• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I don't know what kind of person would pay so much for a really nice looking copy of a book that seems to virtually never come up to market (shrug)B|

I have become much more comfortable with restored books when it comes to the books that are just never available. Having a great looking 8.0 Larson Science 2 with some ct and a Mystery Men 10 7.5 with some work done I am perfectly happy. If Berk can enjoy those kinds of books I think I can. I had a pretty nice copy of this book before that I parted company with for 20k so getting this one for $4500 felt kinda cheap.

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

The takebot strikes again! I agree on some of the restored books, my view has changed over time as well. That MM 10 really looks gorgeous doesnt it?

Oh, I am more like the son of takebot for sure. I really love that Book. MM 10 and Science 2 are the two Fox books I really have almost an emotional response to. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Oh, I am more like the son of takebot for sure. I really love that Book. MM 10 and Science 2 are the two Fox books I really have almost an emotional response to. 

LOL, William must have gone to bed early :)

13 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Since my Science 2 is slabbed, I have no idea what’s on the pages within. If you happen to know, is there any payoff in terms of story and/or art inside? 

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Since my Science 2 is slabbed, I have no idea what’s on the pages within. If you happen to know, is there any payoff in terms of story and/or art inside? 

The cover sells that book the stories are secondary :smile:

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

2 hours ago, comicjack said:

The cover sells that book the stories are secondary :smile:

Jack is correct, in the sense that the cover has tremendous appeal.

But I love the stories, for their wacky GA formula where there was no formula.

Here is a way to read the stories without having to unslab your copy:  http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=36583

How can you go wrong with pages like this? -->

1544265143_ScreenShot2018-08-28at9_17_05AM.thumb.png.c99c86c2db398f8fa0935c0b58d6220b.png

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Jack is correct, in the sense that the cover has tremendous appeal.

But I love the stories, for their wacky GA formula where there was no formula.

Here is a way to read the stories without having to unslab your copy:  http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=36583

How can you go wrong with pages like this? -->

1544265143_ScreenShot2018-08-28at9_17_05AM.thumb.png.c99c86c2db398f8fa0935c0b58d6220b.png

I love the interiors on early Fox books.  There was really no formula and you can see they we're just testing the waters to see what would work.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I love the interiors on early Fox books.  There was really no formula and you can see they we're just testing the waters to see what would work.  

Especially after Victor Fox learned in no uncertain terms that the Wonder Man formula wasn't going to work! 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 8/27/2018 at 6:52 AM, lpsunburst said:

I don't know what kind of person would pay so much for a really nice looking copy of a book that seems to virtually never come up to market (shrug)B|

I have become much more comfortable with restored books when it comes to the books that are just never available. Having a great looking 8.0 Larson Science 2 with some ct and a Mystery Men 10 7.5 with some work done I am perfectly happy. If Berk can enjoy those kinds of books I think I can. I had a pretty nice copy of this book before that I parted company with for 20k so getting this one for $4500 felt kinda cheap.

Wow, it looks like you are really hitting it out of the ball park this week with not only this restored copy of Mystery Men 10, but also this absolutely gorgeous copy of Blue Beetle 52 that just ended in CL's auction today:  :luhv:

RAD3B71A2018625_115124.jpg

Love your taste and congrats on your 2 pick-ups as you've definitely got the sharp eagle eye for the great classic covers.  (thumbsu

In terms of the Mystery Men 10, what was the grade and pedigree, if any, since it sounded as though you got a very strong price on the book at $20K?  Especially considering that Richard only had to pay something like $22,500 for the Jon Berk Church copy of MM10 which was and still is the highest graded copy at CGC 9.4.  hm