• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just got this pretty sweet copy in.... Great gloss, though the edges on the interior pages are showing a little tan.

Still... great book with a Heath frogman story and some sweet Kubert art to boot!

aamow56.jpg

Cool book, Shep! :headbang:

Andy

D-Mac... those are fabulous pickups. Especially finding them in a shop!!! I haven't found a really nice war comic in a shop in probably two years!

Tatter, those are great slabs.... of all of them, I really like the two OFFs. The more I see of those Grandenetti Gunner n Sarge covers, the more I like them.

Nice all around,

Shep

Thanks Shep, i have known the shop owner for awhile, but never bought war books from him. He wanted me to get on his e-mail list just in case anymore come in. There are few more books i was looking at, but may have to wait till after the New York Comiccon, but those may be well over priced.

Here's a few books that I've just got in.

G. I. Combat #37 Nova Scotia copy, bought as a VF/NM from ComicConnect, really nice book and happy to own it, didn't come with any certificate, though....

gic37.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #19 bought on eBay as a F/VF, again, nice book, but the back cover has pretty heavy foxing (described by seller as "light"). Give me your opinions, please.

off19001.jpg

off19bc001.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #70, ugh...bought from same seller as that raw GIC 87 8.0, this book was described as a 7.5. Glad my total bill was only $87.00 and not $2000.

off70.jpg

Battle Cry #1 Cool book. I think it was described as a Fine, and I'm quite happy no matter what. Wicked flamethrower cover and I love that little head as their logo. :cloud9:

battlecry1.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #19 bought on eBay as a F/VF, again, nice book, but the back cover has pretty heavy foxing (described by seller as "light"). Give me your opinions, please.

The foxing is lighter than it would be if it were heavier than it is. :P

The Battle Cry is (thumbs u

Nova Scotia's don't come with certs -- just the pleasure of a (usually) nice copy like yours. Someone was commenting on the Quality GIC being dull but not to my eyes -- there are a number of good covers like that one.

Edited by adamstrange

The GIC is great, a lot of NS copies have heavy tanning. Yours looks like it has nice paper. I forgot about that OFF 19, otherwise you would have either lost it or paid a lot more. The Battle Cry is one of my favorite books, and very uncommon in anything above VG.

Here's my copy, I tried to get sacentaur's glossinator effect.

55465-battlecrygloss.JPG.369760d85c746285d5ec4be7df9c25d8.JPG

Andy, I'd also like to know what you think of the color on that book relative to the scan he had with the auction. His other books looked faded, but I couldn't tell if it was just the scanner.

Andy, How close was dudes' grading on that OFF 70, and did the book come packaged well? Mine did not. Two thumbs down, way down.

:frustrated: I won his OAAW 104 and now I'm not even looking forward

to receiving it. I thought I heard someone mention he was a board member?

Andy, if your 7.5 OFF 70 looked like that then I hate to see what my lowly

FN- copy is going to be like. The packaging has me worried too with

Canada's Posts' usual treatment of my poorly packaged books. :(

That's e-bay for you and I guess if we play the game we sometimes

pay the frustration that goes along with it.

I sure wish I spent that 50.00 on not a bad looking Millie cover that

recently ended for under 50.00.

Here's a few books that I've just got in.

G. I. Combat #37 Nova Scotia copy, bought as a VF/NM from ComicConnect, really nice book and happy to own it, didn't come with any certificate, though....

gic37.jpg

off19001.jpg

off19bc001.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #70, ugh...bought from same seller as that raw GIC 87 8.0, this book was described as a 7.5. Glad my total bill was only $87.00 and not $2000.

off70.jpg

Battle Cry #1 Cool book. I think it was described as a Fine, and I'm quite happy no matter what. Wicked flamethrower cover and I love that little head as their logo. :cloud9:

battlecry1.jpg

Killer books Andy... the foxing doesn't look too bad, and it appears to be a really nice copy otherwise.

Sweet!!

And Buttock, great gloss on your copy of Battle Cry.... I'm blind!!

Shep

Andy, How close was dudes' grading on that OFF 70, and did the book come packaged well? Mine did not. Two thumbs down, way down.

Hey Tats,

Sorry to hear about your packaging. I received 4 books, and they were in bags and boards, taped together inside 2 harder pieces of cardboard. To me, his shipping was pretty good.

The 4 books were:

OFF70 7.5 If I were selling this, I'd give it a F- 5.5

OFF 64 7.5 Slightly better than the #70, this is a Fine 6.0

SSWS 97 4.5 Graded fairly well, I'd say-it's a fine 6.0 with a popped upper staple, VG+ 4.5 is the only grade I can agree with

SSWS 154 7.0 With the spine creases, wear at top, chipping at right, and rust migration from one staple on back cover, I'd be giving this one a Fine 6.0

These books didn't appear faded, but I will have a look later today with my overcopies.

Andy

SSWS 154 7.0 With the spine creases, wear at top, chipping at right, and rust migration from one staple on back cover, I'd be giving this one a Fine 6.0

Andy, this is a tougher book to find in grade than most people think.... in my experience, I see three nice #151s (and it's the bigger money book) for every #154.

It has one of the best Joe Kubert covers of all time, in my opinion. Sorry to hear that the seller overgraded.... what was the sellers ebay tag? (Not that I'm checking ebay out this month... I'm taking an ebay break.)

Shep

Para, those are hot.

Maybe this is too forward, but what were the prices like on those... ie, did you pay a hefty Metro/pedigree premium?

I love the Heath greytone on AAMOW #110... one of my fave covers from this era.

Shep