• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

well, the "all fox books thru july '40" [plus weird 5 and rex dexter just cuz i like 'em] is 10 books from complete. here is the -10 complete group shot.

foxrun.jpg

:o(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) :cloud9:

fantastic8SF.jpg

samson is not looking to save the girl. he's just pissed cuz right before going to work on her face, they removed his neck

I like the skulls

what's up with those face branding machines anyways? Were they common in 1940? :insane: same theme on a couple of marvel mysterys (#12 for sure). Those two books are separated by only a couple months.

fantastic8SF.jpg

samson is not looking to save the girl. he's just pissed cuz right before going to work on her face, they removed his neck

I like the skulls

what's up with those face branding machines anyways? Were they common in 1940? :insane: same theme on a couple of marvel mysterys (#12 for sure). Those two books are separated by only a couple months.

Joe Simon was involved with drawing both covers.

You must have no dogs, cats, or babies to shoot those floor shots. Collections like these make me woozy. :luhv:

those are pool table shots; didn't you get a load of the reds on that 3-ball? 2 dogs, an 8 yr. old, no cats. i'm most careful of the books when gator comes to visit. very, very clumsy.

other than the blue beetles and the one-shots, only the mystery men are complete thru 7/40. my sole nova scotia and allentown reside therein.

mysterymenrun.jpg

Sweet. (worship)

HEY come to think of it MMC12 has a similar background statue too! Anybody know more about this?

Aside from AStrange Simon connection, the statue in the background is a very common theme in the graphical representation of the Yellow Menace from the strip & pulp days.

The very first daily sequence of Terry & the Pirates include such an idol and as another example, here's a quite similar statue on the cover of The Shadow's The Fate Joss (July 1935) -

78995.jpg.5ef44d9102d001e71c439682af56ffc9.jpg

HEY come to think of it MMC12 has a similar background statue too! Anybody know more about this?

Aside from AStrange Simon connection, the statue in the background is a very common theme in the graphical representation of the Yellow Menace from the strip & pulp days.

The very first daily sequence of Terry & the Pirates include such an idol and as another example, here's a quite similar statue on the cover of The Shadow's The Fate Joss (July 1935) -

(worship)

Pulps had to be a big influence on comics. I'm sure movies and later television were too. I was watching Dr. No the other day, and I'd bet money that's where Kirby came up with the costumes worn by members from AIM (Nick Fury advisaries).

other than the blue beetles and the one-shots, only the mystery men are complete thru 7/40. my sole nova scotia and allentown reside therein.

mysterymenrun.jpg

Love that run Billy. :luhv:

I know #3 gets all the oohs and ahhs, but #8 is a better cover for my money. Any chance you could post a full size scan of that one for us?

:wishluck:

Pulps had to be a big influence on comics...

I wouldn't be shocked if the statue on the Fantastic #8 cover were swiped from a specific pulp cover...the face is nicely drawn. We've uncovered a couple of pulp swipes from this era, and I suspect there are many more out there.

Since we were chatting about later Weirds in the cigar thread... Always happy for an excuse to post these again. ;)

Very unusual colors on this trio!

45605-weird16sm.jpg

49708-weird17sm.jpg

49709-weird19sm.jpg

Since we were chatting about later Weirds in the cigar thread... Always happy for an excuse to post these again. ;)

Very unusual colors on this trio!

45605-weird16sm.jpg

49708-weird17sm.jpg

49709-weird19sm.jpg

well done. how long before shiv comes on and says: "cool books; i've never noticed those before." artists can be some damn predictable.