• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Someone was recently asking which Fox books are the scarcest. I answered in a general way about the late-hero, late-1941-early-1942 issues... but I'm now thinking V Comics #2 might literally be the scarcest one. In 9 years of Fox collecting I've never seen this cover. Jon Berk, do you (or anyone else out there) have a copy?

http://www.comics.org/issue/2051/cover/4/

I have all the pre-war Fox books including the V #2 which is a VF+

There are "holes" of Church books for MMen 21-23, Fantastic 17-19 and WW 23, 24 , 29

Everyone have a Samson 6?

At the end of runs and the summer issues of 1941 are scarcer.....jb

I have a Samson #6 ... not as nice as yours. :cry:

samson6.jpg

Someone was recently asking which Fox books are the scarcest. I answered in a general way about the late-hero, late-1941-early-1942 issues... but I'm now thinking V Comics #2 might literally be the scarcest one. In 9 years of Fox collecting I've never seen this cover. Jon Berk, do you (or anyone else out there) have a copy?

There are "holes" of Church books for MMen 21-23, Fantastic 17-19 and WW 23, 24 , 29

Man, that's a beauty, Jon.

Scaled down a bit and reposted here... Incredible colors!

108482.jpg.677c4c0cc4a35d1b2f2b37864252fcf6.jpg

Man, that's a beauty, Jon.

Scaled down a bit and reposted here... Incredible colors!

thanks.....I have a new scanner but was too lazy to rescan. Note the issue of collapse (death throes) of comicbook companies at about this time....Fox and Centaur, and paper restrictions account for scarcity also

Take a look at BB 12 where they literally took off the Fox logo as the shift for this title went to Holyoke for a while......and note where Samson 6 continued with ex-Fox partner Farrell with the Ajax titles.......

As we in the legal trade would say "See generally, http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm."

108483.jpg.5371241559c0f0d823179b3d537a64c3.jpg

since i filled my run, this thread has more or less gone to sleep. but in addition to the thru 7/40 run, i'm also grabbing all the first issues of the s/h books, just for kicks. grabbed this one tonight.

pl13.jpg

since i filled my run, this thread has more or less gone to sleep. but in addition to the thru 7/40 run, i'm also grabbing all the first issues of the s/h books, just for kicks. grabbed this one tonight.

Love that Phantom Lady #13, even if I don't understand the lingo ("s/h"?).

Speaking of Fox comics, I just acquired one that I have not seen very often: Spectacular Stories Magazine #4 (Sherlock Holmes). This is the first issue, though oddly enough there is a 2nd issue that is #3. I love the kooky girl-fight cover -- it fits in well with my fondness for Crimes by Women comics (even if the figure-drawing is terrible). Sorry for the weird photo angle.

spectacular-stories-mag.jpg

s/h = super hero books

I have never paid attention to that issue before but the Sherlock Holmes connection caught my eye. Does it include adaptation of the original stories? If so, which ones?

I have never paid attention to that issue before but the Sherlock Holmes connection caught my eye. Does it include adaptation of the original stories? If so, which ones?

Is "Walter Marino, Death at the Opera" an original Holmes story? (My guess: Not likely)

walter-marino.jpg

Is "Walter Marino, Death at the Opera" an original Holmes story? (My guess: Not likely)

walter-marino.jpg

Thanks for sharing the interior but unless I'm losing my mind much faster than I think neither the title nor plot sound like an adaptation of a Conan-Doyle story.

:headbang:

Finally got one! :banana:

wonderworld7.jpg

Here are scans of my two entries in the Fox sweepstakes, both of which have covers printed on glossy stock:

I love 'em! I do wonder, though, about the zebra's pink eye (demon zebra?) and the alligator's bandaged-looking paw (mummigator?). Not that anybody looks at the animals...

The anatomy of any beings other than human females seemed to be of little interest to Matt Baker.

hm

The Fox books were produced by the Iger workshop so it's very likely that Matt was assigned to only the most critical pencil work leaving others to ink and fill in other parts of the cover and interiors.