• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Thanks for the information Ryan!

I believe earlier in this thread Jon said he had the Larson copy of Science #3. I just noticed the letter 'L' written in pencil by the monsters shoulder. Is it possible Lamont had 2 copies? Just asking. :shy:

science3a.jpg

If your book has an "L" distributor code then it's not a Larsen. Though it's still a cool Fox book (I vote for Tuska as the artist).

Edited by adamstrange

Hi everyone, I am back after a long absence but that does not mean that i have not been enjoying the juicy scan y'all dish up.

Thanks also to all of you who picked up my book, "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks". The book has done surprisingly well and is now in its 3rd printing thanks to enthusiasts such as yourselves.

The publisher is keen on pulling together a 2nd volume, but I have run out of stories. Can anyone help me out by providing good scans of the Hanks' tales in the following:

JUNGLE (Fiction House)

#2 Mystery Woman of the Jungle

#4 Gorilla story

#8 [The Temple In the Mud Pit]

#9 The Tiger-Women of Wildmoon Mountain]

#12 [The New Blitzers]

#14 [The Revenge of Zomax]

FIGHT COMICS (Fiction House)

#3 [The Timber Thieves]

#4 [The Lumber Hijackers]

#5 [The Sinister Stranger]

#6 [The Paper Racketeers]

#7 [The Lumber Hijackers]

#8 [The Monk's War Rockets]

#9 Last appearance Sept. 1940 [searching For Sally Breen]

Daring Mystery (Timely)

#4 [Mars Attacks] Whirlwind Carter

#5 [Planet of Black-Light] Whirlwind Carter

Planet Comics (Fiction House)

#2 The Dashing, Slashing Adventure of the Great Solinoor Diamond, Tiger

Hart (Medieval story)

#5 Buzz Crandall [slaves of the Flower People]

#8 Buzz Crandall [sophus, the Mad Philosopher]

P.S. That is most assuredly NOT a Hanks cover on that Science. Tuska is my bet.

Thanks for the information Ryan!

I believe earlier in this thread Jon said he had the Larson copy of Science #3. I just noticed the letter 'L' written in pencil by the monsters shoulder. Is it possible Lamont had 2 copies? Just asking. :shy:

science3a.jpg

Who's the funny looking guy in the red hat on the right?

:whistle:

Yep, that's Dynamo alright. Inside he looks completely different. Well, he at least changed into a blue costume with a cape and different headgear.

bix3131: I'd love to help you out but I don't have those Fiction House titles. I might have the Darings though. I'll check.

Hi everyone, I am back after a long absence but that does not mean that i have not been enjoying the juicy scan y'all dish up.

Thanks also to all of you who picked up my book, "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks". The book has done surprisingly well and is now in its 3rd printing thanks to enthusiasts such as yourselves.

The publisher is keen on pulling together a 2nd volume, but I have run out of stories. Can anyone help me out by providing good scans of the Hanks' tales in the following...

Paul, nice to "see" you! Don't be a stranger around here.

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a nice reader copy of Jungle #14. I am planning to hook you up with the scans from that one.

I'd also suggest you consider some of the early Space Smith stories from Fantastic Comics for the new book -- I don't think they're all as bad as you think! :), and they do make up a sizable chunk of Hanks' total output. Offhand I remember the Space Smith stories from Fantastic #2 and #6 as being really fun.

The publisher is keen on pulling together a 2nd volume, but I have run out of stories. Can anyone help me out by providing good scans of the Hanks' tales in the following...

Paul, nice to "see" you! Don't be a stranger around here.

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a nice reader copy of Jungle #14. I am planning to hook you up with the scans from that one.

I'd also suggest you consider some of the early Space Smith stories from Fantastic Comics for the new book -- I don't think they're all as bad as you think! :), and they do make up a sizable chunk of Hanks' total output. Offhand I remember the Space Smith stories from Fantastic #2 and #6 as being really fun.

PAUL!!! I have not forgotten about your scans for JUNGLE #4 ... (gorilla story), just been busy.

Will try to get these done ASAP! Let me know what the specs are that you need... JPEG? 300 dpi? etc.

Now THAT"S the kind of response I was hoping to get from y'all!

Why don't you guys get in touch with me via the CONTACT page at www.fletcherhanks.com website and I can get you the specs.

While you are there, I suggest that you check out the obituary of Fletcher Hanks, Jr. who, I am sorry to say, died a few weeks ago.

BTW, PointFive: I imagine that if a second volume DOES appear a Space Smith story will be included. I am fairly certain that these stories were largely sketched-in by Hanks but most of the penciling and inking was done by an inferior hand. There are one or two that are pretty good, though.

Does anyone know anyone else who might be able to help me out? Thanks a million!

-Paul K.

Hi Paul, quick question. Over the Christmas holidays I saw that the book was also released in France in french. It was mind-blowing in that I never thought you'd market it in other (non-english speaking) countries. Did the book do as well over there as it did in the US?

The Mystery Men group shot by sacentaur inspired me to try posting my own. No doubt about it, I'm going to have to get #7 someday. I never get tired of these covers. :luhv:

mysterygroup2.jpg

Great group shot :applause:

As I understand it, the Hanks book has done moderately well in France. So far there have been no other offers for other foreign editions. I think it would do very well in Japan, though...they seem to like twisted American stuff.

I still need some help tracking down those missing tales. Any idea where to turn? Any other message boards, collectors groups, anything?

Also, I will be signing Hanks books in New York on April 18 at Desert Island in Brooklyn and on April 19 at the New York Comic Con. Come on by!

thanks,

-Paul

I still need some help tracking down those missing tales. Any idea where to turn? Any other message boards, collectors groups, anything?

Paul, I think part of the problem is that many folks here collect higher grade golden age books, and are not able to scan pages out of them without damaging the spine/staple areas.

I think your best bet is to keep watching ebay. I'm sure coverless/low-grade copies of at least a few of these will come around if you keep an eye out.

Have fun at the signings!

The Mystery Men group shot by sacentaur inspired me to try posting my own. No doubt about it, I'm going to have to get #7 someday. I never get tired of these covers. :luhv:

mysterygroup2.jpg

(worship)

Excellent shot, Ghoulaid!! I sense we have similar collecting interests!! In other words, you have great taste. (thumbs u

Thanks Ryan! I think we might have similar tastes. I just started reading the GA Group Shot thread and noticed about 1 1/2 years ago you posted a picture that included a sweeeet Red Raven #1. :o That got my adrenalin pumping.