• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus OA - question

21 posts in this topic

It can really vary - i bought a lot of early unpublished Sim pages from the Harry Kramer estate - been trying to figure out how much to sell them for for a long time.

They are from a Lovecraft story though, done before Cerebus, but im not sure by how many years.

This is the major hole in my Cerebus collection. I've not seen a page close on ebay for under $600 in years, except the one that I "won" for about $550 but it was reserve-not-met. A beautiful double-page spread just ended last week for about $1500. Aardvarkless, it was a tremendous Gerhard showcase. To think Sim used to sell these pages for $30-75 in the back of the book and I never got one.

Did Sim keep a alot of it?

Obvious and easy answer: yes.

It shouldn't shock anyone that Sim has an opinion on this. Basically, his job was to create comic books. Not art. The art was a process towards the end result. So he has no problem selling raw materials, just like he would sell you staples if you asked. BUT because comic art collectors are such losers, they all want the same pages from an issue: the-one-with-Cerebus-using-his-powers and they all want a discount, is how Dave puts it. And it's all just a pain in the butt to him. Dickering with dorks is not his goal, in fact it takes time away from his goal: making comic books. Which is why he never did commission work, or if he did it was big money. Because every second he spends drawing a picture that a collector hides away in his attic is a second taken away from making comic books. And while the attic picture might pay well -- though it would never be seen because the moment someone else views it the value becomes $0 -- it's a one time payment. But drawing the comic, that is a lifetime of potential revenue; draw it, then reprint it continously, the effort was done but the money continues to flow.

So, Sim has most of his work still. And auctions a couple pages a month on ebay, with some assistance.

Slightly OT, but has anyone got any Cerebus art they could post in the thread? It would be cool to see some. cool.gif

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=18122

joseph

Joseph I *LOVE* your splash - that is a truly classic page. For the uninitiated, Cerebus has just woken up and realized that he must have slept with red sophia the night before 27_laughing.gif

Slightly OT, but has anyone got any Cerebus art they could post in the thread? It would be cool to see some. cool.gif

joseph

I agree - that's a great Cerebus splash!

Joseph I *LOVE* your splash - that is a truly classic page. For the uninitiated, Cerebus has just woken up and realized that he must have slept with red sophia the night before 27_laughing.gif

joseph

Thanks a lot.

It was one of the first issues of Cerebus I read and the whole morning after sequence was just hilarious. Being able to find the page that takes you right back to when you first got hooked by a title is one of the best parts of this hobby.

Joseph

Has anyone actually read Cerebus? I have 18 issues left and I can't bring myself to continue. It's a horrible, arrogant read. The hubris jumps off the page; everything Sim rails against he is guilty of. On top of that, the humour just isn't there for me. And I really don't care about a re-interpretive look at the scriptures. And it really doesn't shock me that Sim believes he has discovered the Unified Field Theory or that he believes he has reconstructed Genesis so that is is an actual historical narrative. Ugh.

As far as the series goes, it certainly has it's ups and downs. The first 22 issues are garbage, but with High Society it ramps up. Church and State I & II are great, though the last part, on the moon, is a bit much. It's actually quite enjoyable for most of the run, with quite a few high points, though I could really have done without the Neil Gaiman portions. But with Form & Void the meandering begins. Latter Days is where the train wreck is in full force. I've been stuck there for about 6 months, with no urge to pick it back up. I've flipped through and read some of Last Day, the parts that Sim has allowed to be somewhat accessible.

But the ending, that's where the discussion lays, no? I look at that, and I try not interpret it as a standard evangelical reading. Interestingly, given my interpretation of Sims own religious views, I don't think he has forced that upon us either. It seems to me, though Cerebus appears to be dragged off, that instead Sim is representing simple death. That as the brain shuts down the light appears and then fades. The 'dragging' is instead our concious struggle. But then we just die. And the rotting begins. While there appears to be a heaven before Cerebus, I think that is merely memories. And as Cerebus fades from the page it should be noted that there are 3 remaining panels. If Sim appears in the comic AS god, and basically acknowledges us the reader as along for the ride, the death simply represents a secession of Cerebus from our arrangement. No heaven/hell mystery. The character doesn't want to leave, but Sim ends him.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=14041

When we (Paul Litch, Peter Dixon and I) visited Dave's offices in 2003 for the Cerebus 300 signing, we got to see a great deal of what Dave has kept. Most of the early phonebook covers are framed and up in various rooms around the converted house - they are stunning and HUGE. He's also got Bill Sienkiewicz's original painting for Cerebus Jam #1 up, as well as some of the covers for the early issues (like #6) in his computer/fax room/office. He keeps the original pages he has held onto in a pantry. There were about 1/2 a dozen shelves in the pantry with foot high stacks of pages on them, so yes, he's held onto most of the art from the latter half of the run.

Dave has ambitions of creating a permanent Cerebus archive exhibit for displaying most of the pages that he has kept, and he doesn't want to sell any more pages. So what he mostly sells these days are things like prelims and new "recreations" of classic covers, or new pin-ups/commissions.

Like the ACTOR auction cover recreation of Cerebus 56 that is on my wall, about 7 feet from where I sit typing this. His cover recreations are absolutely stunning.

He did some amazing sketches and commissions at the con this year. He seems to have taken on an "pay what you can and you get what you pay for". A friend of mine asked for two $75 pieces (a Cerebus and a Wolveroach) and he got an amazing great two-page commission with lettering.