• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

See you tomorrow probably, though I won't be there for long and will probably miss the weekend. It's funny, I literally did 100% of my buying before the public even set foot in the show.

So that's why some of us never find anything. It's all gone before we even get in? Why is this practice even allowed?

NOTE - I'm not getting on October's case about this. He's not to blame for it. The system is.

It sucks. I know, since I spent a decade going to Chicago on the weekends only. Then a few years ago I wised up and got a dealer's pass. Got sick of letting them have all of the fun.

Regardless, Chicago is HUGE. There is a 0% chance that all, or even most, of the deals are gone. There are hundreds of dealers with millions of comics. I have found great stuff, CRAZY deals, on Sunday right before close. Hell, just last year I pulled a Frazetta cover Ghost Rider 3 out of a 50% off box on Sunday afternoon. It was jammed in between bronze drek. Paid like $40, it's probably worth 5x that. So don't despair!

What's the grade is in hand? Pretty nice copy for sure.

It's a VF or so, a little NCB wear on the spine. Other than that and the corner wear, really sharp copy. Nice whites, pages, cover colors and gloss.

What's the grade is in hand? Pretty nice copy for sure.

It's a VF or so, a little NCB wear on the spine. Other than that and the corner wear, really sharp copy. Nice whites, pages, cover colors and gloss.

Andy, that is awesome. I have only seen a handful of copies of that issue nicer than 7.5 - and the white pages are just gravy.

Without a doubt, my #1 DC war cover. Just impossibly good.

Nice!

Shep

Great books man! Love those Newsboys.

Nice to see a little action on the thread. I have a pretty solid copy of Our Fighting Forces #10 coming - a book I've been looking to find for some time. I'll post 'er when she comes in.

Wish I was at the SDCC again this year... one day.

Shep

Ok, I am late to the party,whats a Newsboy?

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

Great books man! Love those Newsboys.

Nice to see a little action on the thread. I have a pretty solid copy of Our Fighting Forces #10 coming - a book I've been looking to find for some time. I'll post 'er when she comes in.

Wish I was at the SDCC again this year... one day.

Shep

Ok, I am late to the party,whats a Newsboy?

Newsboy._Little_Fattie.jpg

We're just being . :grin:

'Newsboys' are a pedigreed comic collection that surfaced in the 1990s, featuring many of the DC genre titles from the silver age, including some incredible war books from the 10 cent era. If I have it right, Motor City comics in Detroit acquired the collection first, and sold them fairly quickly to a reasonably small handful of collectors around the country.

While I don't have any in my collection, I have seen a few and they are gorgeous. They don't come up that often, that's for sure. They are certainly in the same league as books from the Salida, Bethlehem, and Boston peds.

Mick and some of the other guys on this board surely know more about the Newsboys.. for example, the identifying marks, if any - chime in with details!

Shep

Here are some Newsboys. Almost all the Newsboys I've ever seen are as structurally sound as any high grade collection I've seen. The only 10¢ war collection (not that there are very many) that scores brownie points for better page quality (though not necessarily as uniformly high in terms of structural qualities) is the Salida collection. Markings are more absent than prevalent, but one identifying mark that IS prevalent on a number of issues is a cursive L as seen on the AAMOW 48 below and Bedrock's AAMOW 34.

ssws55.jpg

aamow28.jpg

aamow29.jpg

aamow37.jpg

aamow48.jpg

gic45.jpg

gic46.jpg

oaaw60.jpg

off22.jpg

Edited by Comick1

Here are some Newsboys. Almost all the Newsboys I've ever seen are as structurally sound as any high grade collection I've seen. The only 10¢ war collection (not that there are very many) that scores brownie points for better page quality (though not necessarily as uniformly high in terms of structural qualities) is the Salida collection. Markings are more absent than prevalent, but one identifying mark that IS prevalent on a number of issues is a cursive L as seen on the AAMOW 48 below and Bedrock's AAMOW 34.

ssws55.jpg

aamow28.jpg

aamow29.jpg

aamow37.jpg

aamow48.jpg

gic45.jpg

gic46.jpg

oaaw60.jpg

off22.jpg

OMMFG HFS JC !!!!!!!!!

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Some other Newsboys, all of which have a mothball smell even if they don't have an L distributor mark.

AAMOW33.jpg

AAMOW39.jpg

OFF18.jpg

OFF19.jpg

OFF21.jpg

OFF23.jpg

OFF25.jpg

OAAW65.jpg

SSWS46.jpg

Thanks fellers.

Andy burning your collection is not environmentally friendly. I'll be happy to dispose of them in a much more ecologically-sound manner if you send 'em to me. I'll even pay your postage. That GIC 78 has been watching lots of episodes of "Lassie, Come Home!" lately anyway.

Forgot about that mothball smell. Definitely a mothball smell about every last one of the Newsboys.

Great books fellas, and a painful reminder that outside of major finds like Salida, Newsboy, Bethlehem and maybe a couple of others, high grade war books of that era never appear except in scant ones and twos...

Which is a total bummer.

Shep