• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I picked it up from James Payette. You’d think he would have mentioned it. Not sure where he obtained it. I take it the markings are meaning something? Aside from some dust shadows, it’s  a really well preserved copy. Aurora? Never heard of that ped. 

It came out of Aurora Colorado in the mid-90s and was brought to market by Bill Hughes.  The red grease pencil is indicative of many of the books.  If it was sold at auction then I can probably match it up against the photo.

2 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

It came out of Aurora Colorado in the mid-90s and was brought to market by Bill Hughes.  The red grease pencil is indicative of many of the books.  If it was sold at auction then I can probably match it up against the photo.

I don’t know that this book ever sold at auction. I was going to submit the book to CGC tomorrow. I reckon I should note it as an Aurora on the order form?

6 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I found this with similar markings

5E52EEAB-D07A-4476-B8FD-DE55DA242D3E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I don’t know that this book ever sold at auction. I was going to submit the book to CGC tomorrow. I reckon I should note it as an Aurora on the order form?

The first and largest batch of Auroras was sold at auction in 1996.  I'm checking the catalog now.

I would definitely list Aurora it on the label even if I can't match it to a picture in the auction catalog.

There was a Zegra 2 in the collection and your distributor matches what was used for the Zegras.  They do not picture your copy but it sure looks to me like the Aurora.

Here's a picture of the Zegra lot.

Zegra aurora.jpg

5 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Is this a mislabeled Aurora?

Yes.  I'm pretty sure the prior owner of the book will confirm that for you.  It was not part of the auction which is not too surprising as I'm sure it went directly from Hughes to the prior owner.

9 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Yes.  I'm pretty sure the prior owner of the book will confirm that for you.  It was not part of the auction which is not too surprising as I'm sure it went directly from Hughes to the prior owner.

Hughes was not the original finder.  Dennis at Castaway was the one who brought them to market, Hughes cherry picked from Dennis.  I bought a number of books from Dennis and Tim Collins that never we're seen by Hughes.   

17 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Most likely that's the Aurora copy.

Just heard back from Payette today. Nope he wasn’t aware about the pedigree. He says he picked it up a several years back in Virginia from Dave Anderson. 

On 8/11/2018 at 9:38 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Agree. The cover of Weird 2 has many of the hallmarks of Lou Fine. Except for the goon with the headgear at the bottom right of the cover -- his face looks "Simon-ized" to me, a bit more cartoony. But given how crazy and bewildering this cover is (what exactly is going on here??), I wouldn't be surprised if this cover was a paste-up melange of different images from the hands of both Fine and Simon, without much regard for creating a rationally coherent scene... hm 

Disclaimer: all idle speculation!

A Mummy stirred ... a gun flashed and blasted the fiend into eternity. I could be wrong, but that's my take. :)

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A Mummy stirred ... a gun flashed and blasted the fiend into eternity. I could be wrong, but that's my take. :)

Yes, but, but... okay, smart guy, what's up with the roentgen radiation girl in a trance, and the swami behind her? :popcorn:

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Post #1,500. Seems like a good occasion for this hard-to-find book, cross-posted from the Have a Cigar thread. It was kind of a follow-the-bouncing-ball thing from SDCC to n2wdw to Terry's Comics to Nikelspot to yours truly. I'm on :cloud9: with this book, warts and all!

Mystery_Men_7_jg.thumb.jpg.d13038479efdded5896b630f7aa05e98.jpg

This thing is begging to be freed from it's magazine sized tomb Jay! :baiting: 

6 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

On the plus side, maybe that's the key to no Newton rings. It just takes a slab the size of a bathtub.  :D

On 8/17/2018 at 8:50 PM, Point Five said:

On the plus side, maybe that's the key to no Newton rings. It just takes a slab the size of a bathtub.  :D

Yeah, it's kind of odd it's in such a large holder. I think maybe because of the spine roll? But it's also definitely an old-school oversize holder, not at all like the newest "Newton" holders.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, entalmighty1 said:

I would do, and should do, but worry that it might melt into a tattered mess of "0.5" pulp paper as soon as I disentombed the poor fella...

Haven't bought an early Fox in ages. Finally picked up this one... CFO copy but the price was right. Looking forward to the read; never owned an issue of V Comics before. (Hard to even do an online search for a title that's one letter long!)

vcomics1.jpg.edcb8c84b5ef1e2efb0d4408d0322b86.jpg

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Haven't bought an early Fox in ages. Finally picked up this one... CFO copy but the price was right. Looking forward to the read; never owned an issue of V Comics before. (Hard to even do an online search for a title that's one letter long!)

Very nice!

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

Love this book!!! great pickup!!