• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Anybody else think the OAAW #83 in the recent pedigree auction sold for a surprising amount considering how low grade it was (shrug)

What did it go for? What grade?

Anybody else think the OAAW #83 in the recent pedigree auction sold for a surprising amount considering how low grade it was (shrug)

What did it go for? What grade?

It was in GD+ 2.5 and sold for $376.00.

Had an interesting comic experience this weekend...

My wife and I had our old neighbors from Newfoundland visit for the weekend. Great people.

They stayed in our spare room, which just so happens to house my comics closet. My friend and I were talking about 'the stuff that guys spend their money on' and I mentioned about my comic collection... I didn't mention that they were war books.

He said 'When I was a kid, I read nothing but Sgt. Rock.'

I didn't say a word... just opened the closet and pulled out four short boxes of OAAW and Sgt. Rock and said... 'Well, just so happens that's what I have'.

We geeked for a while. He couldn't believe it. As I was putting them away, he looked at me and said...

'Man, you are soooooo lucky.'

Awesome!

Shep

My wife and I had our old neighbors from Newfoundland visit for the weekend. Great people.

They stayed in our spare room, which just so happens to house my comics closet. My friend and I were talking about 'the stuff that guys spend their money on' and I mentioned about my comic collection... I didn't mention that they were war books.

I didn't say a word... just opened the closet and pulled out four short boxes of OAAW and Sgt. Rock and said... 'Well, just so happens that's what I have'.

We geeked for a while. He couldn't believe it. As I was putting them away, he looked at me and said...

Awesome!

Shep

That's an awesome story. Something similar happened to me. I was at an In & Out Burger for lunch a few months back and wearing my Sgt. Rock t-shirt. Guy in his late 50s comes up to me after I order and says, "Our Army at War."

Now, I've had a FEW people come up to me and acknowledge Sgt. Rock when I wear that t-shirt, but very few. NONE of those people knew what OAAW was (or if they were old enough, they didn't remember). This fellow did. He said he kept all his war books from when he was a kid and was out on vacation from Illinois or some such.

Then we got to talking. He'd remembered all the titles (including GI Combat) and put 'em aside for the last 50+ years. Of course, I asked whether there were any in any nice shape, but he said that all were well loved and pretty ragged. Still, it's a fairly rare thing that your typical guy from ANY walk of life knows a single damn iota about Sgt. Rock, let alone actually keeping the titles. Yeah, we exchanged email addresses and I sent him an email, but he never responded.

Ahh well, it's interesting to be able to draw a line that connected the alleged popularity of the DC war books [at the time they came out on the stands in the 50s and early 60s] to actual collectors. Good to know they're out there somewhere.

Awesome!

Shep

That's an awesome story. Something similar happened to me. I was at an In & Out Burger for lunch a few months back and wearing my Sgt. Rock t-shirt. Guy in his late 50s comes up to me after I order and says, "Our Army at War."

Now, I've had a FEW people come up to me and acknowledge Sgt. Rock when I wear that t-shirt, but very few. NONE of those people knew what OAAW was (or if they were old enough, they didn't remember). This fellow did. He said he kept all his war books from when he was a kid and was out on vacation from Illinois or some such.

Then we got to talking. He'd remembered all the titles (including GI Combat) and put 'em aside for the last 50+ years. Of course, I asked whether there were any in any nice shape, but he said that all were well loved and pretty ragged. Still, it's a fairly rare thing that your typical guy from ANY walk of life knows a single damn iota about Sgt. Rock, let alone actually keeping the titles. Yeah, we exchanged email addresses and I sent him an email, but he never responded.

Ahh well, it's interesting to be able to draw a line that connected the alleged popularity of the DC war books [at the time they came out on the stands in the 50s and early 60s] to actual collectors. Good to know they're out there somewhere.

Great stories!

Awesome!

Shep

WOW - deja vu!! Very similar story...I had neighbors over. Started talking hobbies. I show off some comics from when we were kids. He couldn't believe it. Geeking, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here's where things got different...as I was putting them away he said, "Man, you are suuuuuch a nerd."

Sort of awesome, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the story (thumbs u

I have no great stories :(

However, I've decided to sell some war books at the VCC next month. The only high grade stuff will be a few bronze books. Plenty of readers though for cheap.

Awesome!

Shep

WOW - deja vu!! Very similar story...I had neighbors over. Started talking hobbies. I show off some comics from when we were kids. He couldn't believe it. Geeking, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here's where things got different...as I was putting them away he said, "Man, you are suuuuuch a nerd."

Sort of awesome, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the story (thumbs u

I thought that was your standard farewell & greeting (shrug)

Since we're talking war comics stories, here's another one. I've collected 'em for the last 20+ years now. Simultaneously, I'd say that I lean closer to peacenik on a scale of peacenik to war monger. Obviously, NOBODY's all the way to either side of the scale, but I knew a war comics collector who came pretty damned close to it.

I was in contact with a guy named Alan Dulfon back in the early-mid 90s who lived up in the Bay Area and was an acquaintance of Pedrin's. He was an avid war comics collector. I knew he was a Buddhist, but didn't know that he was planning something larger. He spoke of moving to Tibet and becoming a monk. I remember thinking he'd never do it. But sure enough, a couple months later, he called me asking me if I was interested in buying some of the stuff he'd collected (mostly VG to Fine stuff) so that he could buy a one-way ticket to his destination. I bought a few items off of him. He'd sold off virtually everything he had. . .basically selling off ALL of his earthly possessions and planning on never coming back. It occurred to me that he was just passing me a sob-story so that I might be more inclined to buy something off of him, but Pedrin actually confirmed that he did indeed leave for South Asia and never returned.

Makes me smile to imagine a feller living near the Himalayas immersing himself in the life of a Buddhist Monk, but fully down with talking about Easy Company with anybody who has their Big-5 chops. It'd be pretty cool if he somehow found his way on to these boards, that is if Chinese censors even allowed it and if he hasn't been expelled (or worse) by China.