• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me something I've never seen!

203 posts in this topic

You know, I just got to thinking about it, and they might be willing to grade them. After all, they grade those small Cheerios premiums and ashcans don't they?

They probably would, but they'd go in a full size slab. Overkill. crazy.gif

CGC should get with a novelty company and have some mini-slabs with real miniature comics inside produced for advertisement. Maybe some mini Golden Age or key issue covers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Trading card sized Convention freebies, cool swag. cool.gif27_laughing.gif

BubbleSlab.jpg

that would be a nice keychain 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

replicas in mini slabs I mean

Yeah! thumbsup2.gif Oh wait...wouldn't they suffer from mini-SCS swinging on the end of a chain like that? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

But they were probably already trimmed in blue lables to begin with.... gossip.gif

I work in HR and I was interviewing a woman who was a candidate for a Director of Marketing position. She works at a Financial company so I asked her how she communicated to perspective clients about their services and out she pulls 3 comic books. Here is one.

Scan0001.jpg

Thought it was pretty interesting. I actually told her about CGC and said she should get one of each graded for the company and posterity.

This is pretty cool. This is a Fanzine helmed by Bob Layton and Roger Stern with much of the art by a certain John Byrne (before he made it into comics.) Sorry for stretching the page... but the Neal Adams/John Byrne Deadman sketch is pretty cool too. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Also found throughout this fanzine, John Byrne's Batgirl, Punisher, and Sub-Mariner from 1973 plus various Rog-2000 drawings.

This is CPL Issue #8 from April-June 1974. 40 pages. Circulation: 1200 (I also have Issue #12. Both of these came from a friend who purchased them when they came out.)

CPL-8-FC.jpg

CPL-8-p2-3.jpg

CPL-8-p4-5.jpg

Shin, I've hoarded that Air Pirates book (and number 2)-- also, there is a big little book where the cover AP 1 was originally swiped. Those two books are among my favourite UG's -- thanks for posting!

Here are some UG rarities/oddities (thanks to Allan for the Georgia Straight tabs):

Adventures of Jesus, first print (distinguishable by watermark). This is the Book of Genesis when it comes to Underground Comix. Only 42 of these were published back in 1962, mimeographed at the U of Texas law dept, and were passed out to friends and students on campus. I've got all the printings leading up to the printing in Gilbert Shelton's The Austin Iconoclastic Newsletter.

adv_jesus_sm.jpg

Georgia Straights tab (Aug/Sept 1970) featuring a full-page cover spread of Shelton's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers:

georgia124.jpg

This isn't a comic, but still kinda cool. We see lots of vintage anti-communist stuff, but here's a pro-communist booklet from the former USSR circa 1984, meant to be distributed to tourists or sent abroad. It's full of propaganda explaining Soviet views on the cold war. "The New Threat to Europe: Who Is To Blame?"...luckily, the cover image answers that question for us, juxtaposing a US missile with a mountain of skulls! 40 pages of anti-US sentiment. I'd guess almost all remaining copies were destroyed after the USSR dissolved.

1282816-threat.jpg

1282816-threat.jpg.0122bcd204851d6cde9c6df22cd33ef7.jpg

This isn't a comic, but still kinda cool. We see lots of vintage anti-communist stuff, but here's a pro-communist booklet from the former USSR circa 1984, meant to be distributed to tourists or sent abroad. It's full of propaganda explaining Soviet views on the cold war. "The New Threat to Europe: Who Is To Blame?"...luckily, the cover image answers that question for us, juxtaposing a US missile with a mountain of skulls! 40 pages of anti-US sentiment. I'd guess almost all remaining copies were destroyed after the USSR dissolved.

1282816-threat.jpg

Very cool. Any gems from inside?

Here's a comic from Buick. This book features the 1955 Buick as shown on the cover. I purchased this book not for the comic value but because I have a 55 Buick that is the exact duplicate of the one shown on the cover.

BuickComic.jpg

BuickComic2.jpg