• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will so-called "reader" copies be a thing of the past??

39 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about getting "reader" runs of my favorite titles (I am currently working on Hulk and am half way there.) But than I discovered these online:

40yearsXmen.jpg

Anybody else pick these up? I purchased this one and the FF version, there was also an Avengers version that was posted here recently. Makes me wonder if the art of collecting cheap reader copies are going to go by the way side now that you can read them on the compter and even print out your favorite issues! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Eh, waste of ink, which could be at least $30+ (but still all depends on the printer) then you gotta buy the paper, and I don't really like reading comics on the PC, it's one of those things where i'd preffer to read it in person. 27_laughing.gif

I agree Silvers.

I think these CD roms are great for certain instances, but I think most people out there still would like the trades or low grade readers.

These CD's are just another way to get into the market and cover all points.

I agree Silvers.

I think these CD roms are great for certain instances, but I think most people out there still would like the trades or low grade readers.

On a 19" LCD monitor or larger, you essentially can get a readable two page spread on one screen.

Within the next ten years, we'll probably be able to buy flexible portable screens.

The key is to digitize current and past comics to preserve them and to make them accessible for a future audience.

I agree Silvers.

On a 19" LCD monitor or larger, you essentially can get a readable two page spread on one screen.

Within the next ten years, we'll probably be able to buy flexible portable screens.

The key is to digitize current and past comics to preserve them and to make them accessible for a future audience.

Sure, the technology will be there (eventually) but I (for one or two) don't want to come home to look at a computer screen after looking at one all day.

I agree, though, that today's generation of readers may not have the added nostalgic nudge of wanting the actual comic in hand.

I already compromised on this and settled for Masterworks, just getting a few of my favorite issues in their original form.

I wonder about this as well. I have a huge collection of silver age comics in "reader" condition.

Over the last several years I have seen a few things that may affect the demand for reader copies. One is the increased demand for high grade CGC copies. Two is the major companies publishing black and white compilations. And three is the inexorable degrading of newsprint. When a copy is low grade to start with, brittleness is around the corner.

I have been collecting the lower grade copies for about 11 years. I think that prices on non-key books in good and lower have fallen in the past two or three years. Sample prices-- X-men #2 purchased two months ago on Ebay in "reader" cost me about $65, X-men #3 purchased last week on Ebay in about good cost me $26. Journey into Mystery #84 in F-G at a convention was priced at $85 Canadian by two different dealers (about $77 American). Journey into Myster #86 missing a corner was $25 Canadian at the same convention (about $23 American). I don't think I would have found those prices five years ago. I think they reflect lack of demand.

i'm in the 'rather hold it than mouse it' group.

when i have kids, i hope to instill that in them as well.

thumbsup2.gif

My kids definitely prefer to snuggle up with a real book wherever they want.

Well, I have to agree that as the kids grow up there will be less demand for the paper "reader" copies. I mean, yes, for us old fogies (I'm 34, 27_laughing.gif) the memories and sentimental value makes those copies worth something to us, but for the younger crowd its not there. I mean, think of it this way, why would you want to pay $25-$50 an issue for a reader copy when you can pay $30-$40 for a cd with the 1st 500 issues of Spider-man in perfect digital goodness? I have to agree that the bottom will eventually drop out for the reader copy market and more people will move toward wanting the high end grade books.

Call me crazy, but I even hate TPBs and will only buy real comics. I don't care if they are beat up, I would rather hold a real comic than look at a screen or hold a big squarebound book.

I like reading comics in as close a form to the original as possible. I buy reprints when the original material is too expensive even in low grade. And preferably in softcover.

As a GA comic fan, I've found that there is A LOT of GA comics that have never been reprinted. And I'm not talking about second tier publishers like Fox or Prize. I'm talking about Batman comics from the 1940s with cool Joker and Penguin stories. Also, most of the Captain America run including some of the Atlas superhero revival stories from the 1950s (like Young Men #27 where Red Skull dies!).

Some of the earlier and more important stories have been reprinted in 60s/70s and more recently in Archives and Masterworks. But with so many long runs of major titles, the vast majority hasn't been. Of course, there are quite a few stories that probably aren't worth reading. tongue.gif But it seems such a shame that there is so much of the early history of the major heroes & villains that very few people have read.

That's why the GA reader copy will be with us for a long time to come. I'm starting to buy coverless copies of GA comics featuring major villains which haven't been reprinted. They are cheap enough that I don't care about condition and just happy to get to read the stories.

Well, the other day someone was looking for Trades of Sandman 1-10. Now, that would probably run 80-120 for those. I run can be had in pretty decent shape(VF/NM) for less than that so I am of the opinion that "readers" will still have their place.

I think you are still looking at it from your "older" perspective rather than looking at the younger crowd and what they would want. Again, look at what you grew up on versus that of the 16 year old of today. He/she has never known a time when Cable/Satellite tv wasn't available to everyone, when there wasn't PC's, cellphones, beepers, microwaves, the internet, mp3 players, cds, dvds. Jeez, you can replay and download tv shows you just saw last night!

Now compare comics to music. Instead of collecting albums/tapes/cds of your favorite artists you can now download 1,000 songs to your Nano iPod that's no bigger than a credit card. Now would that teenager want to buy reader copies of anything or get 500 comics on a cd for one low price?

Several things many reprints in TPB and CD-ROM don't have that reader copies do are the original advertising, letters pages and in-house columns, and the smell. Part of reading old books for me is looking at the old ads and reading the letter columns.

I remember seeing old CBG ads for golden age comics in Fiche format. You could take them to a public library for viewing or buy your own fiche-reader. And if I remember correctly they were very expensive. So customers for those must be in heaven with today's inexpensive DVD format.

What's missing today is "easier" portability. When tablet pc's are larger and cheaper, where you can easily read "complete libraries" in any room in the house, the car or airplanes, it could impact back issue sales. The reasons are pretty strong...

*Storage space is measured in gigabits instead of square feet.

*Collecting goals would be different (...finished with every Spider-man appearance and moving on to Batman. Do you have Brave and the Bold ?)

*With cover-to-cover scans no information is missing, except the physical presence of the book. The colors are rich and bright, and you can zoom in on artwork details.

*Being able to "carry it all with you" to enjoy whereever you are. With physical back issues the weight would be measured in tonnage.

There's a sense that it's still very early in the world of comic book digital archiving. But give it another decade or two.

sahara_pen.jpg

Plus it is very uncomfortable resting that monitor on your chest laying in bed next to your kid reading them a good night story.

Also makes bathroom reading a challenge. yeahok.gif

My take on it is money. Pure and simple, if it cheaper to buy the comic books. Buy the comic books.

But that's the point. Its not cheaper. I can go to Best Buy and get the Spider-man dvd/cd rom that has the first 500 issues of Amazing Spider-man plus extras for $30-$40. I'll do that and you buy the same 500 reader issues and then lets compare the price tag. And as far as portability, like someone said, I can take my cd anywhere..heck I can just download it into my laptop. Now let me take it with me on a trip and you take your 500 issues and lets see who has an easier time getting around. 27_laughing.gif

Again, everyone is still going "I like this" or "I want that". You've got to look at the younger reader and think what he/she would want.

I (for one or two) don't want to come home to look at a computer screen after looking at one all day.

This is where I'm coming from as well. I enjoy comics because they are a fun escape from the real world. Trying to read a comic book on a computer would defeat the purpose for me.