• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I love then and now civil war photo's ... Gettysburg has some great ones, there is even one amazing Gettysburg photo that they cannot quite pinpoint where it was taken from... even with all of todays modern technology 

which leads me to this then and now...........

DSCN3594 - Edited.jpg

16 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I love then and now civil war photo's ... Gettysburg has some great ones, there is even one amazing Gettysburg photo that they cannot quite pinpoint where it was taken from... even with all of todays modern technology 

which leads me to this then and now...........

DSCN3594 - Edited.jpg

I noticed looking at Vietnam and Korea war historical photos then and now that it is amazing how far advanced both Vietnam and Korea have improved themselves and made themself  modern technology countries since those two wars.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 2017-07-13 at 11:21 AM, comick1 said:

Hi folks,
I regret to be the one to do this, but it's with a heavy heart that I'm reporting the passing of one of the great geniuses of war comics. We lost Sam Glanzman yesterday. I'm going to walk around today and in the next few weeks with the many memories of hanging out with Sue and Sam during Comic-Con and at the war comics banquet.

Sam was an incredibly special person--a vet with a gruff exterior but a heart of pure gold. Funny and witty as hell and generous to a fault. Oh, and wrote/illustrated little 4-page autobiographical vignettes that delivered an emotional impact beyond anything I've ever seen in comics before or since. His body of work is voluminous; but the USS Stevens, named for the ship that he served on in the Pacific Theater, is one of the best things to ever appear in war comics. . .in any comics genre. I'm so glad that I got a chance to know him. If any of you never did, I recommend that you purchase the definitive reprint of the series--USS Stevens, the Collected Stories from Dover Press. Take a minute to get yourself a copy. Buy it from your local comic book store or, if you have to, get one online. 

Take 10 minutes away from garbage-TV watching or trolling around on eBay and just crack that book to read a couple stories each night. You won't regret it. They are a mystical combination of haunting retrospective and poignant commentary on the human condition. Truly brilliant story-telling. I'm so glad that this humble person had the foresight and ability to delineate the incredible narratives that were swirling around in his head. My hats off to Sam. Sounds cliche, but it truly applies here: We've lost one of the great ones. Wishing Sue and his family the best in this difficult time.

If any of you have original art or favorite Glanzman stories to share, post those here in this forum. I'm going to see if I can post one of the stories I cherish.

Very sorry to hear this news, Mick. Sam was amazing - USS Stevens, GI Combat (he drew more Haunted Tank stories than anyone), his stories in Dell's Combat, not to mention a lot of memorable art in the Charlton war books. Battle Albums! Table top dioramas! Sam gave us a massive volume of work, always top-notch, always with enormous verve and energy.

So sad. When I started getting back into collecting, there were so many creators still with us. Sigh...

Shep

8 hours ago, Ovrclck said:

Not sure if this has been posted before. But in the movie Predator, one of Arnold's crew is reading Sgt. Rock. :bigsmile:

image.thumb.png.edb6e4076bb04a833a145946007d6c7b.png

Cool back story about this: that guy is Shane Black, who would go on to write Lethal Weapon for Joel Silver. At the time Predator was being filmed Joel Silver was working with Arnold Swarzenegger to bring Sgt Rock to the big screen, and passed out a bunch of Sgt Rock comics to the cast and crew. Shane Black would go on to get his own comic book movie with Iron Man 3.

10 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Cool back story about this: that guy is Shane Black, who would go on to write Lethal Weapon for Joel Silver. At the time Predator was being filmed Joel Silver was working with Arnold Swarzenegger to bring Sgt Rock to the big screen, and passed out a bunch of Sgt Rock comics to the cast and crew. Shane Black would go on to get his own comic book movie with Iron Man 3.

That's awesome! I'm guessing Sgt. Rock won't be hitting the big screen anytime soon.

52 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

That's awesome! I'm guessing Sgt. Rock won't be hitting the big screen anytime soon.

52 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

Highly doubtful. The last time it was in development they were talking about "reimagining" it as WWII in space. Im glad that idea died, lol. At one point early on Tarantino supposedly did a -script treatment. THAT could have been interesting, but since he went on to do Inglorious Basterds I don't see him doing another war movie.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, comick1 said:

Hi folks,
I regret to be the one to do this, but it's with a heavy heart that I'm reporting the passing of one of the great geniuses of war comics. We lost Sam Glanzman yesterday. I'm going to walk around today and in the next few weeks with the many memories of hanging out with Sue and Sam during Comic-Con and at the war comics banquet.

Sam was an incredibly special person--a vet with a gruff exterior but a heart of pure gold. Funny and witty as hell and generous to a fault. Oh, and wrote/illustrated little 4-page autobiographical vignettes that delivered an emotional impact beyond anything I've ever seen in comics before or since. His body of work is voluminous; but the USS Stevens, named for the ship that he served on in the Pacific Theater, is one of the best things to ever appear in war comics. . .in any comics genre. I'm so glad that I got a chance to know him. If any of you never did, I recommend that you purchase the definitive reprint of the series--USS Stevens, the Collected Stories from Dover Press. Take a minute to get yourself a copy. Buy it from your local comic book store or, if you have to, get one online. 

Take 10 minutes away from garbage-TV watching or trolling around on eBay and just crack that book to read a couple stories each night. You won't regret it. They are a mystical combination of haunting retrospective and poignant commentary on the human condition. Truly brilliant story-telling. I'm so glad that this humble person had the foresight and ability to delineate the incredible narratives that were swirling around in his head. My hats off to Sam. Sounds cliche, but it truly applies here: We've lost one of the great ones. Wishing Sue and his family the best in this difficult time.

If any of you have original art or favorite Glanzman stories to share, post those here in this forum. I'm going to see if I can post one of the stories I cherish.

I had not heard this.  To be honest, I've never heard of Glanzman until about two years ago when I found this beautiful 9.6ish Dell Combat #21 in a $3 bargin bin mixed with a bunch of low grade drek.  Was taken back by how great the cover was.   Not a huge fan of war books, but I do have this one on wall because it's so cool to look at.  

159387.jpg.6cb2544559885b38730332e74e63f

Original PGM thread back in 2015 with additional pics.

Edited by Brian48
type-O

21 hours ago, Ovrclck said:

Not sure if this has been posted before. But in the movie Predator, one of Arnold's crew is reading Sgt. Rock. :bigsmile:

image.thumb.png.edb6e4076bb04a833a145946007d6c7b.png

Awesome, I totally forgot about that shot in the movie. Predator is one of my favorite movies of the 80s. 1987 such a great year, Predator, Twins win the World Series and 8th Grade. :banana: 

Git to da choppa!

Speaking of a Sgt. Rock movie, how cool would that be...but only if they set it in WWII.

Edited by FutureFlash