• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,236 posts in this topic

This was a random finding as I was digging for stuff on Joe Simon & Al Avison. This cover is Champ 22 (Joe Simon?, 9/42). The baddie at the bottom is almost a direct swipe of one of the guys from Wonderworld 7 (Lou Fine, 11/39). The other bad guys are clearly swiped as well, at least in concept. Makes you wonder if Joe Simon didn't have the OA to Wonderworld 7 as reference material.

73537.jpg.08312c908de1a6f23a6c44914f0cb989.jpg

73538.jpg.f5095097c078cac5589eacad3bc5ffd6.jpg

Help! I can't stop posting this book, or looking at it. I think I am addicted to a Fox...

Fantastic6rescan.jpg

it's just so damn golden-agey.

My stupid scanner can't do justice to the colors at the top. As you know, the book has to be held to be truly appreciated.

Help! I can't stop posting this book, or looking at it. I think I am addicted to a Fox...

Fantastic6rescan.jpg

it's just so damn golden-agey.

My stupid scanner can't do justice to the colors at the top. As you know, the book has to be held to be truly appreciated.

here's Ritter's scan. It is too dark, mine is to light. The books is actually somewhere in the middle

FantCom_6_90.jpg

It needs to be cracked out to be truly appreciated. How can you see anything through all that plastic?

This was a random finding as I was digging for stuff on Joe Simon & Al Avison. This cover is Champ 22 (Joe Simon?, 9/42). The baddie at the bottom is almost a direct swipe of one of the guys from Wonderworld 7 (Lou Fine, 11/39). The other bad guys are clearly swiped as well, at least in concept. Makes you wonder if Joe Simon didn't have the OA to Wonderworld 7 as reference material.

Here is the OA for the cover. Interestingly, it has a small signature Glaven (see left edge) which has to an alias. It is a GREAT cover . jon

73594.jpg.1c694b0b12b0794d7a3550bedf349579.jpg

73598.jpg.448adb3dfb94da135cfedda62b57f296.jpg

73599.jpg.236118c48c094d988f841dd55bfa7d83.jpg

Here is the OA for the cover. Interestingly, it has a small signature Glaven (see left edge) which has to an alias. It is a GREAT cover . jon

73598.jpg

Joe Simon used the name Glaven as a pseudonym. Link

I thought so. Thanks for the link. Here is another OA by "Glaven". It is smoother and more graceful than most of his stuff. jb

73602.jpg.999064ac7d1549b4aa61cce5eeb4191e.jpg

Quick note. The Champ 22 is a "no-space" Gerber book. Whoever did the stat reproduction obviously did not have the book as reference. He got the "month" wrong as opposed to the actual cover. Jon

No posts in the Fox thread in six weeks? :whatthe: That ain't right! Let's see if we can jump-start things a bit.

I was under the weather a couple weeks back, and found the time to take some group shots of my Fox collection.

Hope you enjoy!

Fantastic Comics #1-12 (with no #3 :cry: ). The Fletcher Hanks stories rock. A lot of potential in these early Fantastics, which trickled out once the Eisner/Iger shop stopped doing them.

74695.jpg

Next up are the Weird Comics! This has been a pet project of mine the last three years. It's a tough title to collect,

but a really fun one. I still need #1 and #20.

Early half of the run first... (They sure liked blue covers, didn't they?)

74696.jpg