• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are These Worth This Much?

41 posts in this topic

These toys are super rare, to relate their rarity to comics it would be the equivalent of an Action #1 in 9.2 and up.

People seem to be amazed at prices realized for rare toys on these boards. Not as many survive today in their original boxes as does comic books from the same time period. How many copies of Action #1, Tec 27, Showcase 4 will be floating around in San Diego this weekend? For a rare toy such as this, even from the 1970's, you might spend a whole lifetime going to shows and never even see one.

Vintage Star Wars toys, is the most successful boys toy line ever, and as heavily mass produced as it was, there are at least 30-50 different toys, released for mass market distribution, with less than ten known examples still in their original boxes surviving today. If you were trying to complete a run of SW toys released from between 1978-1985, you would have to find the equivalent of 50 different Action #1's, if not Detective #1's. They can be truly rare.

Jim

These toys are super rare, to relate their rarity to comics it would be the equivalent of an Action #1 in 9.2 and up.

I doubt that this toy is rarer than a Action 1 in 9.2... makepoint.gif

While that was clear use of hyperbole, the point is taken. makepoint.gif

Nor is it anywhere near as significant.Almost every comic collector dreams of owning an Action #1,Detetive 27,even a FF #1. I highly doubt EVERY toy collector has this on his grail list.

Of course,after seeing these prices,its jumped to the top of my "-hope to find at the next garage sale" list

Nor is it anywhere near as significant.Almost every comic collector dreams of owning an Action #1,Detetive 27,even a FF #1. I highly doubt EVERY toy collector has this on his grail list.

Of course,after seeing these prices,its jumped to the top of my "-hope to find at the next garage sale" list

Agreed

Given that these things are constructed of cheap rubber and filled with a gooey substance, I'd have to think that these toys are bound to simply self destruct into a glob of crystalized goo in the very near future... probably makes newsprint look stable in comparison.

Probably not an item you'd plan on keeping for a long time. confused-smiley-013.gif

I used to own that Hulk Stretch Armstrong. Long gone , I think it exploded and pink goo came out.

I guess that's why a Mint one Mint in Mint Box goes for so much 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Box is not mint

I used to own that Hulk Stretch Armstrong. Long gone , I think it exploded and pink goo came out.

yeah, I had a Stretch Armstrong's nemsis called Stretch Monster...

after playing with it for a couple of months it busted...

I bet these toys would break now if played with...

I would be too scared to even try with a 15k toy.

stretchm.jpg

stretchmonster2.jpg

no, i understand the box being really hard to find, but what about the toys? so they're paying $15K for a box? my wife has some of her original SW action figures from 78, i can't imagine they're all that rare except for a few oddball ones, but, of course, no boxes. these super hero toys are the sort of thing that comic collectors might have bought. wouldn't be surprised if neatstuff has a few in the warehouse they don't know about.

I had the Stretch Monster when I was a kid, too. I didn't want Stretch Armstrong, I wanted the monster! grin.gif

I tied him to my older bros skateboard and had him doing sweet ramp jumps...

needless to say, it wasn't long before that ooze came out on mine.

tongue.gif

Actually, it is as rare.

You can find stretch hulk's for sale, but all of them are loose. Loose these are not worth that much. To find the toy in Mint condition inside it's original box is a toy collector's dream akin to the comic collector finding that perfect copy of their grail book in unread condition. This toy was likely never played with.

I collected Mego 8 inch action figures and tried to get the best conditioned ones I could. I bought a complete Thor loose for 90 dollars. A Bargain compared to the 500 dollars the one in the box cost.

Artboy99

Actually, it is as rare.

You can find stretch hulk's for sale, but all of them are loose. Loose these are not worth that much. To find the toy in Mint condition inside it's original box is a toy collector's dream akin to the comic collector finding that perfect copy of their grail book in unread condition. This toy was likely never played with.

I collected Mego 8 inch action figures and tried to get the best conditioned ones I could. I bought a complete Thor loose for 90 dollars. A Bargain compared to the 500 dollars the one in the box cost.

Artboy99

you collect megos?

Megos Rule!

headbang.gif

yeah, I had a Stretch Armstrong's nemsis called Stretch Monster...

after playing with it for a couple of months it busted...

I bet these toys would break now if played with...

I would be too scared to even try with a 15k toy.

stretchm.jpg

stretchmonster2.jpg

I had this guy! I bet some of his purplish goo is still stuck to the floor of my parents basement.

Note to self if I ever spend $15,000 on one of these..."climate control" 27_laughing.gif

Thanks artboy for backing me up, these are uber rare. To the person who asked, yes in esscence you are paying for the box. Any loose toys of almost anything are a dime a dozen, and worth a 10th of what a boxed example would sell for. In this auction being discussed, the box is far from being NM, if it was mint and still sealed, the price probably triples if not quadruples. And yes this particular toy is probably a holy grail piece to many collectors, it wouldn't have the same appeal to as many collectors as an Action #1 would as there are many more subcategories of toy collecting than comic collecting but to the right group of people this is the Action #1, or the upside down stamp, the Mickey Mantle rookie or the "Butcher Cover" Beatles album. FWIW your chances of finding a piece like this at a garage sale, still in it's box are virtually nil.

Jim