• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Somewhat off-topic, but you guys are the only folks I know who just might know something about this.

Those of you who have read my book, "I Shall Destory All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks" know that I have been working under the assumption that Hanks stopped working in comic books in 1941. I was shocked to find a comic book called "Witty Comics" #1 published by Irwin H. Rubin containing Hanks artwork from !1945!!!

Does anybody know anything about Rubin or have any other titles from this outfit that might contain Hanks art?

-Paul

Are you sure it isn't a reprint of earlier Hank's work or possibly an unused story?

Many of those one-off publishers would use old inventory or outright swipe stuff and print it.

Somewhat off-topic, but you guys are the only folks I know who just might know something about this.

Those of you who have read my book, "I Shall Destory All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks" know that I have been working under the assumption that Hanks stopped working in comic books in 1941. I was shocked to find a comic book called "Witty Comics" #1 published by Irwin H. Rubin containing Hanks artwork from !1945!!!

Does anybody know anything about Rubin or have any other titles from this outfit that might contain Hanks art?

-Paul

Hi there Paul... When you check back in, can you tell more about the new Hanks story you found?

I agree with Mr. Bedrock that it's such an oddball company/title that the story may have been lifted from something earlier...but would love to know more either way.

Going to catch your NYC lecture if I can!

Jon

The Hanks story from Witty is anoither lumberjack story like the Big Re McLane tales from the first few issues of Fight. In fact, he even swipes from himself! there will be examples from the upcoming interview in The Comics Journal (where Haks and the interview will be featured on the cover of the Best of 2007 issue! That's a scoop, for anyone who gives a hoot.)

I am fairly certain that the 1945 story was drawn later based on my knowledge of Hanks rendering style.

Does anyone have any suggestion where I should turn to ask this question (other message boards? other experts?) ?

Does anyone have any suggestion where I should turn to ask this question (other message boards? other experts?) ?

Questions of that nature could be asked to Mike Feldman. He hangs out on the GCD list. I think you should sign up for that mailing list and ask there. You would have a good chance of at least a partial answer.

Billy congrats on the Blue Beetle # 1 . :golfclap:

One of my all time Faves that I have in Golden Age . Fun Stories , even though thier reprints from Mystery Men.Eisner / Fine cover , simplistic, but it kicks . :banana:Your copy is Sweet for the grade .

It's me again.

Based on the unbelievable response to "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets" (now in it's third printing!), I am beginning to contemplate a second volume of the comics of Fletcher Hanks. Below is my wish list.

Does anyone have any of these books? If so would you be willing to make some decent high-rez scans for me for potential publication? In return you will receive an acknowledgement should the book be published, an inscribed copy of the book, and my undying gratitude.

Here's the list:

Hanks wish list

JUNGLE (Fiction House)

#2 Mystery Woman of the Jungle

#4 Gorilla story

#8 [The Temple In the Mud Pit]

#9 The Tiger-Women of Wildmoon Mountain]

#12 [The New Blitzers]

#14 [The Revenge of Zomax]

FIGHT COMICS (Fiction House)

#3 [The Timber Thieves]

#4 [The Lumber Hijackers]