• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

Bob sold his publications (the Guide) to Geppi, and the collection went in as part of the deal, or, negotiated outside of the deal, but at the same time. Take your pick. Geppi later opened the vault and had an informal sale in the library the next morning where Bobs books were litereally wheeled into the room on a large whatchacallit. Those in the room had first crack at any box and books they could gain physical control of. This sale later came to be referred to as the "Feeding Frenzy" as it recalled perfectly chumming for sharks.

The FFs were most probably in one of the boxes that day and bought and paid for by one of the dealers present.

Jim,

From my understanding, when the original owner, Calvin Slobodian, presented his books to CGC for pedigree designation, a few (that he must've bought second hand) had some color touches. I guess CGC couldn't rationalize giving the pedigree when there was now a doubt if they were all original owner books. If he had presented his books the right way (with full documentation as there were lists, etc) then I think CGC would have given the pedigree. It's just too bad as his books were unreal. I had runs of both FF's and Spideys from his collection plus a Silver Surfer run and the books averaged 9.4!! (I wrote an article on my website about his collection). His early FF's were just ridiculous and the #1 that I sold (was a 9.2) might be the 3rd 9.4 in the census because it was killer and most likely got upgraded. I remember driving to Marnin's house to buy that copy (ungraded) so as to complete my FF Slobodian run (I'm pretty sure it was April, 1998). Of all the would be pedigrees that have not received CGC blessing, that collection by far is the most deserving (tied with the Golden State Collection).

Slobodian also had a Timely collection that was about 75% complete when he sold the entire collection to Verzyl in the 80's. Many of those books were pictured for the Gerber Photo Journal, including the Captain America Comics #2, All-Winners #4 and #12 that I bought from Verzyl in the 90's. They were extermely nice copies averaging 8.5 with Off-White to White pages.

Slobodian did CT and tear seals to many of his own books, luckily not that many.

West

Bob sold his publications (the Guide) to Geppi, and the collection went in as part of the deal, or, negotiated outside of the deal, but at the same time. Take your pick. Geppi later opened the vault and had an informal sale in the library the next morning where Bobs books were litereally wheeled into the room on a large whatchacallit. Those in the room had first crack at any box and books they could gain physical control of. This sale later came to be referred to as the "Feeding Frenzy" as it recalled perfectly chumming for sharks.

The FFs were most probably in one of the boxes that day and bought and paid for by one of the dealers present.

Aman;

As far as I can remember, there was not a single SA or BA book that were in those boxes that came out of the vault that day. They were basically all GA and Atom Age books as far as I could tell since GA was the rage and red hot during that particular time period.

I believe the books that were made available came from Bob's side of the collection. They never got around to wheeling out Martha's side of the collection. Even then, I don't remember seeing any SA books when I was inside the actual vault later on. Either that or I wasn't paying close enough attention to that "warehouse" full of boxes.

Maybe Overstreet let some of his SA books go prior to the Diamond Gallery opening or they were just not deemed important enough to wheel out? In fact, I don't even remember a single SA book on display in the actual vault or in the library itself. Either that or it's just my GA blinders I had on at the time. Okay, I do remember mint fresh copies of Big Little Books along with Barks paintings and statutes.

Hope Bob Storms comes back and let us know when and how he managed to get the Overstreet copies of FF's. thumbsup2.gif

I saw the Overstreet TTA 27 offerred to me at some point, and thats SA. But, it might have been lumped in with the PreHero Atlas/Marvels... hard to see Bob NOT calling it a SA book though, huh?

but youre right - - it culd have been in the "Mrs.'" stacks of books.

Scott,

$4,000 (about 9 x guide). A hefty price I know, but a 9.6 Pacific Coast!!

Should help increse the value of the 9.4's out there as well (especially the white pagers you have/had).

Doug

Don't you mean 9.6 Slobodian? poke2.gif

Actually, $4,000 is about what I would expect for that book. I got $2350 for the better of the two CGC 9.4s in May '05. I don't remember what I got for the other one, but I think it was around $1800 or $1850 -- unfortunately, it had a slightly slanted miswrap and the written code smack dab in the middle of the front cover, both of which I found distracting when I owned it, so it wasn't as attractive a copy as the nicer of the two.

were those sales for more than you paid for them? I keep wondering if theres any money left on th etable when books sell for so much.

