• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Utterly shocking developments?

24 posts in this topic

When was the last time you were SHOCKED by a story line development?I remember being totally thrown for a loop when Logans claws popped out of his skin. Another time would be in 1983 when it seemed that Lyle Norg( Invisable Kid) was alive and stuck in limbo ten years after he was buried.Share some of these moments with us.What have you read that smacked you out of left field?

Alan Moore's ret-con of Swamp Thing as not just a horribly disfigured Alec Holland, but a new plant elemental grown from Holland's dead body. (Remember, this was pre-Crisis before history became so easily changeable!)

I almost puked when I saw that Marvel had exhumed Jean Grey for their X-Force line, and retconned/ruined the entire Dark Phoenix Saga.

I literally went into shock seeing the hacks bring back the Green Goblin/Norman Osborne, using potentially the most illogical and insipid ret-con of all time.

Not shocked, but I LOVED it when Aunt May started the "safe sex" talk after PP and MJW were caught giggling and jumping around after the "I'm Spider Man" disclosure.

Stabbing Elektra was a good shock, which has been lost now that she dies all the damn time.

Kingpin & cronies trouncing Spidey and demasking him, then tossing him out a window like the whole affair wasn't even a thang.

yea, the Jean Grey thing for X-factor totally sucked. I will admit I was very disappointed when colossus died. I think Nightcrawler would have been a much better candidate. Sending havok into that alternative time line at the end of x-factor really sucked. BTW-what ever happened to guido and multiple man. I know mm died but they brought his character back didn't they?

GI Joe around issue 48 when Cobra Commander went underground and all those damn clones or brothers named FRED kept helping him out, then they kill serpentor. I could keep going but we know where this is going to end up.

Firestorm after the big appearance change

Superman after D deviated from Byrnes origin and storylines

Kraven's suicide "Kraven's last hunt".

Norman Osborne returns. "Revelations" PPSM75 I hated the fact that they brought him back as an out for the clone saga mess, but he's such a great villain that I can admit that at the same time I was completely thrilled at his return.

Swamp Thing: (1) learns he was never Alec Holland and was always a plant in "The Anatomy Lesson" SOTSW21 (2) finds out Arcane is still alive and in the body of Matt Cable SOTSW29 (3) Goes to hell to rescue Abby's soul in Annual 3.

Mr. Hyde enjoys the "high life" with the Invisible Man in LOEG II #5. Ewwwwww.

The Joker shoots and cripples Barbara Gordon, then kidnaps and humiliates her father, Commissioner Gordon in "The Killing Joke"

Dynaman has Hitler's brain "The Golden Age" Part 4

Spider-Man is isolated in a transformed Manhattan (he's the only allowed to remain unaffected by the spell), then captured, tortured, crucified and finally killed by the sorcerer Kulan Gath in Uncanny X-Men 190-191.

Kev

AH... The Killing Joke... A perfect example of what I was looking for.Haven't read it in years but get a chill just thinking about it.X-men 190-191 just left me cold. Spidey dies, spidey lives somehow the sum did not equal the parts. There was an issue of Superboy in the early 70s where a youth tries out for the legion. In the course of his mission the legion finds his empty suit and concludes he ws killed. In tribute they encase the suit in a plastic-like field and go on their way, not knowing the lad had turned to pure energy and could not return to the suit due to the force field. Very disturbing, though they straightened it out a year or so later.What is LOEG 11? Sounds like it is worth a look

All great moments fellas. But, for me, it had to be in Preacher when Tulip gets blown away by Jesse's grandmother! I was like, "HOLY F***!!!!!" shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Honorable Mentions:

-Milo getting waxed in 100 Bullets

-Goldielock's shooting Snow White in Fables

-When you realize that Ozymandius's plan in Watchmen is going to work, "I pushed the button 15 minutes ago...."

Chris

LOEG II #5 = League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II or Volume 2 #5

True, the ending of UXM 191 was a cop-out as everything was reversed, but for me, it was perfectly timed because Amazing was in the throes of the Defalco years and I particularly despised the photo cover issue (264?) and quit the title for over two years (Kraven's Last Hunt and MacFarlane brought me back). So as far as I was concerned Spidey "died" in that issue.

I've never liked the Legion so I'm afraid I haven't read the Superboy story (and the follow-up in LOS) you are referring to.

Kev

Spider-Man is isolated in a transformed Manhattan (he's the only allowed to remain unaffected by the spell), then captured, tortured, crucified and finally killed by the sorcerer Kulan Gath in Uncanny X-Men 190-191.

Kev

Agreed. The first page of 191 with Spidey spread-eagled in chains and bleeding was horrifying to a wee lad like myself.

Also, the whole Hulk berserk deal in #'s 295-300 totally upset me. After Bruce Banner's mind was finally able to gain control of the Hulk's body, Nightmare screwed with him to get him to kill Dr. Strange. At the end the Hulk is a mindless monster and Strange, along with the Avengers, are forced to banish him to another dimension.

Thank God, Byrne brought him back 14 issues later.

There was an issue of Superboy in the early 70s where a youth tries out for the legion. In the course of his mission the legion finds his empty suit and concludes he ws killed. In tribute they encase the suit in a plastic-like field and go on their way, not knowing the lad had turned to pure energy and could not return to the suit due to the force field. Very disturbing, though they straightened it out a year or so later.

The story you refer to is in Superboy 195, with early (pre-X-Men) Dave Cockrum art. The applicant was called ERG-1 ("Energy Release Generator?"). His return is foreshadowed in Superboy 200, takes center stage in 201, and ERG-1 is renamed "Wildfire" in 202, the final Cockrum issue. Wildfire was one of the most popular of the late 1970s Legionnaires, if I remember correctly.

Cheers,

Z.