• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,168 posts in this topic

Church 2 (I love this cover)

Me too. It doesn't look like Lou Fine's work but it's quite a striking image.

It is not Lou Fine, it is Edd Ashe who did a number of covers for Fox after Joe Simon left Fox. He also did covers for MLJ.

jb

Thanks

Some Fox books from late in their first incarnation......1 and 2 Church.......3, 4, and 5 Larson....and 6...well it's #6.....jon

oh and when Fox turned out the lights the first time thru and Holyoke took over publishing for a while, Samson 6 turned into Capt. Aero #1 (actually #7)

42517-samson1.jpg.57d0dc6fccdf278a1e3e196ff1d2f2a8.jpg

42518-samson2.jpg.a763e470cac7c616d6686146a136e560.jpg

42519-samson3.jpg.0676f650831c1f64572e0b40c9501c78.jpg

42520-samson4.jpg.3f318a274cc86cdc54b6a5416716da7a.jpg

42521-samson5.jpg.4e14f369f3eb727c2cc02cb685c7269c.jpg

42522-samson6.jpg.ad4c59280b2e339f8738ea13717eb347.jpg

Here is another 'run' of Fox books from the pre-war years that you do not see often...(#4 is the Larson)....jon

Great books, Jon! And yep, a super rare run. :applause:

I wonder, can you do me a huge favor, and tell me which of the Big 3 books have Fletcher Hanks Stardust stories? hm

Steve, I don't know how I missed this entry, but MAN, congrats on a nice score!! I think you got a bargain on that book!!

WOO HOO :banana:

Thank You my friend - it's nice when one works out like this!

I think the only Big 3 with a Fletcher Hanks story is issue # 2.

"De Structo & the Headhunter" Stardust story that thankfully was reprinted in the Fantagraphics Hanks book I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets (a must have item, btw).

"De Structo & the Headhunter" Stardust story that thankfully was reprinted in the Fantagraphics Hanks book I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets (a must have item, btw).

Yep, seeing that story was a great surprise!...and made me think I might have missed others in the Big 3 title. So thanks, Bangzoom, for the heads-up (or thumbs-down, as it were).

Here is another 'run' of Fox books from the pre-war years that you do not see often...(#4 is the Larson)....jon

I wonder, can you do me a huge favor, and tell me which of the Big 3 books have Fletcher Hanks Stardust stories? hm

correct the only Big 3 with Hank is #2.....You guys also should refer to Keltner's Guide which was limitedly distributed in the late1990s. Every page of comicbooks from GA to late GA indexed by content.....jb

correct the only Big 3 with Hank is #2.....You guys also should refer to Keltner's Guide which was limitedly distributed in the late1990s. Every page of comicbooks from GA to late GA indexed by content.....jb

Hi Jon,

Any idea where I could obtain a copy of Keltner's guide?

Are the stories indexed by artist's at all, or just by content (character/title)?

thanks!

Are the stories indexed by artist's at all, or just by content (character/title)?

Ryan,

the Keltner Index has been available for free online for a while now. You can view / download the PDF file from this linky. You'll quickly see that the index is done by title and character. It contains no artist information.

Ryan,

the Keltner Index has been available for free online for a while now. You can view / download the PDF file from this linky. You'll quickly see that the index is done by title and character. It contains no artist information.

Thanks loads Scrooge (and Jon B)!!! That is an amazing reference tool. Wish I had this when I started buying a few years back.

Apparently the first print ran out quickly. I've been trying (not too hard) to find a copy for a couple of months and it's backordered everywhere for a second print. Who'd have imagined Hanks as a runaway best-seller 60-some years later?

Jack