• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Thanks. got a question for all you DC war guys...what's with all the dinosaur covers?

During WWII and the Korean War, certain factions of the opposing sides used dinosaurs in battle as a secret weapon. (As a side benefit, the dinosaurs could thus be kept quite well-fed without too much trouble).

DC commemorated these epic battles in one of the DC War titles, Star Spangled War Stories. But they did so in a small-ish run within just this one title so as to still keep the secret relatively hush-hush.

So, what yer sayin' is ya really don't know... :taptaptap:

Dinosaurs were "in" for a couple of years at National's war book department back in the early 60s. Makes a change from Weisinger's super-gorillas and army of Bizarros. Not that you'd've seen many of those in the Big 5 titles...

Strange_Adventures_186.jpg

Like the Gorilla Witch? It's the best of both worlds!

Thanks. got a question for all you DC war guys...what's with all the dinosaur covers?

During WWII and the Korean War, certain factions of the opposing sides used dinosaurs in battle as a secret weapon. (As a side benefit, the dinosaurs could thus be kept quite well-fed without too much trouble).

DC commemorated these epic battles in one of the DC War titles, Star Spangled War Stories. But they did so in a small-ish run within just this one title so as to still keep the secret relatively hush-hush.

So, what yer sayin' is ya really don't know... :taptaptap:

Dinosaurs were "in" for a couple of years at National's war book department back in the early 60s. Makes a change from Weisinger's super-gorillas and army of Bizarros. Not that you'd've seen many of those in the Big 5 titles...

Strange_Adventures_186.jpg

Like the Gorilla Witch? It's the best of both worlds!

Only at DC in the 60s. lol

The G.I. Combat has a little dark stuff on the cover (printing ink error?), a few stress lines along the spine and needs a press (it's a little wavy). What should I call the grade?

I also got this at the same time (I know, not a war book) for $35 (has a faint sub-crease). Pretty colors... :cloud9:

200a7tz.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Clip the coupon and send it in immediately before it expires then!

In the meantime I've forgotten whether I posted this one earlier in this thread or not but since Charltons are so rarely seen in this thread I'll post it again:

17-05-201183551PM.jpg

Does anybody else have any cool Commie bashing Charlton covers to post?

???

P.S. It's funny that in a lot of Silver Age threads I get annoyed seeing nothing but Marvels. In this thread though seeing nothing but page after page of DC comics is doing the same. I want more Atlas and Charlton war covers fellows!

;)

Edited by Hepcat

Clip the coupon and send it in immediately before it expires then!

In the meantime I've forgotten whether I posted this one earlier in this thread or not but since Charltons are so rarely seen in this thread I'll post it again:

17-05-201183551PM.jpg

Does anybody else have any cool Commie bashing Charlton covers to post?

???

P.S. It's funny that in a lot of Silver Age threads I get annoyed seeing nothing but Marvels. In this thread though seeing nothing but page after page of DC comics is doing the same. I want more Atlas and Charlton war covers fellows!

;)

I don't have a ton of Atlas war, but I'll post a few that I have soon. Here's one to begin.

ba27.jpg

Nice Submarine Attack. The red on that is BLAYYYYY-zing!

Just beautiful SSWS 62's, guys.

Hep: Great looking Sub Attack. And interesting cover (probably by Carl Burgos) on that Battle Action 27 - especially the shadow shading.

(thumbs u

Thanks, Mark!

Im layin' odds on Maneely for the BA 27 cover. hm

Just beautiful SSWS 62's, guys.

Hep: Great looking Sub Attack. And interesting cover (probably by Carl Burgos) on that Battle Action 27 - especially the shadow shading.

(thumbs u

Thanks, Mark!

Im layin' odds on Maneely for the BA 27 cover. hm

The shading in the shadows is somewhat reminiscent of Maneely, yes. Although Maneely's shading was more robust actually. In the brightly lit area of the cover, the rendering is quite different from Maneely. Thus, I am inclined to think it is not Maneely. But, you never know ... !

I know Fiction House from 1945 is usually not posted in this thread. (Is there a War thread in the GA forum?? Maybe I am simply unaware of it. So, if I am posting incorrectly, please let me know).

I just thought I'd show this cover from Lee Elias.

To me, his use of depth and three-dimensionality on this cover is astounding.

I mean, seriously. Look at it.

ncpdkm1.jpg