• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punisher #1 CGC 9.8.....WTF??!?!?!?!?!

214 posts in this topic

Waaaay too much money. In defense of the book, it is a cool book that lends itself to slabbing because of the pure awesomeness of Zeck's cover.

I think I've passed on that book over the last year when the price exceeded $150. Looks like it will take a couple of years before it comes down to that.

Waaaay too much money. In defense of the book, it is a cool book that lends itself to slabbing because of the pure awesomeness of Zeck's cover.

Would look better with a Yellow label. wink.gif

Yes it would but zeck doesn't do many shows so it is hard to track him down to sign a copy.

With that being said I love this books but 400 seems about right not 510

Wow! These are insane prices for this book!! I just saw the one at $404 and was about to post about it in general, but saw this thread here first.

$510 is insane, $400 + is insane. I would consider $85 maybe. This is going to be one of those books that consistently heads south in price over the years as there are bound to many many NM/M copies lying around in collections that will show up in slabs.

Wow! These are insane prices for this book!! I just saw the one at $404 and was about to post about it in general, but saw this thread here first.

$510 is insane, $400 + is insane. I would consider $85 maybe. This is going to be one of those books that consistently heads south in price over the years as there are bound to many many NM/M copies lying around in collections that will show up in slabs.

This is a limited edition book hello McFly.

Name me some books that have "headed south in price"

I wish there were some NM/M books lying around. These books have awful blunted corners............

I wish there were some NM/M books lying around. These books have awful blunted corners............

Limited Series, not to be confused with Limited Copies of the particular book. how about that Limited Wolverine #1 that's always available on eBay.

Trust me, this book came out in 86', dealers and collectors were well aware of hoarding these in mint condition by then.

I'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books.

'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books

Yep. grin.gif

I realize those books are 10 years older, but they're less significant than the Punisher. $500 makes no sense for this book, but it makes even less sense to me to pay that for an Invaders #1 or Champions #1. Just my opinion.

Limited Series, not to be confused with Limited Copies of the particular book. how about that Limited Wolverine #1 that's always available on eBay.

Trust me, this book came out in 86', dealers and collectors were well aware of hoarding these in mint condition by then.

I'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books.

You make a goood point. I just wonder why there are not coming out of the woodwork yet given the high price. I rarely see these books at comic shops. And I rarely see one without the serious blunted corners. Thank.s

I just wonder why there are not coming out of the woodwork yet given the high price.

Because CGC 9.2-9.6 Direct copy prices aren't exactly blowing the doors off, and not everyone can afford to send in 100 copies with a CGC 9.8 cut-off.

'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books

Yep. grin.gif

I realize those books are 10 years older, but they're less significant than the Punisher. $500 makes no sense for this book, but it makes even less sense to me to pay that for an Invaders #1 or Champions #1. Just my opinion.

I'll bet you in 5 years, it will be much clearer that purchasing an Invaders#1 or Champions #1 would have been the better fiscal choice to make for $500.

I don't view this book as being more significant than those, but maybe that's the difference between a BA fan and a CA fan. It will be interesting to see how more and more of these pop up out of the dealer stacks now that it is hitting $500 range.

Look at the recent surge of Star Wars #1 9.8's that popped up after it started going for stupid money. Look at the Transformers #1's that are now constantly popping up after a few of them went for $400 +.

Trust me, if BA book's were hoarded by dealers and collector's, then these will not end up being scarce at all.

I'll bet you in 5 years, it will be much clearer that purchasing an Invaders#1 or Champions #1 would have been the better fiscal choice to make for $500.

Man, I cannot believe someone typed that. foreheadslap.gif

In 5 years, people will be making forts out of that crepe.

Yep. grin.gif

I don't view this book as being more significant than those, but maybe that's the difference between a BA fan and a CA fan. It will be interesting to see how more and more of these pop up out of the dealer stacks now that it is hitting $500 range.

Look at the recent surge of Star Wars #1 9.8's that popped up after it started going for stupid money. Look at the Transformers #1's that are now constantly popping up after a few of them went for $400 +.

Trust me, if BA book's were hoarded by dealers and collector's, then these will not end up being scarce at all.

I am a BA fan, even though I grew up with copper, so that has nothing to do with it. Punisher getting his own title in my mind is more significant than a grouping of C-List heroes for a short lived title, or a throw back to a GA team that isn't all that popular either.

As for how many 9.8's there are of each of these books, that's irrelevant if we're discussing which book is more important. Quite frankly, all 3 of these books are common as heck in 9.6 and paying this kind of premium for a label will ultimately prove to be a poor fiscal choice, regardless of the age of the book.

Yep. grin.gif

You're on. I'll wager that on July 10, 2011, the value of a CGC slabbed 9.8 Punisher 1 is higher than a CGC slabbed 9.8 Champions 1. What's the bet?

BTW, I believe that both of them will be significantly LESS than $500, but the Punisher 1 wil be less significantly less than the Champions 1.

...less significantly less....???????

As a retailer in '86,I remember this mini-series really surprising everyone.I don't know a single dealer that didn't run out of these books pretty quick.Anyone who did have copies they didn't sell right away certainly didn't expect this book to have the legs it did.I don't believe this was hoarded in any sort of similar fashion to SW #1,Spidey 252,ect,ect. I don't think its rare,but I don't think there are a gazillion copies out there,either.

Come on Shad, Punisher LTD was worth more than ASM 129 for a few years after it was published, and it was pretty obvious the book had "legs".

But you may be right about the "dealer hoards", but I know a lot of collections I bought and local stores found, feature multiple unread NM+ copies of this book in them, as it, along with the Wolverine LTD, was one of the hot speculator books of the day.

Yes,the book had great legs,but dealers that didn't have a great stock sold out of the book.Unlike some phony hot books,this one really was. When I obtained copies,it was from collectors,not wholesalers.

Man, I cannot believe someone typed that. foreheadslap.gif

In 5 years, people will be making forts out of that crepe.

If that's the case, then they'll be using Punisher #1 for the toilet paper in their fort. 27_laughing.gif

Yep. grin.gif

I am a BA fan, even though I grew up with copper, so that has nothing to do with it. Punisher getting his own title in my mind is more significant than a grouping of C-List heroes for a short lived title, or a throw back to a GA team that isn't all that popular either.

As for how many 9.8's there are of each of these books, that's irrelevant if we're discussing which book is more important. Quite frankly, all 3 of these books are common as heck in 9.6 and paying this kind of premium for a label will ultimately prove to be a poor fiscal choice, regardless of the age of the book.

Really, you think they were all C-list heroes? Captain America is a C-List hero?

I do want to clarify that somehow we got off the topic of the price for these three books and moved it into the realm of which character is more significant. I'm not trying to debate that. You could take a character like Wolverine and ask why his Limited series #1 in 9.8 is going for half of the Punisher's 1986 series #1. It doesn't always have to do with who is more significant.

Yep. grin.gif

You're on. I'll wager that on July 10, 2011, the value of a CGC slabbed 9.8 Punisher 1 is higher than a CGC slabbed 9.8 Champions 1. What's the bet?

BTW, I believe that both of them will be significantly LESS than $500, but the Punisher 1 wil be less significantly less than the Champions 1.

Ok, I'll bite, but first you got to translate your BTW comment so that it makes sense poke2.gif