• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you organize your collection?

96 posts in this topic

Independents (Dark Horse, Epic, Wildstorm, Image, etc.)

I don't divide by company, because a lot of titles jump around... so it's entirely alphabetical by title.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think that's a great way, I have many titles that are the only one of a company, I think that's my new form of manage my indy comics. Thanks!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad to be of service! thumbsup2.gif

here is my setup

I drew up some plans to give to a local carpenter for a custom made bookcase to hold about 10.000 comics and also hold about 500 TPBs.

here's the empty unit

newstorage.jpg

kast2.jpg

Once the books are bagged and boarded I put them in an upright cardboard box.

These are not your usual long and shortboxes, but magazine-storage type boxes which display and protect better and are acid-free

I get about 50 comics in each box and they are very easy to access.

Each box also has a label telling me which series or books are inside

kast1.jpg

it never gets hot here, it never freezes...everything in moderation, all rooms are 17°C at night and when nobody's home and 22°C at all other times...

Sunlight never reaches the books, I always leave half of the drapes closed so the part with the shelving-unit and my PC never get too much light.

The spines of the books are normally deeper down into the boxes, just put them up-front as they look better for taking pictures.

Room was flooded with light so I could take the pictures. The one with the boxes needed 5 takes (with flash) before I could get a decent pic because of lack of light.

cabinet1.jpg

And yes mylars/board/storage boxes cost a pretty penny, but I like to keep things tidy and neat, and I'm can pull any book in under 30 seconds...

I'm also convinced the reason my wife tolerates me spending a lot of time/space and money on my funny books is because I don't make a mess tongue.gif

Yeah, and I can't imagine what these "comic rooms" we've seen pictures of would do to the ladies. (I hope those collectors are already married).

Actually, the comic room was the wife's idea. cloud9.gif

And she's cute, too.

893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Bought it on this french site:

cabinet

More pictures:

IPMR1276_A1.jpg

IPMR1276_P.jpg

IPMR1276_A3.jpg

What was important to me was a closed cabinet to avoid light damages on the comics.

My cabinets are pretty much identical...I bought 3 of them for $99.95 each at a local hardware chain. This is the best pic I can get as they take up a whole wall of my "comic/computer/workshop/my stuff" room:

PICT0204.jpg

I've just started getting all of my colletion and the room in order so proper pics are forthcoming when all will be completed. Here is the inside, using cardboard magazine dividers that I got at Ikea for $2.49 per pack of 5 takeit.gif...

PICT0205.jpg

I've just started getting all of my colletion and the room in order so proper pics are forthcoming when all will be completed. Here is the inside, using cardboard magazine dividers that I got at Ikea for $2.49 per pack of 5 takeit.gif...

Are there any issues in using the cardboard dividers? Are they acid free? I ask because I'm interested in doing this.

Are there any issues in using the cardboard dividers? Are they acid free? I ask because I'm interested in doing this.

The ones I'm using are, but they're nearly $2.00 a piece blush.gif

Well, I found myself something to use for my comics.

It hold about 112-120 per shelve/locker/space (however you wish to call them)

1302783-SUNP0001.JPG

Only $20 by the time I got the paint.

Cheaper then them Boxes from the LCS.

The ones I'm using are, but they're nearly $2.00 a piece blush.gif

Where would you find acid free ones, or at least know they are acid free?

Thet aren't acid free and I couldn't care less...there's enough ventilation and anything really important is in mylar. At the very least the less important books are in polybags. No contact is made so there won't be any damage done confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm lucky in that my collection isn't too big. I estimate that I have around 620 comics, around 70 comic magazines, and an unknown number of graphic novels.

I keep everything in short boxes because I feel that long boxes get too heavy. I have the boxes numbered and when I inventory them in a couple of weeks, I will use that box number as a way to locate books.