• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, Bigfiver691 said:

OAAW #196 is a very important book, in that it marks the beginning of Joe Kubert's editorial run on the title (and the other DC war books). But what's critical is the shift in tone that this book represents... Kubert made a distinct editorial decision to use the war books as an antiwwar statement in response to Viet Nam, starting with OAAW 196. He wanted to portray the characters less as superheroes and more as just humans with strengths and weaknesses, flaws and virtues. In this issue, Sgt. Rock basically has a breakdown in response to the unending combat. He's portrayed as vulnerable and painfully human, and he questions everything. I had a chance to speak to Joe about this many years ago, and I asked him point blank if it was overtly his intention to make an antiwar statement through his editorship, and indeed he said it was. In many ways, an strong argument can be made that this actually the first book of the bronze age, depending on how you define that era. If we see the BA as a period where the stories are more mature, more reflective of the culture, where the focus on characters turns more towards their humanity rather than just their superpowers, this is the book that started that... all by Kubert's design.

Shep

Thank you for this very thoughtful and persuasive explanation! I for one am favorably swayed.

Hi folks,
I regret to be the one to do this, but it's with a heavy heart that I'm reporting the passing of one of the great geniuses of war comics. We lost Sam Glanzman yesterday. I'm going to walk around today and in the next few weeks with the many memories of hanging out with Sue and Sam during Comic-Con and at the war comics banquet.

Sam was an incredibly special person--a vet with a gruff exterior but a heart of pure gold. Funny and witty as hell and generous to a fault. Oh, and wrote/illustrated little 4-page autobiographical vignettes that delivered an emotional impact beyond anything I've ever seen in comics before or since. His body of work is voluminous; but the USS Stevens, named for the ship that he served on in the Pacific Theater, is one of the best things to ever appear in war comics. . .in any comics genre. I'm so glad that I got a chance to know him. If any of you never did, I recommend that you purchase the definitive reprint of the series--USS Stevens, the Collected Stories from Dover Press. Take a minute to get yourself a copy. Buy it from your local comic book store or, if you have to, get one online. 

Take 10 minutes away from garbage-TV watching or trolling around on eBay and just crack that book to read a couple stories each night. You won't regret it. They are a mystical combination of haunting retrospective and poignant commentary on the human condition. Truly brilliant story-telling. I'm so glad that this humble person had the foresight and ability to delineate the incredible narratives that were swirling around in his head. My hats off to Sam. Sounds cliche, but it truly applies here: We've lost one of the great ones. Wishing Sue and his family the best in this difficult time.

If any of you have original art or favorite Glanzman stories to share, post those here in this forum. I'm going to see if I can post one of the stories I cherish.

Sam's first page from the USS Stevens story "Prelude" published in Weird War Tales #4. Every Stevens story was like a love letter to that ship from Sam. He was an incredible artist and a master storyteller. R.I.P. Sam.

image.jpeg

I lost my mother a few weeks ago, and my father 4 years before. When my dad passed, my brother said in a prayer, "He's healthy and whole now." It helped to remember that for mom.

Now I imagine it on a larger scale. I imagine the majority of The Greatest Generation, healthy and whole, getting things done in the next world.

7 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Sam's first page from the USS Stevens story "Prelude" published in Weird War Tales #4. Every Stevens story was like a love letter to that ship from Sam. He was an incredible artist and a master storyteller. R.I.P. Sam.

image.jpeg

"A love letter to that ship. . ."

That's utterly perfect. He'd tear up when he talked about how the ship saved the life of the crew over and over again.
Thanks for saying that. It's totally true. That is a keeper of a page if I ever did see one. Awesome panel composition. Sam was a total bad@$$ all the way.

Big-5 War Comics Banquet / Auction (coincides with Thursday of San Diego Con)

Date: Thursday, July 20

Time: 8:00-10:15

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Address: 1747 India St San Diego  92101

As in the past, we charge $25.00 a head. That pays for salads for everybody AND you can order anything off the entree or pizza menu. You can also order sodas/non-alcoholic drinks on that tab. If you want to order any alcohol, the waitress will keep a separate tab and you'll pay that "cash bar" style at the end. Whatever is left over after the tip will be sent directly to Sue Glanzman.  I'm also gonna pass around a hat with a "suggested donation of $20.00" for Sue Glanzman.

Everybody's invited!

Special guest -- nobody! This year, it's just a buncha collectors (well, come to think of it. . .that's definitely SOMEBODY!!).

In the past, we collected art donations from artists, but I'm not going to bug any of the couple living folks this year. Collectors are welcome to bring their own items to auction off that night. We're inviting people to bring ANY things that they'd like to auction. You may specify how much of the proceeds from the auction will go toward the Big-5 group (20% minimum. In other words, people who donate an item pocket a maximum of 80%. If you want to donate more or the whole thing, that's up to you.). 100% of the proceeds of the auction will be split between Sue Glanzman and Russ Heath.  We no longer have a bank account, so I'll be taking the cash that we collect and turning it into a money order for Russ and Sue each.

If you CANNOT make it to the banquet/auction, but want to donate something in absentia(artwork, comics, or just plain cash), I'm willing to accept donations on behalf of Sam and Sue. You'll need to send it out to me in a hurry, though, if it's going to make it into the Thursday (only a week from now) auction. Please email/PM me for details. We've been doing this in one way or another to benefit the artists/writers for nearly a quarter century. If you need anybody to vouch for the integrity of this effort, I can give you a list of folks who can speak to the transparency and financial accountability of our long-standing (but informal) group.

Sam Glanzman Tribute!

