• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

I know it is reprinted material, but i have always liked the cover, you cant go wrong with Lou Fine! and thanks to CL this was secured (if grade is accurate 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) at 40% guide, which to my knowledge is not the norm on this book

Flame1.jpg

Wow, great buy, Mad Dog. Reprints or not, a wonderful early Fox. I love that logo, too! Nice! thumbsup2.gif

And here's the other one ... this is from the board's own Gifflefunk!! And I will say it was a pleasure dealing with him ... very quick service , and the book lived up to its description!! Nice page quality, and solid. See his link in the Dealers thread...

The #8 seems to be tough, maybe due to its AWESOME cover, so I was very happy to find this one!! Just love this Joe Simon cover... the use of color is incredible.

(and Gifflefunk has some other nice Fox's, very reasonable)...

1664251-MYSTMEN10_post001.jpg

1664251-MYSTMEN10_post001.jpg.652528014769403b4350bf02ad113fe5.jpg

Edited by RyanH

bumpit.gif

Here's one of two MYSTERY MEN that arrived recently... I am half-way done my (low grade) run of MYSTERY MEN 1 to 10!

Congrat's to you, Ryan 893applaud-thumb.gif - it's amazing how similar our collecting tastes are.

Mystery Men 1-10 would be a great run. It's a daunting task, but I'm trying for the Larson run myself (well my Mystery Men 1 is the Denver and I don't plan on changing that). I have six of 'em so far, so I'm more than half-way home.

I wonder where the Larson Mystery Men 8 is hiding out?

STEVE

Edited by sacentaur

bumpit.gif

Here's one of two MYSTERY MEN that arrived recently... I am half-way done my (low grade) run of MYSTERY MEN 1 to 10!

Congrat's to you, Ryan 893applaud-thumb.gif - it's amazing how similar our collecting tastes our.

Mystery Men 1-10 would be a great run. It's a daunting task, but I'm trying for the Larson run myself (well my Mystery Men 1 is the Denver and I don't plan on changing that). I have six of 'em so far, so I'm more than half-way home.

I wonder where the Larson Mystery Men 8 is hiding out?

STEV

Yes, our tastes are incredibly similar... which would be a bad thing , except that our GRADE criteria is at opposite ends!! 27_laughing.gif I can't compete with your collecting calibre... but at least I can find some crumbs left on the floor at the end of the day!

So you have five Larson MYSTERY MENs?? That is an incredible feat in itself.

I think the first ten issues are gems... the covers are really top-notch.

Six actually: Larson Mystery Men 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10. And I know where the 3 is, too ( devil.gif). The Larson copies of Mystery Men 8 and 9 would be a nice find, but I'm not holding my breath.

Believe it or not, I used to own both Church and then later Allentowns also, so this is my third go-round with Mystery Men.

STEVE

Six actually: Larson Mystery Men 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10. And I know where the 3 is, too ( devil.gif). The Larson copies of Mystery Men 8 and 9 would be a nice find, but I'm not holding my breath.

Believe it or not, I used to own both Church and then later Allentowns also, so this is my third go-round with Mystery Men.

STEVE

NICE!! Unbelievable... I hope I get to see those one day. Especially the #2 and the #10 ... I think #10 may be my favorite cover of the run. (did you post your Larson #10 earlier? May be time to post that baby again!)

Only one question: HOW did you ever bring yourself to part with the Church MYSTERY MEN??? (must have been Centaurs involved...)

popcorn.gif

I think #10 may be my favorite cover of the run. (did you post your Larson #10 earlier? May be time to post that baby again!)

shy.gif Well, if you insist...

100_1119.jpg

Only one question: HOW did you ever bring yourself to part with the Church MYSTERY MEN??? (must have been Centaurs involved...)

The Eye truly Sees all...(the Church copies of Amazing Man 6 - 11 came my way).

STEVE

OUCH!!! the blinding colors on that copy ... must ... look ... away...

If I had a bird, I would have to line its cage with my copy of the #10 ... yours just blows mine away.

and, I KNEW there had to be Centaurs involved!! I would say that was a good move on your part ... those AMANs are among my favorite golden age books... hands down. ( I recall your AMAN #6 looking stunning as well)

893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

Good god man..3 pedigree Mystery Men runs..You sir are the grand wizard of greedy SOB's in my book.It also explains why books of this caliber are so hard to get.I would love to have just ONE pedigree Mystery Men.

I think #10 may be my favorite cover of the run. (did you post your Larson #10 earlier? May be time to post that baby again!)

shy.gif Well, if you insist...

100_1119.jpg

The Eye truly Sees all...(the Church copies of Amazing Man 6 - 11 came my way).

STEVE

Steve, what an awesome book. I can see that the pages are bone white. If you won't sell it to me, can I at least buy your camera?

STEVE

Good god man..3 pedigree Mystery Men runs..You sir are the grand wizard of greedy SOB's in my book.It also explains why books of this caliber are so hard to get.I would love to have just ONE pedigree Mystery Men.

I am honored by the "grand wizard" nomination XL, but the Official Manual of Regulations for Greedy SOB's specifically states (Chapter 2, section 13, subparagraph B1) that in order to qualify for membership an individual must own multiple copies of the same book at the same time....so that unfortunately leaves me out.

I will however continue on as Hall Monitor in the Greedy SOB thread until I can earn a real promotion.

STEVE

Steve, what an awesome book. I can see that the pages are bone white. If you won't sell it to me, can I at least buy your camera?

Glad you enjoyed the scan RHG, but my camera came from the estate of Rod Serling and I'm kinda attached to it.

However, I do have available a lovely Italian silk evening gown once worn by Burt Lancaster if there are any husky 6'2" girls in your life.

STEVE

STEVE

Steve;

Although the Fox books are generally acknowledged as being one of the tougher GA publishers to find, I have always known that there were HG copies of the early Fox books out there just based on the pedigrees alone. I have also seen quite a few of the so-called "Black S" copies of the early Fox books around, although these are not considered to be a pedigree of any sort.

Besides the Church, Allentowns, and Larsons, do you know of any other pedigrees that would have a good sampling of the early Fox books?

STEVE

Steve;

Although the Fox books are generally acknowledged as being one of the tougher GA publishers to find, I have always known that there were HG copies of the early Fox books out there just based on the pedigrees alone. I have also seen quite a few of the so-called "Black S" copies of the early Fox books around, although these are not considered to be a pedigree of any sort.

Besides the Church, Allentowns, and Larsons, do you know of any other pedigrees that would have a good sampling of the early Fox books?

There are some respectable Nova Scotias.