Yes, I think I paid $1800 for the nicer copy and $1750 for the other. I owned both for about a year.

Aman;

As far as I can remember, there was not a single SA or BA book that were in those boxes that came out of the vault that day. They were basically all GA and Atom Age books as far as I could tell since GA was the rage and red hot during that particular time period.

I believe the books that were made available came from Bob's side of the collection. They never got around to wheeling out Martha's side of the collection. Even then, I don't remember seeing any SA books when I was inside the actual vault later on. Either that or I wasn't paying close enough attention to that "warehouse" full of boxes.

Maybe Overstreet let some of his SA books go prior to the Diamond Gallery opening or they were just not deemed important enough to wheel out? In fact, I don't even remember a single SA book on display in the actual vault or in the library itself. Either that or it's just my GA blinders I had on at the time. Okay, I do remember mint fresh copies of Big Little Books along with Barks paintings and statutes.

Hope Bob Storms comes back and let us know when and how he managed to get the Overstreet copies of FF's. thumbsup2.gif

In 1995 I visited Diamond and leafed through Overstreet's SA Marvel and DC books. The Marvels were ones he bought off the newstand and nice but I don't recall any that were "killer" -- though I wasn't really looking for them so it's certainly possible that some of the later ones were quite nice. The runs were still mostly intact. I seem to recall many having slight foxing. The DCs were generally low grade, not purchased off the newstand. I didn't buy any of the Marvels and just a couple of the DCs.

I guess that these wouldn't qualify as "killer"

Fantastic Four 12 NM-/NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 13 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 14 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 15 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 17 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 18 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 20 NM/NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 21 NM- CGC 9.0, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 22 NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 27 NM+ CGC 9.2, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 28 NM- Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 32 NM- CGC 9.0, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 35 NM- CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 36 NM- Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 37 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 38 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 39 NM-/NM CGC 9.6, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 41 NM-/NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 42 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 45 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 52 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 55 NM/NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 76 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 79 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

At that point in looking through Marvels I would have called NM+ a "killer" book. I actually don't have a recollection of seeing any FFs, and I wouldn't have paid much attention to books 1965 and later.

I guess that these wouldn't qualify as "killer"

Fantastic Four 12 NM-/NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 13 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 14 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 15 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 17 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 18 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 20 NM/NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 21 NM- CGC 9.0, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 22 NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 27 NM+ CGC 9.2, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 28 NM- Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 32 NM- CGC 9.0, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 35 NM- CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 37 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 38 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 39 NM-/NM CGC 9.6, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 41 NM-/NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 42 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 45 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 52 NM CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 55 NM/NM+ CGC 9.4, Overstreet copy

Fantastic Four 76 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Fantastic Four 79 NM CGC 9.2, Overstreet Copy

Bob;

Nice little pick-up on your part with the FF's. cloud9.gif

Approximately when did you pick these up from Overstreet and were there any Spideys left in his collection by this time?

I also assume you must have had to pay a nice little multiple to guide for them. Even so, it must look like a bargain compare to prices during the past few years.

Congrats again. thumbsup2.gif

CGC graded the 36 a 9.4. That's a very respectable run of books.

Any ideas where the first 10 issues of the run went to, or were they already long gone by the time Blazing Bob got to the books?

Why so much interest in a bunch of dumb old SA books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's just getting kind of quiet on all of the various boards here.

Gotta expand my horizons before I fall asleep here. Maybe I'll try some of those nice little HG early SA DC's.

Would you happen to have any extra which you can spare such as your BB #28. poke2.gif

Would you happen to have any extra which you can spare such as your BB #28. poke2.gif

...I heard his B&B #28 9.4 was a 5.5 before it was pressed,... tongue.gif

...I heard his B&B #28 9.4 was a 5.5 before it was pressed,... tongue.gif

That's okay.

I've got nothing against pressing since you was kind enough to disclose it to me. I am sure that Tim will price it accordingly as a restored 5.5 now. 27_laughing.gif