on finding one... "

Monticelous: "Why would I want to buy it from someone who got ripped off

paying more than $30 for this book??? Your ethics in selling are

as bad as they for buying. Hang it in your store, and let it collect

dust. You dealers are hilarious..."

Me: "I don't know where you get off on calling my ETHICS into question??? I am sorry I didn't accept your low ball offer! Go and buy the VG+ copy for $19.99... or maybe he'll take $10 for it! Anyways... good luck and thanks for satopping by! Oh, and thanks for the dealer comment, it makes me feel good seeing as how I am just a guy selling some books smile.gif "

After that he was the first to be added to my "Blocked Bidders List". With arsewipes like this, I don't want to give them the time of day!

Was I wrong? Did I handle it right? It's the first time I've had this type of insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I am sure it won't be the last!

John thumbsup2.gif

John, you are right on the money. I'm sorry this clown has come your way as well. I was trying to spare the guy some embarrasment by not outing him directly but I see now that it is a pattern of thinking, some sense of entitlement to books at the crazy lowball prices he offers. I think you are right on with blocking this bidder and I will do the same. I'd like to think I'm reasonable and will work with buyers that I've got some history with. For instance, board member Josh up in Canada (skinny white boy) worked with me on my BIN pricing on SEVERAL books and I was happy to take off $25 - $30 off each book. Was I taking a loss? Yes, but Josh was someone I had a good history with on these boards and I was glad to help him out to satisfy his first few attempts into the whole variant collecting scene. But some joker out of the blue shoots me an offer that would cover the grading cost and then berates me afterward for rejecting the offer is one person I'll be glad never ever to work with.

Thanks Darth. I figured blocking him would be the best approach as I don't want to be "attacked" by someone at a later date becasue I didn't bend over for them! I think you did the right thing as well, we don't need buyers like this! I don't know about you, but I'm not hurting for the cash and that book can stay in my office as long as it likes! smile.gif

He wrote back again today, short and sweet!

Monticelous: "You are a rip off. Period"

Oh well... I guess I can't please all of the people all of the time!

Judging by the post above, the guy is bidding on quite a few Conans. Too bad he won't have a couple of nice variants!!!

I won't even respond to this insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If he is a board member, which I doubt, then I am glad that I outed him for the childish arsewipe that he is! I DO NOT go looking for trouble (anymore wink.gif ), but that surely doesn't mean I wouldn't defend my self/reputation when I need to!

John thumbsup2.gif

yes, the GA slab seller who listed a few hundred thousand in GA slabs last year to buy a house or something or other likes to send me best offers every couple of months, for the same GA slabs I have up over and over, for like 25-35% of what I have them at, occasionally 50%. i either reject or ignore all of them, but it's a pain when 15 come in at once. at this point i don't think any of my GA slabs are really beyond guide + grading fee, so it's not like they're priced at triple guide to start. I'm cool with selling one or two of these books a month for prices close to what I'm listing them at. No need to blow them out.

the best/most insulting was $5 for a $75 ASM 50 I had up, which was already discounted like 25-30% off guide. It ultimately sold for $65, which is a much less insulting offer.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm, actually, that guy bought something from me (via auction), no problems, postives both ways. quick pay. didn't make any low ball offers on any store items or BINs (but I don't have any conan stuff up).

wouldn't block him from bidding, just don't get caught up in any arguments about pricing. it might be that he doesn't understand why the price variants cost more than the regular issues and is just looking for his conan books. but then again, he ought to appreciate that it's not unreasonable for a seller to want to get back his cost and in particular, the slabbing fee.

I see you making new friends every day stooges.gif