• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Battle 34

Battle34.jpg

I love Atlas war books but overall they can't hold a candle to their DC counterparts but I don't think DC ever did a cover like this one. DC covers seemed kind of formulaic while Atlas seemed to experiment a little more.

Admittedly, a generalization.

This cover blows me away!

hail.gifhail.gif

Andy

Heya Shep,

Yeah, the only reason I passed that along was because it was the result of an upgrade. I recall looking at that one and the one I kept and wringing my hands and brooding over the decision for more than an hour unable to come to something decisive. I'm still not sure that there's much of a quantifiable difference between the 2 copies. They're both damned nice and are the prettiest I've ever seen.

Definitely let us take a "boo" (as only Shep can say it) at your #79.

I well remember getting that book from you Mick! Thanks again... everytime I look at it, it just freaks me out... it's one of the absolute all time classic Heath greytones.

As for the #79, I just downloaded the drivers for the scanner onto my new Mac so I'll try and scan it tonight. I also got a pretty nice copy of #54 last year that hasn't been scanned - I'll put that up too.

Shep

I love Atlas war books but overall they can't hold a candle to their DC counterparts but I don't think DC ever did a cover like this one. DC covers seemed kind of formulaic while Atlas seemed to experiment a little more.

Admittedly, a generalization.

For overall production quality/coloring, I like DC but I have no problem with the free-wheeling style of cover and stories at Atlas. Overall quality may be lower, but they also gave their artists a little more room to work. For example, many of Heath's best war covers were done for Atlas.

As promised, a couple of nice early G.I. Combats. These are the first new scans I've made in ages, so it's nice to be back in the saddle.

First up, G.I. Combat #54, one of the great non-greytone covers of this era.

gic550001.jpg

And the previously mentioned, G.I. Combat #79. It's a pretty tight copy... a light crease in the corner, but it doesn't break colour along its whole length. Came out of an original owner collection that surface in London, Ontario 3 or 4 years ago... I was lucky enough to get first pick of the war books the day after the dealer acquired them. One of the greatest war covers of all time, to be sure.

gic790002-1.jpg

And the previously mentioned, G.I. Combat #79. It's a pretty tight copy... a light crease in the corner, but it doesn't break colour along its whole length. Came out of an original owner collection that surface in London, Ontario 3 or 4 years ago... I was lucky enough to get first pick of the war books the day after the dealer acquired them. One of the greatest war covers of all time, to be sure.

gic790002-1.jpg

London, Ontario, eh? Damn! Coulda been my next door neighbour. foreheadslap.gif

Andy

Andy, it was an interesting situation. I had been in conact with Neil over at N8K comics on a Friday early in January, about some Bronze war books. He called me on Sunday, saying this collection of books had just walked in off the street. Classic story... older gentleman was moving out of his house, found his collection of 500+ books, nearly all DC from 1955-1960. All genres, with about 75 war books.

Neil gave me a list, and sent scans of the particular books I wanted. Generally, they were FN... but nice solid ones, with a couple of VFs in there. All in the $35-$70 range. I bought 30 or 40 of the books over the next little while, all off the scans. I was thrilled with them.

Here are a smattering of books from that collection. Yes, there are flaws, but overall they're a joy.

off32.jpg

off19.jpg

ssws83a.jpg

ssws81.jpg

off25.jpg

off20.jpg

Indeed, great books! I got the sloppy seconds from that collection, by the way. Mind you, they weren't that sloppy. They are happily sitting in my cool long boxes of DC war.

Andy

A Favorite cover menofwar.jpg

One of my faves... and for some strange reason is took me years to find a nice copy.

Heath's the king.

There's just something about those Heath night-time greytone covers. Here's a coupla other faves that suit that very sub-sub-sub-sub genre.

Shep

gic80.jpg

Here's my old copy... I've since upgraded.

5f3f323a.jpg

0377ff39.jpg

gic91.jpg

4f_3.jpg

oaaw126.jpg