• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this forum starting to feel like Ebay? *DELETED*

171 posts in this topic

Sellers are not the only problem. There is a lot of talk behind the scenes of bidders not honouring their purchases at an alarming rate. I know because it's happened to myself as well and i rarely sell here and it seems im not the only one. If you are "in the loop" you'll have heard about this.

Furthermore the best sellers, the likes of Nikos and comicdey, are just not wasting their time on us anymore frown.gif

Hehe, I don't think nikos has changed the way he does things. He just doesn't sell constantly. =)

Sellers are not the only problem. There is a lot of talk behind the scenes of bidders not honouring their purchases at an alarming rate. I know because it's happened to myself as well and i rarely sell here and it seems im not the only one. If you are "in the loop" you'll have heard about this.

Furthermore the best sellers, the likes of Nikos and comicdey, are just not wasting their time on us anymore frown.gif

Thanks for the positive note......I don't necessarily think it's a waste of time to post and sell to board members, I just need to do it in small increments to I don't fall behind on obligations. If I see a request for a book, I may post or pm, but I'm not starting any for sale threads for a little while. I've also been trying to find time to bag and board thousands of books.

I'm not actively selling right now until I fulfill commitments to a few board members that I'm behind on. I don't like being late. I have a stack of PM's printed out that I need to pull books for or respond to and I need to find time to do it.

The only time I have to post is 893whatthe.gifduring work 893whatthe.gif when I have two computer screens open or late at night when I'm just about to pass out anyway. It's great for reading and posting, but my books are not available to me here. sorry.gif

I'm coaching soccer and baseball on most evenings so I'm not even home until 8-9 pm on most days and then it's time to get the kids to bed.

Feel free to PM me and disparage my pricing or grading any time. thumbsup2.gif

Feel free to PM me and disparage my pricing or grading any time. thumbsup2.gif

I will do it here. You sold me a raw book that you graded as a 9.2. Well CGC says it is only a 9.2. I expect my books to be undergraded. sumo.gif

Same here as far as posting goes, that plus summer is exremely busy at my shop(my real job) smile.gif.

I have enjoyed selling books to forumites here alot more then selling on Ebay. I would hope that in the event I missed something on a book the buyer should always express his opinion via PM or in a thread.

Here I thought I was the only one coaching soccer and baseball 893whatthe.gif,,

but once I get situated in my new home and have my own PC there I hope to sell a little more frequent on the boards.

And by all means, feel free to comment on anything I list on the boards be it asking price or disagreement on a grade, I do not get offended shy.gif

not even by greggy stooges.gif

I gotta say this forum has really gone downhill, too. I’m seeing lots of dreck/overpriced/overgraded etc. books. I always check it for fear of missing something I want, but doing so has become a bit of a chore. It gotten away from what it used to be for sure.

I recently bought a book with undisclosed water damage. blush.gif Now, the seller offered a full refund and apologized, claiming not to have taken the book out of the bag. Now even if that was true – the scan he posted wasn’t in a bag – that sort of thing just should not be happening here.

I miss the ACTUAL bidding instead of all these BIN's

I know it irritated the anal types(they know who they are) when someone bid $2 and they would rather see three BigTime Bids instead of 15 small bids that reach the same level, but for me that was fun.

Shut up! makepoint.gif Shut up! makepoint.gif Shut up! makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

I am relatively new here and have started a few for sale threads. Normally I put the book in the grading forum to get a concensus grade and use that, along with having the book in hand, to get a realistic grade. I always accept returns if someone is unhappy or disagrees with the grading. Everyone I sold to so far has been happy with my assessment of grading ( I have even got a few kudos!!). A few people have said my prices are a bit high, which I will look into. If anyone has any constructive criticism, I am all ears!! Now go and look up some of my old selling threads and buy some books!!!!! insane.gif

Oh No...

I post my 1st forum BIN last week and it has to coincide with a marketplace meltdown thread. tonofbricks.gifdevil.gif

I've bought from the marketplace a bit in the past and will most likely do so again in the near future. Just like most other sections of the forum....there is an ebb and flow with the quality, quantity and range of books being offered. As always the good stuff shines through.

