• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Collection . Most Valuable Collection ???

49 posts in this topic

D Sulipa used to have everything in his massive Manitoba, Canada warehouse but I don't think he has restocked anything in 10 years. The only vintage 1940s Canadian comics he has seems to be coverless or chunks missing. His website is extensive & would take a month to read. stooges.gif

I've been in his warehouse. Visited him a couple months ago. It's massive. He enjoys stocking up on the unusual stuff and that seems to be his fortey. Recently, he bought a bunch of stuff in bulk from Gary Dolgoff. It was 50's harvey/archie stuff. He very much enjoys selling stuff like that and has the clientelle. When I asked him about stocking Silver Age Marvel/DC, Golden Age or even some Bronze, he's not interested all that much in persuing it and doesn't appear to have a whole lot of it for sale. Loves getting the new stuff that's come out in the last five years though. Does he know something we don't? grin.gif

Remember seeing a massive multi-issue runs of just about every Conan comic out there. But, he does have holes here and there that need to be filled. What does 180 copies of Daredevil 181 look like? I've seen them. He has literally isles and isles filled with every title. Walls of DC in alphatical order, followed by Marvels. HUGE!!!!

What does 180 copies of Daredevil 181 look like?

A garbage dump? grin.gif

Its amazing that so few have so much!!

And yet this market is so vibrant and active with thousands of collectors seeking out that FIND and in the meanwhile these same few individuals actively pursue the same goal as us.( they just have more ) And isnt that what makes this hobby so much fun !!

893applaud-thumb.gif

And yet this market is so vibrant and active with thousands of collectors seeking out that FIND and in the meanwhile these same few individuals actively pursue the same goal as us.( they just have more ) And isnt that what makes this hobby so much fun !!

893applaud-thumb.gif

You're high. Go back to Woodstock, hippie!

You're high. Go back to Woodstock, hippie!

893Funny-thumb.gif

Okay, everyone... Group Hug! acclaim.gif

Who wants to start the group singalong of "We are the World?"

wow oh wow . I just read the Brualto article and I am stunned. He has amassed a Silver collection that rivals Dave Anderson's Golden Age books. SOrt of discouraging in a way that one person has such a near-perfect run of Marvels...many of which are best copies and one-of-kind.... so--whats the point??? I quit!!

btw--for dealers i think Metropolis has the most and best back issue hoard. Although Geppi's/Diamond Galleries stash is still mostly unquantifiable.... (Picture "the warehouse at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie!!)

Just to throw something else out there, what do y'all think will happen when some of these massive collections of older collectors get released one day in the next 10 or 20 years?

I think of it as a day when maybe I'll have made a lot of money and can pick up some great books that I've never had an opportunity to get at. smile.gif

Just to throw something else out there, what do y'all think will happen when some of these massive collections of older collectors get released one day in the next 10 or 20 years?

I think of it as a day when maybe I'll have made a lot of money and can pick up some great books that I've never had an opportunity to get at. smile.gif

They might not come out...if they get their kids into it, they might hold onto the comics. For example, one of those Diamond "Scoop" articles said once that Dave Anderson's teenage son is a Golden Age collector too. I've seen them at the Tyson's Corner, Virginia show together.

I think of it as a day when maybe I'll have made a lot of money and can pick up some great books that I've never had an opportunity to get at.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Being 24, I think of it that way also. The torch has to be passed eventually, right?

They might not come out...if they get their kids into it, they might hold onto the comics. For example, one of those Diamond "Scoop" articles said once that Dave Anderson's teenage son is a Golden Age collector too. I've seen them at the Tyson's Corner, Virginia show together.

Unfortunetly, you may be right. It's pretty easy to be a teenage G.A collector when your pops has the best collection out there. And seeing as how he probably grew up with his dad's books, the emotional connection will be there. He's probably in for life.

Andrew:

Yeah, I'm 27, so I'm holding out the same hope that by the time I'm 40 or so, there'll be some stunners out there. One day (maybe soon) I'll be making real money and can sink the kind of money I really want to into books, so I hope that all the collections aren't just passed down to the family, or maybe the family will sell them.

As for Dave Anderson's son, if my son had an interest in the hobby, and I had the best Golden Age books in the hobby, hey, I'd never sell them either. They'd be mine for both collector and sentimental reasons.