If ANYBODY has Sam Glanzman art, I'm encouraging you to bring it to put on display as a mini tribute to Sam's genius. I'm going to bring my two USS Stevens stories and the painting I got from him. No, they ain't for sale, but we can all gawk at his work and raise a glass to a brilliant artist who made us laugh and cry.  And then we can send Sue a tangible quantity that represents our appreciation for the swell guy that Sam was and will always be!:headbang:

Hope you can make it!

Please RSVP with a headcount if you ARE planning on attending.

Best,

Mick

Private message or email work great.

comick1@cox.net

Edited by comick1

13 hours ago, comick1 said:

Hi folks,
I regret to be the one to do this, but it's with a heavy heart that I'm reporting the passing of one of the great geniuses of war comics. We lost Sam Glanzman yesterday. I'm going to walk around today and in the next few weeks with the many memories of hanging out with Sue and Sam during Comic-Con and at the war comics banquet.

Sam was an incredibly special person--a vet with a gruff exterior but a heart of pure gold. Funny and witty as hell and generous to a fault. Oh, and wrote/illustrated little 4-page autobiographical vignettes that delivered an emotional impact beyond anything I've ever seen in comics before or since. His body of work is voluminous; but the USS Stevens, named for the ship that he served on in the Pacific Theater, is one of the best things to ever appear in war comics. . .in any comics genre. I'm so glad that I got a chance to know him. If any of you never did, I recommend that you purchase the definitive reprint of the series--USS Stevens, the Collected Stories from Dover Press. Take a minute to get yourself a copy. Buy it from your local comic book store or, if you have to, get one online. 

Take 10 minutes away from garbage-TV watching or trolling around on eBay and just crack that book to read a couple stories each night. You won't regret it. They are a mystical combination of haunting retrospective and poignant commentary on the human condition. Truly brilliant story-telling. I'm so glad that this humble person had the foresight and ability to delineate the incredible narratives that were swirling around in his head. My hats off to Sam. Sounds cliche, but it truly applies here: We've lost one of the great ones. Wishing Sue and his family the best in this difficult time.

If any of you have original art or favorite Glanzman stories to share, post those here in this forum. I'm going to see if I can post one of the stories I cherish.

Sad news indeed. The odd thing is I just started reading the USS Stevens collected stories book this last Sunday. I've only read a handful of them previously in the various big 5 books. But I must say as I read through them now in order,  they are really good . Certainly an underrated series. Favorite so far..."How Many Fathoms?" from OFF 128.

30 minutes ago, FutureFlash said:

Sad news indeed. The odd thing is I just started reading the USS Stevens collected stories book this last Sunday. I've only read a handful of them previously in the various big 5 books. But I must say as I read through them now in order,  they are really good . Certainly an underrated series. Favorite so far..."How Many Fathoms?" from OFF 128.

I'm going RIGHT NOW to check that out.
Mick

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Wow everytime i see a sweet "WINGS" i get the urge to start collecting them  !

your issue #65 is awesome !!!

Thank you! Yes I couldn't resist it seemed too good to pass up and love the cover! Mustang and P-40 are my favorite planes so it made sense :)

On 2017-07-13 at 11:21 AM, comick1 said:

Hi folks,

So sad to hear to this. :( RIP Sam Glanzman. 

On 2017-07-13 at 10:30 PM, comick1 said:

Big-5 War Comics Banquet / Auction (coincides with Thursday of San Diego Con)

Date: Thursday, July 20

Time: 8:00-10:15

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Address: 1747 India St San Diego  92101

As in the past, we charge $25.00 a head. That pays for salads for everybody AND you can order anything off the entree or pizza menu. You can also order sodas/non-alcoholic drinks on that tab. If you want to order any alcohol, the waitress will keep a separate tab and you'll pay that "cash bar" style at the end. Whatever is left over after the tip will be sent directly to Sue Glanzman.  I'm also gonna pass around a hat with a "suggested donation of $20.00" for Sue Glanzman.

Everybody's invited!

Special guest -- nobody! This year, it's just a buncha collectors (well, come to think of it. . .that's definitely SOMEBODY!!).

In the past, we collected art donations from artists, but I'm not going to bug any of the couple living folks this year. Collectors are welcome to bring their own items to auction off that night. We're inviting people to bring ANY things that they'd like to auction. You may specify how much of the proceeds from the auction will go toward the Big-5 group (20% minimum. In other words, people who donate an item pocket a maximum of 80%. If you want to donate more or the whole thing, that's up to you.). 100% of the proceeds of the auction will be split between Sue Glanzman and Russ Heath.  We no longer have a bank account, so I'll be taking the cash that we collect and turning it into a money order for Russ and Sue each.

If you CANNOT make it to the banquet/auction, but want to donate something in absentia(artwork, comics, or just plain cash), I'm willing to accept donations on behalf of Sam and Sue. You'll need to send it out to me in a hurry, though, if it's going to make it into the Thursday (only a week from now) auction. Please email/PM me for details. We've been doing this in one way or another to benefit the artists/writers for nearly a quarter century. If you need anybody to vouch for the integrity of this effort, I can give you a list of folks who can speak to the transparency and financial accountability of our long-standing (but informal) group.

Sam Glanzman Tribute!

If ANYBODY has Sam Glanzman art, I'm encouraging you to bring it to put on display as a mini tribute to Sam's genius. I'm going to bring my two USS Stevens stories and the painting I got from him. No, they ain't for sale, but we can all gawk at his work and raise a glass to a brilliant artist who made us laugh and cry.  And then we can send Sue a tangible quantity that represents our appreciation for the swell guy that Sam was and will always be!:headbang:

Hope you can make it!

Please RSVP with a headcount if you ARE planning on attending.

Best,

Mick

Private message or email work great.

comick1@cox.net

So close to going this year, but can't make it, sadly. See you all again soon, I hope.