• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Were you giving or receiving? :popcorn:

A pair of Fox "headlights" for a recent graduate...

DSCN1980-2.jpg

My assumption has always been that Ramona Patenaude and Ramona Fradon are one and the same. If so she would have been very young when she worked for Fox - recorded DOB for Fradon is 1926 or '27. She stopped working as Patenaude in 1946 it seems.

She married the cartoonist Dana Framon. By the time she begins to work for DC she has polished her style - the line is more fluid. But when I compare the work of Patenaude and Fradon, I see enough similarity -especially in their dynamic compositions - to make it at least conceivable.

If so from Blue Beetle to Metamorpho was quite a journey!

Fabulous as ever, Mr Berk! I'd love to find more of Ramona's covers - I only have the one.

BlueBeetle1265.jpg

Now, that's what I would call a really nice looking 6.5 copy! :takeit:

Based upon the front cover, this would appear to be severely undergraded. I imagine there must be something on the back cover or in the interior knocking the grade down on this particular copy?

BTW: A nice run of bondage covers on these BB books. (thumbs u

Here's a cover she did under the nom de plume of Roland Patenaude for the pulps

stirring_detective_and_western_stories_194106.jpg

You can kinda make the name in the lower drawing.

Thanks Michaël

On the basis of this image - slightly sharpened in photoshop, I now have little doubt that Ramona Fradon - respected DC artist, had a clandestine former career in her maiden name as Ramona Patenaude, and that for some reason she didnt want this known -or maybe no-one asked her the right questions! But my! she was young when she did this - a genuine prodigy I'd suggest. Unless she lied about her age, and what honest woman would do that - ummm!

stirring_detective_and_western_stories_194106.jpg

Compared to this page found on the web, it's pretty evident that the same hand is at work - a rhythmic, slightly mannered style. I'd guess she "rehearsed" the motions then drew quite quickly.

MetaMorpho2pg.jpg

Her lines have a way of wrapping themselves around the forms she describes - it's the sum total of all the lines that drops into place to create the likeness of reality in motion. Her creations arent "timeless", they exist in real time and engage with us - they have defined personalities.

The main change from early days with Fox is that she has learned to vary the thickness of her line - and knows that a line can be thickened on one side but thinned on the other so that it is asymmetrical, which creates the illusion of turning through space.

Ramona:

ts.jpg

Linky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Fradon

Still, Alanna, I can't fathom that it's the same person. Fradon is still with us, does shows and has been interviewed countless times. It's hard to believe that the question wouldn't have been raised at some point or that she wouldn't have mentioned that part of her career.