• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knoxville AdventureCon

60 posts in this topic

i'm tempted but the star power there is lacking this year and i know i'll spend too much of my heroes money smile.gif

That's kinda my feeling, but it will get me out of going to a wedding shower - so I'll be there smile.gif.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif something you would like to share with the group 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm tempted but the star power there is lacking this year and i know i'll spend too much of my heroes money smile.gif

That's kinda my feeling, but it will get me out of going to a wedding shower - so I'll be there smile.gif.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif something you would like to share with the group 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh - yeah, its not mine or my wife's smile.gif (that was last summer). I just know that if I'm in the same city, I'll end up having to move tables, etc. for it. I'm being a pretty bad husband about this, aren't I? grin.gif

Okay, made my one-day stop at the Knoxville Adventure Con yesterday.....and since I won't be able to make it back again today, I'll go ahead and give my, ummm, short con report.

I live only 45 minutes from Knoxville so it wasn't tough to get to. In fact it felt more like a trip to the local comic store since Knoxville has the closest stores to me anyway.

The Adventure Con is only a few years old(about 5 years I think), but it appears to be successful. The con includes comics, gaming, toys, costumes, and celebrities. But very few if any comic artist. They did advertise the presence of three independent artist that to their detriment-I had never heard of. Newt would have fit right in at the con as Star Wars was the most heavily represented costume feature with plenty of amature and professional folks walking around. I kind of felt sorry for the 2 poor Star Trek dudes in their formal dress as they were out-numbered something like 100 to 1.

Gamers were located on an entirely different floor from the dealers and celebs....and while I have partaken in many a D&D game and Magic the Gathering game over the years, it didn't hurt my feelings not to have to bump shoulders with your average spiked hair/black clothed gamer(I know, like bumping shoulders with fellow comic geeks is any better 27_laughing.gif)

Celebs were a mixed bag of B Listers.

for Sunday you get....Mini Me - My daughter was bummed that I would miss seeing him.

Saturday had: Corey Feldman...I'd rather have Marty Feldman(who I think is dead...still better than Corey insane.gif)

Adam Baldwin from Serenity

Ray Park from Star Wars...lives somewhere nearby cause he's always there

Holy buttcheeks batman...Burt Ward

Felix Silla, aka Twiggy, Cousin It, Ewoks, Jawas, etc. I think he lives in knoxville and is always there.

Since this show is just the week prior to the Heroes Con in Charlotte, it appeared that most of the out-of-town dealers were using this con as prep for Charlotte, i.e. what was hot and what was not. Plenty of good buys in bulk on Copper to Modern stuff .... but as expected High Grade bronze and older stuff wasn't too common.

My 1st stop was at the table of one of my buddies from Knoxville, Chris. Who goes by the handle of citadel90 on ebay(shameless plug). He's a fellow collector who sells on the side to finance additional purchases. He said his current pursuit was for Silver Age War books(gee, I think I've heard a few people around here talk about that being a hot item). Anyway, I took a pic of Chris and then arranged to pick up a couple of silver age boxes of comics from him. He's a fellow engineer who travels the U.S. and didn't think he'd get around to selling much this summer...so I offered to take them off of his hands(you'll see them on ebay next month devil.gif)

Here's a pic of Chris and his books.

chris.jpg

Afterwards I began my quest to find BigMike from the boards. I hadn't met Mike Bray prior to the con, but had noticed that he'd be dealing at the con. Since I didn't know what he looked like, I had to put on the ol' gum-shoe act and do a bit of detective work. Which consisted of walking up to dealers and saying "hey, who are you?" Smooth, Huh? As would be expected with that approach, some folks were friendly and some not so friendly. For those who took the effort to respond politely, I would repay the favor and at least buy something from them...except for a couple who had some terrible overpriced drek!!!!. Anyway, I eventually found BigMike before too long and got to make his aquaintance(and needless to say he was a nice and friendly fellow). And this was the first in-person board meeting for both of us. Here's a pic of Mike and his son, Ian. Ian was very tickle to hear that I'd post his pic on the internet.

mike.jpg

Turns out that BigMike was selling comics AND celeb autographs. It looked like he was having plenty of success with the 'graphs as I had to wait about 30 minutes for him to catch his breath between sells. Mike said he'd be posting a report sometime soon so I"ll let him pass on his con knowledge later on.

I also met Leroy Harper of LH Comics from Paducah, Kentucky. Leroy said that he was more of a lurker than poster but that he was quite familar with the boards. He also shared that he'd recently sent in a whopping 700 books to be cgc'd from a newly purchased one owner collection. I looked over his wares and they looked "sweet" with many great looking bronze and late silver age books. I was trying to restrict myself to my want list but gave in and bought this nice bat book from LH. Later on I met another buddy who showed me his nice ASM #129 in 9.4/9.6 range that he'd bought from LH. Needless to say, he was quite happy.

det422.jpg

between the modern pickups and the 2 silver age boxes...I didn't really have much cash to spend. The only other two significant purchases came from the Crazy Ed's booth. I don't know Crazy Ed, but he's must be located nearby because he's always in the Knoxville con. Anyway, he lives up to his title as his mouth didn't stop the entire time I was near him. He did have some nice books and the largest selection of CGC books at the con too. He had buddied up with an older fellow who was selling his personal collection. The fellows demeanor was so relaxed I couldn't help but hang around his boxes and finally found two keepers on my list....A nice Avengers #100 and an Eerie Frazetta cover.

av100.jpg

eerie2.jpg

This was a surprisingly good show. I was really surprised - a great mix of types of dealers and additional non-comic related stuff. I will definitely be going each year from now on.