Definitely Dolgoff has a monster stash, and you could probably spend a lifetime sortng through his warehouse...

I still remember his Silver Age ads in the mid-to-late 80's, where you could get "any quantity" of FF 48 for $8 in bulk

His warehouse is both an overwhelming and depressing experience. His SA & BA selection is so large that he is probably 10-200 copies deep in each grade. He couldn't tell you what he has for sure-only a small % is sorted and graded. A third of the warehouse consists of collections shipped to him that have never been looked at and are sitting on rotting palates or collections that have only been looked through in a preliminary manner. It put everything in perspective for me--very little is truly rare in any grade. (e.g., must've had 200 copies of the "rare" Spiderman and the Prodigy sitting in a collapsing pile).

It put everything in perspective for me--very little is truly rare in any grade.

Yep, and I used to wonder why people with huge troves of comics don't just hire some people and make a mint selling on EBay (though Dolgoff does list quite a bit), but it's obvious that letting loose stocks like this would do more to depress back issue prices than anything else.

I just read the Brualto article and I am stunned. He has amassed a Silver collection that rivals Dave Anderson's Golden Age books.

You are nuts if you think Brulato's collection surpasses Anderson's.

Yes FF and Spidey #1-100 in high grade sound grade, but does that really compare to Action, Detective, Adventure, More Fun, Batman, Superman, and Flash #1-100 in high grade (not to mention full runs of Marvel Mystery, Captain America, Torch and more).

If you think it does, then how about the fact that Anderson also has Silver Age runs.

For second place, I'd probably give the nod to Jon Berk - especially since Geppi has sold so many of his duplicate keys now.

Inventory - Metropolis. No contest. Better than 2,3 and 4 combined.

I don't care how many high grade Marvel #1s Parrino has and how many millions he claims they are worth.

You are nuts if you think Brulato's collection surpasses Anderson's.

Yes FF and Spidey #1-100 in high grade sound grade, but does that really compare to Action, Detective, Adventure, More Fun, Batman, Superman, and Flash #1-100 in high grade (not to mention full runs of Marvel Mystery, Captain America, Torch and more).

I absolutely agree. There is no contest when it comes to silver and gold collection comparison. I would rather have a single complete golden age run than have 10 complete silver runs. No doubt. Silver has some incredible stuff (definitely) but not the depth and breadth of true classics that exists with the golden age. IMHO

(I think i will make this a new thread!)

This debate should not even be in question. Metropolis has the LARGEST and the most VALUABLE inventory. Not even close. Anyone who would debate the point has never seen their inventory. Plain and simple.

Your statement is wrong. They have probably the most valuable inventory (Steve?), but to say they have more books than either Sulipa or Dolgoff is inaccurate.

From Sulipa's website: We have in Stock; [1 Million Comics, 1960-2000, & some older, 95%of ALL Publishers & titles] [250,000 Magazines, ALL types] [250,000 Paperbacks, ALL types, 1940-1990's] [50,000 Hardcover Books, ALL subjects, from 1900-1990's] [100,000 Records] [8000 Music Cassette Tapes] [8000 VHS Movies] [10,000 POSTERS; Movie(50's-90's), Video store (1980's & 90's) & chain store types (70's-early 90's)] [VIDEO GAMES; Atari, Coleco,Intellivision, Nintendo, Super-Nintendo, Sega, Genesis, etc] [HOCKEY CARDS, most 1951/2-1993] [Digests = Most Comic types, plus a selection of SF, Mystery & many Misc types] & MORE!

From Dolgoff's website: He now has a Warehouse space, replete with 800,000 Comics, Magazines, some Art, etc.- plus - 6 able assistants, 2 computers and a sophisticated alarm system, etc. "We love selling to Dealers and Collectors around the world". He takes great pride, in 'following his fathers' example' of honesty, integrity and pride in his business, his 'lifes' work' (comic books)...

Definitely Dolgoff has a monster stash, and you could probably spend a lifetime sortng through his warehouse...

I still remember his Silver Age ads in the mid-to-late 80's, where you could get "any quantity" of FF 48 for $8 in bulk... 893whatthe.gif

Ehh. I'm at his page right now, and just browsing the Amazing Spider-Man, I notice that almost EVERYTHING he's listed is fair, poor, good-. Nothing high grade (MAYBE a VF here and there).

Harley Yee has NICE stuff on his page.