• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Forum Dinner Report

35 posts in this topic

cgc8.jpg

Who is the guy in the white shirt?

Some guy from Denmark. Dunno if he's a regular form member or not.

Actually, his name is Rob, and he's from Norway. His buddy, on the far left, is Sven. Great guys. Rob is a board member, but doesn't post much. Maybe we'll get him to post in here, as he was very excited to get a copy of that picture. He collects Disney, and is a huge Don Rosa fan.

I was asking because he was at comiclink the other day when I was there.

It was my 1st visit to Diego in 3 years. Was glad to meet Mark Wilson in person. He looks younger & stronger now than 3 years ago. Must be all those long boxes of Cgc ultra hi-grade comics he's bench pressing.

the dinner was a HUGE success, with approx 65 folks showing up...........

a very eclectic group which made for many interesting conversations.

i finally met a bunch of folks that i'd wanted to for some time and some that i hadn't been on the lookout for. (Mark Wilson is a totally engaging dude, who could sell Ice to Eskimos..........i just hope his head didn't hurt too much the following day - for a guy who drinks little he more than held up his end of the battle with innumerable long Island Ice-Teas...... grin.gif).

spoke at length to Steve B about the Central Valley Pedigree. Steve took me over to meet A-! comics (brian peet) and pulled a half dozen unslabbed books off the shelf, broke them out and gushed over the VERY white pages. (i believe the Batman and Superman number 5's both garnered 9.6's.........more on this elsewhere..........

had a nice long chat with Matt Nelson............I'm getting the rest of my Sid's collection pressed................. blush.gif27_laughing.gif...........as always a very friendly and knowledgable fellow. we talked about lots of stuff..........i'm thinking about having Matt restore my Hulk #1, despite advice to the contrary from the Blazing one....

speaking of whom, Bob has purchased my FF #5 from Drummy and when i asked about seeing the copy in his display, learned that it had been mine......... cool.gif

Met the dude who purchased my FF #4 in 9.4 from Marnin..........(name escapes me...........)

got to see Tim's latest SA HG purchases - 3 beautiful 1963 Adventures (all Legion appearances and all 9.6's.............. 893whatthe.gif0

missed an opportunity to meet Maggie Thompson frown.gif but did get to chat briefly with both Don Rosa and Neal Adams. and GREGGY!!) oh and steve Eichenbaum, as well......

and got to chat with some familiar folks (Gene, Jeffry, Hari, Sid, Jimm, and the CGC staff).

Many Thanks to Bullet123 for pulling this together and his lovely wife theresa (who had all 4 kids staying upstairs during the proceedings...... thumbsup2.gif

look forward to hearing about various Con adventures over the next few days........ grin.gif

got to see Tim's latest SA HG purchases - 3 beautiful 1963 Adventures (all Legion appearances and all 9.6's.............. 893whatthe.gif

...I bet he got those from Metropolis,...they had some of the most beautiful early Silver Adventures that I'd ever seen,...and that's not something you see everyday,....very rare in such high grade,... cloud9.gif

got to see Tim's latest SA HG purchases - 3 beautiful 1963 Adventures (all Legion appearances and all 9.6's.............. 893whatthe.gif

...I bet he got those from Metropolis,...they had some of the most beautiful early Silver Adventures that I'd ever seen,...and that's not something you see everyday,....very rare in such high grade,... cloud9.gif

He did, and they were the ones that Metro got raw from a dealer at Wondercon. Those books went very fast at Wondercon, and you can see why.

He did, and they were the ones that Metro got raw from a dealer at Wondercon. Those books went very fast at Wondercon, and you can see why.

...they were exquisite,...I'm glad they got a good home,...

YUP - Tim got them from Metro at a DISCOUNT!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Harry,

I kept my eye out for you on the convention floor, but never saw you. Maybe next year. thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

i was looking for you, as well.................

actually spent very little time at the Con. just showed up one day, looked around, was STUNNED by the number of folks there, saw a few friendly faces and spent the bulk of our time on a Harbor Tour, in Little Italy, at the KC Barbeque ("sleazy bar scene from Top Gun"), Trolley Tour, Seal Tour, Del Coronado, Seaport Village, and the "Forum Dinner".................just a GREAT town cloud9.gif

maybe next time............ thumbsup2.gif

The forum dinner can be best summed up for me in two simple words: Neal Adams. That's right, Mr. Neal Adams attended our forum dinner! I don't mean to take away from any of the other notable guests (i.e., Maggie Thompson, Michelle Nolan, Don Rosa!!!) But for me, getting to attend a small dinner with Neal Adams was the highlight of my year, let alone the convention.

Rob;

Nothing against Neal Adams, but one of the most special Con dinners I was fortunate enough to attend was back in the 90's. This was the AACBC hosted dinner that featured all of the surviving members of the original DC gang from the 1930's as their special guests. hail.gif

I believe there were almost a dozen of these true pioneers of the industry including the likes of Vince Sullivan, Creig Flessel, Fred Guardineer, Jerry Robinson, Murphy Anderson, Martin Nodell, etc. along with other such notables as Will Eisner, Maggie Thompson, and the whole CBM gang. Especially nice when CBM passed out a commemorative edition of one of their magazines which facilitated getting all of the autographs from these legendary greats. thumbsup2.gif

Unfortuantely, I missed the impromptu preliminary event hosted by Fishler and Metro where they had an actual copy of Action Comics #1 and these guys discussed the part they had in the production of the book. Truly an once in a lifetime event, considering that a few of them had past away within the following year. frown.gif

Creig Flessel, Jerry Robinson, Murphy Anderson, and Martin Nodel are still Alive. I have had the pleasure of speaking with creig flessel for 30 minutes before. I also Got the pleasure of having a 15 minute conversation with murphy anderson in an empty hall way at comic-con this year. I know that dinner must have been cool But for me short of dinner with sheldon moldoff or stan lee and john romita this was awesome.

Hi!

First of all, thanks a lot for arranging this! It was by far the highlight of our trip.

It was fantastic to meet Don Rosa. I wish it was more time as there where so many interesting people there.

ronm3: We spent some days in NY before we went to San Diego. I was indeed visiting Comiclink. It sure is a small world 

I will try to post a bit more but it’s a very hectic with lots of work + family etc…

I’ve already made some good friends in this forum and met a few more on the dinner. Quality forums are one of the highlights of the www. Thanks guys!

Regards,

Rob