The only other two significant purchases came from the Crazy Ed's booth. I don't know Crazy Ed, but he's must be located nearby because he's always in the Knoxville con.

Crazy Ed is based out of Miami, Florida...

Jim

This was a surprisingly good show. I was really surprised - a great mix of types of dealers and additional non-comic related stuff. I will definitely be going each year from now on.

Good buying show? details, details.... poke2.gif

Good buying show? details, details.... poke2.gif

I bought a ton of decent stuff, for not a lot (most of it was just modern stuff I'd pick up for cheap and sell on eBay for $10-20). It seemed like most of the people there were there for the sci-fi stuff/celebs, so the comics kinda went overlooked.

I didn't look at much high dollar stuff, and honestly, there wasn't a ton there. I would guess that one out of every two booths was a 50cent/dollar/two dollar booth.

I bought a ton of decent stuff, for not a lot (most of it was just modern stuff I'd pick up for cheap and sell on eBay for $10-20). It seemed like most of the people there were there for the sci-fi stuff/celebs, so the comics kinda went overlooked.

I didn't look at much high dollar stuff, and honestly, there wasn't a ton there. I would guess that one out of every two booths was a 50cent/dollar/two dollar booth.

On Saturday it was the exact opposite as the toy folks were grumbling about how all of the comic guys were ignoring them. 27_laughing.gif What a fickle bunch we are. 893whatthe.gif

And thanks for the info "awe" on Crazy Ed...after reading a few other con reports I noticed that his demeanor is rather consistent as he lives up to his name. 27_laughing.gif

I would have looked at his stuff closer, but got tired of hearing his sales-pitch.

Heck that was the only reason I didn't go because I thought it would just be a bunch of Sci-Fi stuff and no comics. I will have to remember that, if there is one next year.

Me too - I thought there might only be 5-6 comic dealers, but I was surprised.

Heck that was the only reason I didn't go because I thought it would just be a bunch of Sci-Fi stuff and no comics. I will have to remember that, if there is one next year.

Hey Keith, How many of the comic guys are usually set up in atlanta? anyone?

hi.gif I did not think I would get to go but I actually got to go on Saturday and was very happy I did look what I found in some 50 cent boxes grin.gif. And their was another guy with $3 boxes near the front bath rooms that had a ton of great books silver and bronze I got two Astonishing Tales #25's, Warlock #3, Marvel Super Heroes #18, a KULL #1 & Tales to Astonish #93 out of those, and their was lots more I wish I had bought. I think it was a great show for comics I had allot of fun thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1287526-35%5C%27slot.jpg

589a90c96f3e9_1287526-35slot.jpg.da5f8c8ab28c0016843690e99545a44c.jpg

Hey Keith, How many of the comic guys are usually set up in atlanta? anyone?

Crazy Ed was there (and making me nauseous), but outside of him and Wes/that Comic City guy that was it. It was a lot of new guys. One guy from the Detroit area was there that usually sets up at Nashville shows. Other than that - it was a lot of new guys.

Thanks Keith I found the variants right before the show closed on Saturday a little after 6pm almost did not even look in those boxes, were you their on Saturday or Sunday?

grin.gif Hear was my best find of the Show and my first and Favorite ASM #151 this is the Best Copy I have ever had of it at least VF/NM and for $4 cloud9.gif Got it from a Dealer in the middle row at the back he had allot of nice silver and bronze marked 1/2 off sticker still most was high priced but I think this was a real bargin grin.gif.

I would say their were around 20 Comic book Dealers their not bad thumbsup2.gif their was lots & lots of boxes I did not have time to go through frown.gif.

1287791-151.jpg

1287791-151.jpg.838b9824303b0eca5aa9b7f9353dd80b.jpg

Thanks Keith I found the variants right before the show closed on Saturday a little after 6pm almost did not even look in those boxes, were you their on Saturday or Sunday?

grin.gif Hear was my best find of the Show and my first and Favorite ASM #151 this is the Best Copy I have ever had of it at least VF/NM and for $4 cloud9.gif Got it from a Dealer in the middle row at the back he had allot of nice silver and bronze marked 1/2 off sticker still most was high priced but I think this was a real bargin grin.gif.

I would say their were around 20 Comic book Dealers their not bad thumbsup2.gif their was lots & lots of boxes I did not have time to go through frown.gif.

1287791-151.jpg

The MVS is missing gossip.gif

gossip.gif the 50 cent boxes I found those in were on the row to the far right when you come in facing the room, on the inside of that row about three or four tables from the end. I think the guy had about 5 boxes of loose 50 cent comics and most of his stuff was $1 comics. The guy was fixing to cover his stuff up as soon as I was through so I did not look as good as I should have might have missed a few frown.gif. I could have easily spent another day going through long boxes their thumbsup2.gif.