But the marketplace does sometimes seem to resemble a flea market with "us" guys trying to pass on our unwanted books(or maybe a better name is "less loved" books). But you never know if someone is looking for your castoffs until you let them know about it. Whether they are common moderns(still looking for a cheap set of Villains United), low grade goldens, or high grade slabs....I'm happy to look at whatever someone is offering as long as they can grade. As far as price, I'll express myself with my wallet...just as folks did with some of my BINS frown.gif...which goes back to my earlier statement about "shining through"). I'll probably throw some more 893censored-thumb.gif on the wall to see what sticks, i.e. what buyers want(something many real dealers probably already know).

We gripe and moan about having to search through posts...but that's just part of collecting as we all know that the pursuit can be as entertaining as the actual completion.

I'll probably throw some more 893censored-thumb.gif on the wall to see what sticks

I don't ever mind people throwing up their 893censored-thumb.gif and trying to sell it. thumbsup2.gif That's a lot of what I buy. It just seems like a few people lately are putting their 893censored-thumb.gif up and saying it smells like roses.

Most of the people that sell on this forum regularly have put quite a bit of work into making it one of the best places to buy comics; much better than Ebay. I haven't bought any books from nikos, but I have from comicdey, sterlingcomics, and drbanner and they were all expertly graded, well packed, and fairly priced. I know there are many other sellers on this forum that are great as well. I guess I just don't want to see that messed up by a few people wanting to squeeze a few extra pennies out of overgraded books. I know I don't have to buy, and I won't. Maybe this is just my version of a preemptive strike before things get any worse.

Or like I said before, maybe I'm just a jerk.

Maybe it's just me and I don't mean to offend anyone, but the last couple weeks it seems there have been a rash of posts with books that IMO are clearly overgraded or overpriced or both. I know I don't have to buy them, and I don't, but I started buying on these boards in order to escape unknowledgeable Ebay sellers and their ilk. Everyone on these boards can find plenty of sellers on Ebay trying to sell beater copies of books at VF or higher prices. There are also truck loads of NM modern books that don't sell for even half guide let alone almost twice guide. I don't think anyone cares how much you paid for something or that a book would grade higher if only...

Perhaps there needs to be some additional guidelines set for this forum before this gets out of hand.

Then again, maybe I'm just a jerk.

Yes, I have had to do a double take on some posts offering off-grade Bronze, cooper and moderns that are in high abundance with a sales price of what must be at least NM guide. I certainly don't mind the properly priced BA/CA auctions of non-overstock stuff, but some of these auctions are ridiculous. Like you, their absence was what made me check in to this forum, but looks like it will now be a low priority.

I appreciate those who note what era (GA, SA, etc) their FS books are, that helps my filtering.

Great, I finally start spending my money here instead of ebay and now people feel it's happening here too. I hope it is only temporary. A member grading system doesn't sound too bad, like on some of the other forums. Also, like someone else said, if the "bad" graders/sellers get no action, they should disappear all by themselves.

I will be completely caught up after 1 final trip to the post office tomorrow.

I'd much rather sell here than on Ebay, but I'm not sure anyone would bother to buy from me again after waiting 2 months to get their books last time.

I'm under no pressure to sell anymore, so I'll be able to list a few books a day & take it slow. I will also guarantee that books will go out no more than 2 days after payment has been received.

I know my grading/packing/prices are solid...and this time speedy delivery will also be included. thumbsup2.gif

I try to under grade and under price 27_laughing.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't even collect EC's, but your posts over the last 6 months or so have just about made me start!! thumbsup2.gif

I am relatively new here and have started a few for sale threads. Normally I put the book in the grading forum to get a concensus grade and use that, along with having the book in hand, to get a realistic grade. I always accept returns if someone is unhappy or disagrees with the grading. Everyone I sold to so far has been happy with my assessment of grading ( I have even got a few kudos!!). A few people have said my prices are a bit high, which I will look into. If anyone has any constructive criticism, I am all ears!! Now go and look up some of my old selling threads and buy some books!!!!! insane.gif

Having purchased a couple books from you, I can safely say you're on the right track! thumbsup2.gif

now we suddenly have the CGC Inquisition.

Nobody expects the CGC Inquisition. Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to CGC.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.