• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reform School Girl
3 3

29 posts in this topic

That's just one of the many charms of that era's "teen delinquent" flicks - men and women talking about being "hep" to what all the "cats" are into at the "soda shop" when in actuality they were eligible for Social Security. There's nothing like watching a guy with a rapidly receding hairline and a voice like a frazzled stockbroker trying to convince you he's 16. And don't get me started on the matronly "teenage girls." Ah, Bert I. Goron and Roger Corman, you movie-making scamps...

I remember 20 or so years ago this book was a super hot item...back when SOTI was in the forefront of the comic collectors minds and esoteric books were the rage...it looks like it is still in demand... 893blahblah.gif

This book reminded me of those old teen flicks from the early 60's.

UNTAMED YOUTH

SHE-DEVILS ON WHEELS

BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL

Great drive-in stuff. I don't think I actually watched any of the movies. Too busy in the back seat, if you know what I mean. wink.gif

There was an NM looking copy with a freak spine tear on eBay a while

back - looked like someone had shoved it into a mylar too quickly.

Don't remember what it sold for(?)...

On 6/1/2003 at 5:57 PM, Bugaboo-migration said:

WTF......$1,225 with over 7 days left to go. http://boards.collectors-society.com/images//graemlins/893whatthe.gif

Is the high price for this book just a case of horny collectors refusing to go outside the comic medium to get their thrills? http://boards.collectors-society.com/images//graemlins/insane.gif

Back when this thread was first started, I think it was collectors reliving their horny childhoods.  But today's collector is too young to have bought this book off the stands, so maybe your prophecy has come true.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Bought my copy for $15. at the Rose Bowl Flea Market from an early comic seller Loren Mark in the early 1970's. I was with noted San Diego comic dealer Jamie Newbold of SO CA Comics in San Diego. He bought his All Star #4 I believe. @Hap HazardReally thought I overpaid at the time but really liked it. Everybody I showed it to laughed and it started to take off in price. The digest was $1. at another flea market years later. The only thing like this the guy had. He laughed and said it reminded him of a girl in high school. 

comreformschoolgirl.jpg

Very nice, and nice to see them together, which shows how superior the composition, color and graphic design of the Diversey digest is compared to the comic book reprint cover.

The funniest thing about the original posting is the comments about the "grandaughter" and/or "matronly teenage girls". Figure Skating star Marty Collins was 17years old when she posed for the Diversey digest cover in 1948. She was obviously heavily made up for the shoot but was no matron and certainly no grandmother lol. Her father famously threatened to sue Avon for including two pages of "letters" between the fictional father and the Reform School Girl that insinuated the father had impregnated the girl.  Avon had the letters page sliced out of the vast majority of copies and copies with the letters page intact are exceedingly rare. Of course, that episode begs the question why he would allow such provocative photographs of her be taken/published in the first place.

Anyway, Great books!

On 8/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Back when this thread was first started, I think it was collectors reliving their horny childhoods. 

So that's what the OP is up to in his avatar....