• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

What an issue! It may not be the toughest one to find in high grade but it sure packs a lot of punch.Stan and Jack were definitely not letting off on the throttle.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

FF-44-98.jpg

Enter the Inhumans !This one was just recently broken out in the Overstreet to enjoy FULL key status(and rightly so).Try to find a copy above 9.0.This was some pretty heavy stuff,no wonder the college crowd was going ape over the House of Ideas.GOD BLESS...

FF-45-98.jpg

Who could have resisted this bright red masterpiece of suspense and thrills?Black Bolt is one of those iconic characters who has so far managed to be spared a costume design "improvement".GOD BLESS...

FF-46-98.jpg

James,

Thanks for getting this posted. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this issue (even more so than #39 and all the issues in the 40's save for #45 and possibly #49). The cover is just awesome and doesn't lend itself to being found in high grade condition. This copy comes from the underated and overlooked Slobodian collection that should have attained pedigree status (my #4 and #22 are Slobodians as well also 9.6's).

Keep it up, James. If you can post, I shall scan.

Doug

This classic cover graces the first FF that I ever remember seeing in a massive stack my Aunt Elsie gave me back in "67.No wonder I just can't seem to shake these things.GOD BLESS...

FF-47-98.jpg

In a way,I'm glad I DON'T own this perfectly centered mega copy.If I were to start looking at it,I might not be able to stop.

My computer started smoking as I began to upload this monster copy.Not much that I can say that hasn't been said about this one.GOD BLESS...

FF-48-98.jpg

James,

Thanks for getting this posted. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this issue (even more so than #39 and all the issues in the 40's save for #45 and possibly #49). The cover is just awesome and doesn't lend itself to being found in high grade condition. This copy comes from the underated and overlooked Slobodian collection that should have attained pedigree status (my #4 and #22 are Slobodians as well also 9.6's).

Keep it up, James. If you can post, I shall scan.

Doug

I always wondered why the Slobodians didn't get pedigree status.All hand picked by the same owner and preserved in a time when that just didn't make sense...sounds like a pedigree to me.GOD BLESS...

p.s. Maybe because many were sold before CGC and would be difficult to document confused-smiley-013.gif.

Jim,

From my understanding, when the original owner, Calvin Slobodian, presented his books to CGC for pedigree designation, a few (that he must've bought second hand) had some color touches. I guess CGC couldn't rationalize giving the pedigree when there was now a doubt if they were all original owner books. If he had presented his books the right way (with full documentation as there were lists, etc) then I think CGC would have given the pedigree. It's just too bad as his books were unreal. I had runs of both FF's and Spideys from his collection plus a Silver Surfer run and the books averaged 9.4!! (I wrote an article on my website about his collection). His early FF's were just ridiculous and the #1 that I sold (was a 9.2) might be the 3rd 9.4 in the census because it was killer and most likely got upgraded. I remember driving to Marnin's house to buy that copy (ungraded) so as to complete my FF Slobodian run (I'm pretty sure it was April, 1998). Of all the would be pedigrees that have not received CGC blessing, that collection by far is the most deserving (tied with the Golden State Collection).

i bought some issues from his overstreet ad in the middle 1990s. nice books but he did say at one time that he had done amatuer restoraton to a few of his own books. also as you said no documentetion so no way to tell which books he buys original owner and which ones he got as dealer.

Cloned,

good point. I think he himself screwed up but when you look at it objectively, this guy had high grade runs of most SA Marvel titles. The FF's were really gorgeous and a bunch of the Spideys graded at 9.4 and 9.6. The books did have a uniform look to them and many had a date stamp on the back cover (DN). As far as I could tell they were all his originally owned books. Too bad the pieces couldn't be put together to formulate the pedigree. It really has all the characteristics of one.

I know he's out there somewhere and it would be great for Calvin to join in this discussion and tell us the history of his books, etc.

Great books in this thread! Congrats to all the lucky owners...especially Doug!

Last night I noticed that Pacific Coast copies of FF 22 and 40 were grabbed very quickly at the BIN price on Pedigree...is someone filling the holes in his PC FF run ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Last night I noticed that Pacific Coast copies of FF 22 and 40 were grabbed very quickly at the BIN price on Pedigree...is someone filling the holes in his PC FF run ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Doubt it, since Doug is the only one on the planet with a PC FF run to fill. 27_laughing.gif

Doubt it, since Doug is the only one on the planet with a PC FF run to fill. 27_laughing.gif

I'm aware of that! He's the one I was refering to wink.gif

BTW Bob, you did not answer my last PM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry for not responding, Frederic, but right now I'm not looking to buy or trade any ST slabs.

As for Doug's PC run, the books were being sold on Doug's website, so I figured these were "lesser" duplicate copies he was looking to unload.

Bob,

I actually grabbed the #22 as I already have a taker for my #22 9.6 Slobodian copy. I used to own the 40 9.4 (awesome book) but I have a 9.6 (Slobodian copy again) so didn't want to have doubles. At one point I was keeping all PC copies (even 9.0's or 9.2's just to keep the run intact) but this is too expensive a hobby to keep doubles anymore!!

I am sending some more scans to Jimbo today and if he can post them, great.

Thanks to all for chiming in on this great thread.

Doug

Bob,

I actually grabbed the #22 as I already have a taker for my #22 9.6 Slobodian copy. I used to own the 40 9.4 (awesome book) but I have a 9.6 (Slobodian copy again) so didn't want to have doubles. At one point I was keeping all PC copies (even 9.0's or 9.2's just to keep the run intact) but this is too expensive a hobby to keep doubles anymore!!

I am sending some more scans to Jimbo today and if he can post them, great.

Thanks to all for chiming in on this great thread.

Doug

Doug,

What did the 9.6 #22 sell for, if you don't mind my asking?

They're not mine,Joe.I posted them for Doug,and had quite a bit of fun doing it.I'm lucky to end up with the occasional 9.0.They sure were some SHARP books.GOD BLESS...

That is correct

I had the first FF #12 9.4 and #13 9.4.

Both books came from the Overstreet collection.

Bob;

When did Overstreet released the SA FF's from his collection?

Was this around the time of the Diamond Gallery opening in early '95 when all the GA books came out or was it all the way back in the late 80's?

Was this just a piecemeal sale of just a couple of books or did he let most of his SA Marvels go at the same time?

Thanks, since it's always interesting to find out these things. thumbsup2.gif