• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Uh oh, october is afflicted with 3F ("Fox Fine Fever")...you're on a roll, pal!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

steve, looks like i've contracted it as well; going after the first 12 mystery men now, since mrbedrock put me on to my second one the other day.

Ahhh, congrat's Billy - I thought it was a real beauty and was sorely tempted to get it myself (but then I'd be back in the Greedy SOB thread with two pedigree copies of the same book, and we can't have that!).

STEVE

steve, one of mine is an allentown, and the other is of course the nova scotia of which you speak--since you know this area well, what are the chances i could find recognized p'grees of the other 10? i guess the 1 would require a third mortgage on the house [second was for the marvel 1, natch].

Uh oh, october is afflicted with 3F ("Fox Fine Fever")...you're on a roll, pal!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

steve, looks like i've contracted it as well; going after the first 12 mystery men now, since mrbedrock put me on to my second one the other day.

Ahhh, congrat's Billy - I thought it was a real beauty and was sorely tempted to get it myself (but then I'd be back in the Greedy SOB thread with two pedigree copies of the same book, and we can't have that!).

STEVE

steve, one of mine is an allentown, and the other is of course the nova scotia of which you speak--since you know this area well, what are the chances i could find recognized p'grees of the other 10? i guess the 1 would require a third mortgage on the house [second was for the marvel 1, natch].

Heck, I can tell you where to find them. You just won't be able to purchase them!

Here is a very cool Lou Fine Flame cover from little Lamont's collection

WON3.182aopt.jpg

That's awesome.

Hi boys,

Every once and a while I wake up in the morning and wonder if it is really worth my while to get out of bed.

Just knowing that there are a bunch of rabid collectors out there who adore old Fox comic books helps to pull those blankets away.

I hope that I make someone's day by announcing my Fletcher Hanks website where you can look at a slideshow of a Fantomah story from Jungle #13 (O.K., O.K., I know it's Fiction House, not Fox).

The Fletcher Hanks book will be out within the month.

In the meantime, go here:

www.fletcherhanks.com

Best,

-Paul

Hi boys,

Every once and a while I wake up in the morning and wonder if it is really worth my while to get out of bed.

Just knowing that there are a bunch of rabid collectors out there who adore old Fox comic books helps to pull those blankets away.

I hope that I make someone's day by announcing my Fletcher Hanks website where you can look at a slideshow of a Fantomah story from Jungle #13 (O.K., O.K., I know it's Fiction House, not Fox).

The Fletcher Hanks book will be out within the month.

In the meantime, go here:

www.fletcherhanks.com

Best,

-Paul

Hey Paul,

Looking forward to the Hanks book more every day... thanks for the link. The website looks great, and the FANTOMAH story is a nice warm-up for the book.

Again, your work on this project is greatly appreciated by so many of us... thanks for your dedication.

Ryan

Rabid Fox collectors, checking in! hi.gif

I 100% second Ryan's sentiments. Paul, thanks so much for your work on this book. I'm very excited to finally find out more info about Hanks, and to gulp down some "new" Hanks stories...can't wait!

--Jon

Here's a new pickup I was unable to resist...pretty cheap ebay win:

1812912-weird10sm.jpg

I must be the only person in the world collecting these Weird Comics!...or at least the ones without the Fine covers. I don't really know why I do, but it's some combination of

--the huge cool logo on each issue (note my sig!) wink.gif

--the bold, bright cover colors and cheerfully stupid heroes

--the off-the-wall stories, where the features and the artists drawing them were constantly rotating.

These books just scream "early superhero GA", and I love 'em.

As a footnote, The Dart's sidekick Ace was intro'd just a few months after Robin, so he would count as one of the earliest boy sidekicks. (I leave it to you to decide whether that's a good thing or not!)

1812912-weird10sm.jpg.134696663c570a6225bab950a4635c4c.jpg

I must be the only person in the world collecting these Weird Comics!...or at least the ones without the Fine covers.

Next time let me know about the auction and I'll be your under-bidder. You might pay more but at least you'll feel better. insane.gif

Nice pick-up. laugh.gif

Here's a new pickup I was unable to resist...pretty cheap ebay win:

1812912-weird10sm.jpg

I must be the only person in the world collecting these Weird Comics!...or at least the ones without the Fine covers. I don't really know why I do, but it's some combination of

--the huge cool logo on each issue (note my sig!) wink.gif

--the bold, bright cover colors and cheerfully stupid heroes

--the off-the-wall stories, where the features and the artists drawing them were constantly rotating.

These books just scream "early superhero GA", and I love 'em.

)

Its the primary colors that make them zing...Actually, Fine did not do any of the Weird covers. Number 1, at one point attributed to Fine is by Tuska...(followed by Simon, Ashe, Rice/Casaneurve and Patenaude)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

Of the run (which I have), I think #20 is about the toughtest to secure.

1815688-weird20.jpg

jon

1815688-weird20.jpg.81844eb85992002e35b32586eb7497b3.jpg

Its the primary colors that make them zing...Actually, Fine did not do any of the Weird covers. Number 1, at one point attributed to Fine is by Tuska...(followed by Simon, Ashe, Rice/Casaneurve and Patenaude)

Gotcha, my bad. I did think #1 was a Fine cover.

Of the run (which I have), I think #20 is about the toughtest to secure.

I believe you. I've never seen a copy for sale!