• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

24 Years Later

14 posts in this topic

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, I always loved annuals. It was like getting an extra edition of a title when only the most popular characters were in two or three books at most. (Unlike today where many characters seem to be in six or seven a month.)

In 1982, I bought my first Batman Annual, #8, from the newstand. Today, 24 years later, I've completed my Batman Annual run:

100_1978.jpg

As a matter of history:

Many of the annuals between 8 and 25 were purchased from the newstand or out of bargain bins to fill in following lenghty absences from comics. Annuals 1 and 5 were purchased in the early to mid 1980s. Annuals 6 and 7 were purchased from Harley Yee at Wondercon 2005. Annuals 3 and 4 came from Heritage in the last year. Annual 2 came from Superworld thanks to a tip from fellow Bat-maniac Ronm3.

The Silver Age annuals range in condition from VG (#5) to VF (#6 and #7):

100_1980.jpg

Now you just need to get your Detective Annual Run Filled out. poke2.gif I know what you are saying about those Batman Annuals. I have been filling my run out for the last few monthes and I can't help but pull one out every once and while. Some of the most fun reading in those. Nice collection. thumbsup2.gif

Looking at the SA covers compared to the modern covers, to me, the SA covers stand out more. The modern covers definitely have better coloring techniques, but the SA covers are much brighter. I know this is due to the printing technology back then. Back then, they did as much as they could with the limited number of colors and I think they still stand out.