• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

My first war book

5559.jpg

Mods notified. Someone hi-jacked Danny's account.

:jokealert:

Congratulations on your first war book!

lol

Thanks!!! :headbang:

danny, buying war comics.... is it the apocalypse?

Not yet.... its the apocalypse when I buy GA :shy:

My first war book

5559.jpg

Mods notified. Someone hi-jacked Danny's account.

:jokealert:

Congratulations on your first war book!

lol

Thanks!!! :headbang:

danny, buying war comics.... is it the apocalypse?

Not yet.... its the apocalypse when I buy GA :shy:

come on in, danny boy...the water feels nice....

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Great book Danny!! (thumbs u

Glad to see you posting, Fay!

Now for some not-so-great books, but I love 'em anyway. I may have posted the seller's scan of one or two of them.

GI Combat 66, pre-Rock Easy Company, wonderful kaleidoscope colors on the cover, a real beater for a buck.

50205-GIC66.jpg

GI Combat 76, Grandenetti greytone cover w/ a 0.5" hole in it, a bit of a splurge at about $4

50206-GIC76.jpg

Star Spangled War Stories 98, dino cover, worst shape of the three so possibly overpriced at $6

50207-SSWS.jpg

Fun stuff in affordable low grade.

Jack

Hi to all of my war buddies! :hi:

:banana: Happy New Year to you all!!! :banana:

I wish you all good fortune and good health, and perhaps you'll get some opportunities to acquire some really great books. (thumbs u

Andy

Been thinking about how Novick's covers aren't all that common in the late 10¢ers. He had some nice ones in the 12¢ers and Capt. Storm, but his later 10¢ covers seem to stand out for some reason. This is one of my favorite Novick covers.

aamow82.jpg

Of course, Heath covers never hurt either. I saw his recent Jonah Hex work and Heath still rocks.

aamow81.jpg

aamow93.jpg

Love Grandenetti covers with a deep red motif. This was unbelievably difficult to score in grade.

aamow71.jpg

I said I'd cross post with Salidas and non-Salidas, so there's an AAMOW I'm gonna put up on the Salida thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&page=0&fpart=3

Been thinking about how Novick's covers aren't all that common in the late 10¢ers. He had some nice ones in the 12¢ers and Capt. Storm, but his later 10¢ covers seem to stand out for some reason. This is one of my favorite Novick covers.

aamow82.jpg

Of course, Heath covers never hurt either. I saw his recent Jonah Hex work and Heath still rocks.

aamow81.jpg

aamow93.jpg

Love Grandenetti covers with a deep red motif. This was unbelievably difficult to score in grade.

aamow71.jpg

I said I'd cross post with Salidas and non-Salidas, so there's an AAMOW I'm gonna put up on the Salida thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&page=0&fpart=3

Wow, Mick, wow! :o You've just made my whole day!!! (thumbs u Thanks for posting those absolutely gorgeous books! (worship)

Now time to slide over to the Salida thread... :wishluck:

Andy

aamow82.jpg

aamow81.jpg

aamow93.jpg

aamow71.jpg

Wow, Mick, wow! :o You've just made my whole day!!! (thumbs u Thanks for posting those absolutely gorgeous books! (worship)

Now time to slide over to the Salida thread... :wishluck:

Andy

Glad you liked 'em Andy! It's a pleasure to dig through cool books and appreciate them for what they are once in awhile.

Mick,

Those books are killllaaaaaaah.

Grandenetti is so underrated. Here are a couple of early SSWS covers of his that just came in today. Look at this tank!!!

ssws31.jpg

And one of those great, evocative desert covers...

ssws36.jpg

And everyone will be pleased to know that I finally found an okay copy of OAAW #172.... a book that I have been looking for for quite some time. This one should hold me until a 9.0ish copy appears. (And of course, if anyone has a line on one, please let me know.)

oaaw172.jpg

It's a pretty cool story... I haven't got my Pedrin guide handy, but I'm positive it's also Grandenetti. And yes, there's no doubt that this story shares a few threads of DNA with the Unknown Soldier.... we never see the lone G.I.'s face, and he does put some solo whup- on all manner of Germans. Interestingly, this is an early Easy Company story, and it features a Sgt. Rock-like character named Sgt. Wall.

In all, a nice issue. Now to mention a great Heath art job as well!

Shep

Mick,

Those books are killllaaaaaaah.

Grandenetti is so underrated. Here are a couple of early SSWS covers of his that just came in today. Look at this tank!!!

ssws31.jpg

And one of those great, evocative desert covers...

ssws36.jpg

Talk about killer books!!!!!

Shep, those are nuclear! I'm sure that I HAVE seen the SSWS 31 before, but that copy is so blazing that I could swear that I've never. . .er SEEN it before. I actually recall seeing the SSWS 36 (I have neither of them) a few times and wondering what it'd look like in nice shape. WOW!!!!! When I first looked at the 31, it had an almost Atlas look about it. Must be the composition and colors which are somewhat unusual for a DC book. I checked it against the Pedrin Guide and it attributed the 31 to Novick which, judging by the tank guy's face and the drapery of the clothes of the GI, seems likely. THAT is a helluva nice Novick cover.

I LOVE that 36 cover too and even though Pedrin attributes it to Grandenetti, it has always seemed to me that Infantino had a hand in it. . .possibly the inks (though I can't think of any times when Infantino inked somebody else's work. During that era, his self-inking was all too rare. . . as stunning as it was. The editors inexplicably didn't appreciate his style). Adam Strange and I agree that Infantino being inked by somebody other than himself (or Anderson) is a sad waste. I'm sure Flash lovers would disagree with that, but I could NEVER understand why anybody cared about Flash when I was growing up. I liked the signature landscapes, but other than that, I couldn't understand why people lumped Infantino in with the Silver Age greats like Kubert, Heath, Kirby, etc. His self-inked stuff made me see the light.

Anyway, sorry for veering way off topic.

Those are truly beautiful issues.

SCORE!!

Nice book, Shep. :applause:

This is a cover that is easy to overlook because it's not flashy but I just spent several minutes staring at it because it's just that good for all the reasons given by Mick. I had not thought of the Infantino influence but I definitely agree it's there and something in the back of my head is reminding me that there's another book or two where Grandetti was influenced Carmine. The is probably all Grandenetti p/i but I'd love to be able to confirm it and see if he was watching what Infantino was doing at the time.

ssws36.jpg

Hey Mick, Adamstrange and Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words on the two SSWS books. Believe it or not, they were both ebay BINs for $40 a piece. As nice as they look (and they look awesome in hand) they are not without their flaws... the #31 has a bottom staple that is hanging on by its teeth, and the #36 has a name written on the interior. In both cases, the flaws were undisclosed by the seller. But on the bright side, the page quality on both are white to offwhite, and they are tight, flat and solid otherwise. These books come my way so rarely, that I'll take 'em any way I can get them!!

Shep