• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

What a great book! So fresh!! :luhv:

I remember seeing if for the first time (pre-internet--at least not at the level it would be by LATE 90s--so there were still a lot of issues I'd never seen in any form. . .not even in low grade while I was sifting through boxes) when it arrived in the mail from Marnin. I recall feeling disappointed that it was a Grandenetti cover and not Kubert. I hadn't developed a taste for Grandenetti yet.

Now, it's one of my favorite covers in the whole run. It's from that early 60s era for Grandenetti when he had those deep deep inks and shadows. Look at how simple but beautiful Marie is. Extreme economy of line and yet so evocative. This is close to the same time as his OFF #71 cover which is classic for the same reasons.

Grandenetti was a very underrated draftsman. Great stuff. . .especially as he grew closer to jumping the DC ship around 1963.

Much like Mick, I also did not appreciate Grandenetti for many years. While I am still not a huge fan of his style, I am a huge fan of his perspective. He drew covers unlike any of those drawn by Kubert, Heath, or Severin.

Does anyone know why he stopped doing covers in the DC in the early 60s? Did he move on to advertising or some other non-comic work?

Much like Mick, I also did not appreciate Grandenetti for many years. While I am still not a huge fan of his style, I am a huge fan of his perspective. He drew covers unlike any of those drawn by Kubert, Heath, or Severin.

Does anyone know why he stopped doing covers in the DC in the early 60s? Did he move on to advertising or some other non-comic work?

I agree. This is one of my favorites - regrettably, not mine.

152062.jpg.1b6deaaad1cbdc6073cd3348ab0dd099.jpg

Grandenetti DID get into advertising, but later on in life. He kept his foot in comics through most of the 60s-the 80s. Did quite a few stories for Warren. If you think that the DC work was an acquired taste, then the Warren stuff is even more so. It was largely done in a wash style--the interiors. It's regarded highly, but tends to go a bit too heavily into abstraction for my own taste. Apparently DC reeled him in a bit, but I thought that the more abstract he was moving, the better it got. I see his late 50s and early 60s stuff as the best of his career.

I spoke with him a number of times toward the end of his life and he referred to the DC years as being too restrictive for him, but acknowledged that he was gradually allowed to get more abstract during his tenure there. By the time he left around 1964, he was really ready to let his hair down and I'd say that he did.

In the cases of many artists--comics and otherwise--there are formative periods where their style resembles the norms of that period and era. Then as they develop their own style, they do their largest and best remembered body of work but their art doesn't really ever stray much from their "style" from that period. Everett was a good example of that. He was CRAZY good at the end of his life similar to what he'd been doing 30 years previous. Heath's and Kubert's styles remained virtually unchanged for the last 40 years of their careers. Kirby got looser toward the end of his life.

Then there's Grandenetti. Grandenetti didn't necessarily change his style. . .maybe more his presentation. I get the feeling he was holding back during those years I like the best, but likely during his entire career. . .until he got to Warren. Those were the years he reflected most warmly on. I think his abstract style was always there, but he just suppressed it. Good or bad, it's that 4-5 year window of time that he just NAILED IT.

So, so, so fresh and so clean. :headbang:

Thanks, Andy! You score any cool war books lately?

I haven't lately, no. I've been a bit overwhelmed with life and such, lately.

It'll be my New Year's resolution to pick up 30 war books this year. :D

No OOAW 115 yet, but a couple more appearances of Marie. (Apologies for the Bronze, but it's still a great Kubert cover.)

:applause:

No apologies, dude. Rock on (pun intended) with the Maries. Looks like you're closing in!