• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

That sounds like 90% of the guys posting on the boards! blush.gif But I like to think that even if I had an extra $2,400 sitting around, I still wouldn't bid more than I bid originally. I don't mind over-paying a bit occasionally, but this is a higher order of nosebleed.

I agree with ya, Brad. I have never understood the prices being paid for 9.6's and 9.8's.

That sounds like 90% of the guys posting on the boards! blush.gif But I like to think that even if I had an extra $2,400 sitting around, I still wouldn't bid more than I bid originally. I don't mind over-paying a bit occasionally, but this is a higher order of nosebleed.

I agree with ya, Brad. I have never understood the prices being paid for 9.6's and 9.8's.

Especially when so many of them have had "help" to get such a high grade.

blush.gif

It get's very difficult to get record prices when as George said you can buy a FF run by combining my site, Comiclink, Pedigree etc.

That's why the smart money moved into early SA DC a while ago. wink.gif You can't assemble a HG run at any price.

It get's very difficult to get record prices when as George said you can buy a FF run by combining my site, Comiclink, Pedigree etc.

That's why the smart money moved into early SA DC a while ago. wink.gif You can't assemble a HG run at any price.

The prob is demand for SA DC is SO MUCH lower though poke2.gif

The prob is demand for SA DC is SO MUCH lower though poke2.gif

All it takes is 2 avid collectors, because there`s usually often only 1 9.4 copy. gossip.gif

And there are more of us out there than you think! We`ll surface when you least expect it. cool.gif

I hate to think of it TIm....but once all the Marvels have been massaged up as high as they can go......it's HELLO, DC SILVER! We've seen a couple of outrageous samples on the boards over the last year as it is.

If there aren't enough high grade DCs....BY GAWD, we'll MAKE THEM!

Do you guys think that the upward "massaging" of grades through resubs and...ahem "other" practices, has anything to do with this trend? Are 9.4s simply becoming more common. Are today's 9.4s, yesterdays 9.0s? confused-smiley-013.gif

What will happen when 90% of the books in the census have morphed to 9.0 and above?

Most definitely!

Whenever there is uncertainty in a marketplace, it tends to have a negative effect on prices. With all of the fiascos happening in the current graded comic book marketplace, there is nothing but uncertainty as nobody knows what they are truly getting anymore.

Why would anybody in their right mind be willing to paying multiples more for a book that had been worked on in order to achieve a juiced up grade as long as it still shows up in a blue label. Especially when they could have gotten the same true unrestored book for a substantially lower price.

For all the pro-pressers who always claim that they are willing to pay the same price for a artificially juiced up book as they would for a virgin unrestored book, they should step up and open their wallets to back up their words. Unfortunately, the majority of them appears to be interested in buying only the virgin books and selling off the juiced up books.

If they truly believe what they claim, they should really be buying up the juiced up books and selling off their virgin books. Who really has the hidden agenda here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Given a choice if a copy was available, I would be more more willing to pay this kind of above guide money for an Action #55 as opposed to a FF #55.

With respect, I do think your comparing apples with oranges. Yes what your saying is valid, but they are separated by two very distinct collecting groups. And in the silver age group FF#55 in high grade is a sought after book.

Pym;

I totally agree with you about the apples and oranges comparison. But that was one of the intentions of my post.

In any marketplace and the comic book marketplace would be no exception, the overall market is divided into different segments. For our marketplace, the various ages would represent some of these segments. Normally, when one segment (ie. SA) has gone through some spectucular price increases in comparison to one of the other segments (ie. GA), there is a temporary pause as money shifts into the other segment and their is some kind of catch up that takes place.

We saw this exact same phenomenon back in the 90's when the SA market paused, the MA market crashed, and the GA market took off like a rocket after some spectacular years of increases in the SA and MA books. Not sure if this is starting to happen right now, but there does appear to be more interest in GA books now as compared to the past.

Some of our own board members seems to have shifted into GA from some of the other ages. I noticed last year that the total number of posts on the SA board was substantailly higher than the GA board. If you look right now, I believe this has now reversed with the number of postings on the GA board outnumbering the number of postins on the SA board by a wide margin.

Right now, I see no reason for collectors to be throwing record tons of money at what are basically common, mid-run, non-key SA for the simple fact that they are high grade, especially when nobody knows anymore if they are true high grades or artificially juiced up high grades.

Smart money usually shifts into the undervaluved segments of the market when the once hot segment is perceived as overpriced/overvlaued and is also filled with uncertainty at the same time.

By request, here is the Pacific Coast copy of FF#12. This was purchased raw from PCEI back in May of '99, among the first listing of the PC collection on Robert Roter's website. Some minor Marvel prechipping along the right edge keeps it from a higher grade. I love the feeling of tension and impending disaster this cover evokes:

FF12.jpg

By request, here is the Pacific Coast copy of FF#12. This was purchased raw from PCEI back in May of '99, among the first listing of the PC collection on Robert Roter's website. Some minor Marvel prechipping along the right edge keeps it from a higher grade. I love the feeling of tension and impending disaster this cover evokes:

FF12.jpg

jiminycricket Bob that is a sweet sweet book!