• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Some killer Glanzman art in those Dell Combats. A preview of things to come for the USS Stevens stuff he worked on in the following decade. There's also some awesome Glanzman in some of those Gilberton "World Around Us" comics. I have some art to the "Flight" issue and it includes a Pearl Harbor sequence by Glanzman that is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

Glanzman is one of the great "secret" treasures of the Big-5. I wish the entire series of USS Stevens was collected in a couple volumes. I'd buy ten sets. The USS Stevens stories are so well written and beautifully realized. . .I don't think a more authentic account of WW2 exists in comics form. Sam's storytelling is a staggering body of work.

I copied this off Glanzman's wiki page --

USS Stevens stories

Glanzman's USS Stevens stories for DC Comics appear in:

Our Army at War #220, 223, 225, 227, 230-232, 235 238, 240-242, 244-245, 247-248, 256-259, 261-262, 265-267, 275, 281-282, 284, 293, 298 (1970-1976)

Our Fighting Forces 128, 132, 134, 136, 138-139, 140-141, 143 (1970-1972)

Weird War Tales #4 (1972)

G.I. Combat #152 (1972)

Star Spangled War Stories #167, 171, 174 (1973)

Sgt. Rock #308 (1977)

Joe Kubert Presents #1 (2012)

You could probably cross-reference with Pedrin Guide.

For some reason, OAAW 218 isn't on that list, but that's the first appearance. The story's called "Frightened Boys or Fighting Men?"

Not sure if there's anything else missing. That series is one of the best things DC EVER released.

Does anyone know in what issues DC published the table-top dioramas ?

So far i found

DC Special Series #18, Sgt.Rock's Prize Battle Tales

Our Army at War 256, 257, 258,265,275

Blitzkrieg #3

I have heard they did one in a Tarzan Treasury as well.

its funny how Kirbys work really all comes down to his inker. I usually think of his work around the 50s/60s as different from his 70s work in detail and shapes... but look at the soldiers and rocks behind "Sgt Fury" here.... they are quickly inked and look like the looser 70s Kirby stuff that we all think doesnt compare with the Marvel Age comics work. Those guys just have a clunky look to them like a Kamandi or a Demon bkgnd.

further, the lead figure was clearly worked on more carefully. But even here, the inker drowned out Kirbys natural "abstract energy" linework --- making the sleeve and backpack look TOO normal, and less "Kirby"

Hi friends,

I've started a Joe Kubert Cover Survivor Series (nomination thread) in Comics General. Follow the link, if you're interested: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6377158#Post6377158

It'd be nice to get some examples of your favorite Kubert covers, not necessarily war books, but any cover he did. I know there are well over a thousand, so let's see some of your nominations for this contest. (thumbs u

Thanks in advance,

Andy