• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I started on this little run a few months ago. Pretty stoked to finish it. Now it's off to find upgrades!

Excellent accomplishment! (thumbs u

Just discovered that Marie was also in the Rock story in BB 52.

You CAN teach an old collecting dog new tricks. :)

I started on this little run a few months ago. Pretty stoked to finish it. Now it's off to find upgrades!

Don't forget Our Army At War #115.

There's also an issue in DC special Series or was it DC Super Stars, I can't remember at this moment. There were also a couple/few issues towards the end of Unknown Soldier where she appeared.

Don't forget Our Army At War #115.

There's also an issue in DC special Series or was it DC Super Stars, I can't remember at this moment. There were also a couple/few issues towards the end of Unknown Soldier where she appeared.

Thanks, Andy, I'll look for those!

Technically this is a GA book - but I don't think too many people over in GA would notice. I have had a devil of a time trying to find a higher grade copy of this book. This one looks pretty nice but overall it's a VG

That's one REALLY nicely presenting VG. Book is tough in almost any grade with all that black. Every little crease screams out.

Nice score, sir!

Well, I've got 2 pieces of good news AND one piece of bad news. The good news is that you've scored all of Marie's 10 cent covers and that is nothing to sneeze at. But there are 2 more 10 cent interior-only appearances. The 2nd piece of good news is that your quest may continue. I can't recall, but I think Overstreet doesn't bother mentioning them. . .

One of the appearances is in SSWS 91.

Here's the bad news you've been waiting for:

The other one is in:

SSWS #90

I think the Pedrin guide mentions them but when it was published, Marie apps weren't anything that anybody but the completists cared about. Even in the Pedrin Guide, it's barely mentioned as a footnote. Somebody wanna confirm that? I loaned my Pedrin Guide to a friend so can't check. As I recall, she was demoted from 12 pager to backup 8 pager along with the loss of cover status.

Edited by Comick1

Well, I've got 2 pieces of good news AND one piece of bad news. The good news is that you've scored all of Marie's 10 cent covers and that is nothing to sneeze at. But there are 2 more 10 cent interior-only appearances. The 2nd piece of good news is that your quest may continue. I can't recall, but I think Overstreet doesn't bother mentioning them. . .

The other one is in:

SSWS #90

I think the Pedrin guide mentions them but when it was published, Marie apps weren't anything that anybody but the completists cared about. Even in the Pedrin Guide, it's barely mentioned as a footnote. Somebody wanna confirm that? I loaned my Pedrin Guide to a friend so can't check. As I recall, she was demoted from 12 pager to backup 8 pager along with the loss of cover status.

Yep. My initial focus was her 10-cent covers. Now I'm hunting for the SSWS 90 and 91. The 90 turns up for sale fairly regularly (perhaps because it's more expensive) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet, waiting for the right copy at the right price. The 91 seems a lot tougher to find for sale.

Good call. The Dino 90 is wayyyyy easier to find if only because it's been a key for many years. There might be JUST as many 91s but it's perceived scarcity relative to the 90 is likely a function of the cheaper guide price for so many years. I had a helluva time getting my 91 and it wasn't for lack of searching. Granted its a high grade copy so that complicated things, but it took me more than 20 years to finally score a nice copy of 91. . .not that that's all that unusual for the vast majority of 10 cent war books in grade.

Edited by Comick1

Good call. The Dino 90 is wayyyyy easier to find if only because it's been a key for many years. There might be JUST as many 91s but it's perceived scarcity relative to the 90 is likely a function of the cheaper guide price for so many years. I had a helluva time getting my 91 and it wasn't for lack of searching. Granted its a high grade copy so that complicated things, but it took me more than 20 years to finally score a nice copy of 91. . .not that that's all that unusual for the vast majority of 10 cent war books in grade.

For a while I thought it would take that long to get 88 and 89. The 85 and 86 seem to pop up on Ebay all the time, but the other MM covers (at least in the past 3 months) rarely ever. And if they have a reasonable BIN they sell real fast. I just did a search of some of the major dealers' sites, and zip on the 91. I suspect it might be easier to get at a con, hidden away in a box.

The other one is in:

SSWS #90

Y'know, I was going to say SSWS 91, but then I second-guessed myself and looked up the cover on comics.org. She wasn't there so I figured I must have been mistaken.

It's been so long to open up a SSWS 90, that I've forgotten anything that was in there other than The War That Time Forgot. Don't remember it being mentioned in the Pedrin book.

Found a 91! Jim P had a low grade. Good+, but I'm hoping it's one of those Jim P specials, a G+ that looks like a VG+. Still can't find a decent OOAW 115 though... hm

Found a 91! Jim P had a low grade. Good+, but I'm hoping it's one of those Jim P specials, a G+ that looks like a VG+. Still can't find a decent OOAW 115 though... hm

Congrats on getting a copy of SSWS #91. Upgrades will be a drawn-out process.

The OAAW 115 isn't nonexistent in the higher grades but it's as tough as the ones around it which is to say that it's rare compared to any superhero Marvel or even most superhero DCs. I've seen quite a few VGish copies over the years and a number of Fine copies along with the high grade hen's tooth at auction. And to be clear, the census has a couple 9.0s, but nothing higher than that. My own copy is probably an 8.0 or 8.5 on a good day, but it's a fresh copy that is from the Mass. collection. Got it around 23 years ago along with a number of others in the 113-121 range along with some really nice early 12¢ GICs.

oaaw115-1.jpg

I've always wondered if the collection went earlier. It seemed a bit convenient that Marnin's runs would have abruptly begun only with the 12¢ issues and that there wouldn't be a single Mass. 10¢ copy. Imagine an OAAW #112 or a #100 from that collection. I DO think it's possible that those were picked off before I (or possibly Marnin) got a shot at them.

hmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhm

So many unanswered mysteries in this hobby of ours.

Edited by Comick1