• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Common is Slab Damage due to shipping?

38 posts in this topic

I ask because either I am very unlucky or slab damage in the mail is

rampant.

I don't buy that many CGC'd books in the first place, so my sample is not

that large. I have purchased slabs that needed to be shipped 5 times in the

last 2 years or so.

On three of the five occasions, the books were damaged in transit with

no fault at all to the shipper. In all cases, the books had slid within

the holder during shipping so that the right edge of the books had impacted the

inner well.

I just don' t think this is the rarity many sellers make it out to be. I've

gotten to the point where I almost want to ask the seller to crack the book

out and put it in a mylar to ship.

Out of about 90 slabs I've had shipped,one had SCS,and that corner was much more fuzzy in the scan than the other corners.Of the ones I've picked up in person,a few had slight dents but in every case but one,the price seemed to take the dents into account.Perhaps tipping my carriers and UPS driver earns me karma points!

Unfortunately, I think what happens is the vast majority of SCS books are sold . . . over and over and over again . . . smirk.gif As they are no longer anywhere near their label grade. frown.gif

I have to admit that I've never encountered the problem on the 75-100 books that I have had slabbed and returned to me by CGC. acclaim.gif

Perhaps tipping my carriers and UPS driver earns me karma points!

This never hurts - never miss the ol' Christmas envelope, if you want stellar service grin.gif doesn't matter how much $20 - $50 -- it's the thought that counts. wink.gif

I have to admit that I've never encountered the problem on the 75-100 books that I have had slabbed and returned to me by CGC. acclaim.gif

This makes sense....it's not the first or second trip...it's the books that have been shipped many many times (and/or abused many many times) that show the condition.

This makes sense....it's not the first or second trip...it's the books that have been shipped many many times (and/or abused many many times) that show the condition.

Nope, that is certainly not true across the board. My HOS 92 8.5 has SCS and I submitted it personally. So its' one and only time being shipped resulted in damage to it in the slab. I also only live about an hour from CGC so it wasn't some monumental cross-country trek.

I was very disappointed when it got back to me and still haven't figured how I will sell it when it comes time. I cannot imagine it will not hurt the resale value compared to other copies in grade.

I'd say 5% of CGC books I've had mailed to me have a slab crack or SCS I suspect was caused by shipping. Right now I will not buy anything from the UK, because 5 of the last 10 purchases (raw or CGC) the books arrived damaged; 2 different shipments of CGC books arrived with SCS. Then for books I've sold to the UK, it's taken forever for them to arrive. Fortunately I sent them double boxed otherwise they prob would have been trashed. Sorry no love for UK postal service. sign-rantpost.gif

A well chilled bottle of agua in August goes a LONG,LONG way.

When I was a kid, my Mom always left out a six pack for the Garbage Men grin.gif

you mean Sanitation Engineers makepoint.gif

Environmental Containment Engineers makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifgrin.gif

PGX holders can lead to cover rips and staple tears in some comics? Have you got any examples of this? That sounds worse than SCS.

I have personally never heard of covers detaching from the interiors on PGX books, but this was the reason CGC gave as to why they would not adopt the PGX inner-well design. (before adopting it on Moderns). confused.gif