• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

"Alex, I'll take 'More Unusual Lou Fine Color Schemes' for $1000...."

Here's a neat Fox you don't see all the time...not quite as cool as Wonderworld #7 and #8, but still a fun one. A wild rainbow of colors here!

1478007-ww12.jpg

1478007-ww12.jpg.86b296123d83c9826f36434dcf8c6a0e.jpg

>> I am a big fan of the "woman in glass tube" motif

AKA Women in Tubes (WIT) covers.

And I thought I was the only one with that particular ... taste ... in covers!

How about Chamber of Chills 22 (2) from Aug 1951 (I think it's an attachment to this post).

How about Chamber of Chills 22 (2) from Aug 1951 (I think it's an attachment to this post).

Just checked it out... nice one. (could only get the general idea of it, as its a Gerber postage stamp-sized photo!)

(sorry to get off topic, but a "women in tubes" thread would be nice to see...) cloud9.gif

Just checked it out... nice one. (could only get the general idea of it, as its a Gerber postage stamp-sized photo!)

(sorry to get off topic, but a "women in tubes" thread would be nice to see...) cloud9.gif

Probably someone has a better scan than this of the all-time classic WIT cover.

1477314-WeirdScience20.jpg

Jack

GREAT looking copy PointFive!! Definitely on my want list... that Fine cover is... well, FINE!! The machinery and the bondage girl, with the exploding city in the background... awesome.

Thanks, Ryan!

Funny thing is, this actually happens in the story. The bad guy yells at The Flame "Stay back...unless you want half the city BLOWN UP!" The Flame advances anyway...the bad guy presses a button...and sure enough, half the city is blown up. I guess even superheroes have off-days. confused-smiley-013.gif

GREAT looking copy PointFive!! Definitely on my want list... that Fine cover is... well, FINE!! The machinery and the bondage girl, with the exploding city in the background... awesome.

Thanks, Ryan!

Funny thing is, this actually happens in the story. The bad guy yells at The Flame "Stay back...unless you want half the city BLOWN UP!" The Flame advances anyway...the bad guy presses a button...and sure enough, half the city is blown up. I guess even superheroes have off-days. confused-smiley-013.gif

God Bless the golden age writers. I love that sort of stuff.

Well, I only own one Fox comic (a recent acquisition from Metro), but I'm starting to come around. They sure had a fair number of great GGA covers. cloud9.gif

I've shown this book around a couple of other related threads, but I doubt its one you guys are going to get tired of looking at: tongue.gif

Dagar14_Ohio.JPG

Probably someone has a better scan than this of the all-time classic WIT cover.

1477314-WeirdScience20.jpg

Jack

I like the way the guy on the cover thinks...

Stealing this cover from Collin in the "greedy SOB" thread:

1332400-l4029.jpg

This same Jack Farr drew a story in Fantastic Comics #2 (1/40), among others. I don't know anything about him... I would assume from his work for Fox that he was a member of the Eisner/Iger shop, before the war started?

Very distinctive art (and lettering), to say the least!

Summer 1941 - during this time, all the Fox titles were full of ads for a drink called Kooba Cola, which was apparently never made (a Victor Fox scheme to create a demand before the product even existed!).

Thank you!!! I've been wondering about Kooba Cola for YEARS, and couldn't understand why I'd never seen any other advertising memorabilia for it. I had no idea it was a marketing ploy. I'm so glad you solved that for me!

Does anyone know where this lie got started? Kooba Cola definitely existed and was at least sold locally in the NY area (well, its the only locale I've seen Kooba items show up). I suspect Fox tried to get national interest going by advertising it in his comics, but it looks like it failed to get national distribution.

KoobaCola.jpg