• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Dispute transaction has been opened up on me

34 posts in this topic

Ok, last night I won this ebay item from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200008896753&rd=1

The first alert is how he described his shipping, he really doesn't give any details and it can fool you (as it did me) that it's 6.50 for one CGC book. Well, it's not. When I got my invoice he charged $12.00 for flat rate shipping and an additional $5.00 for insurance (the thing went for 12 bucks!). After looking closely at his feed back, I saw that a couple aren't too happy with the shipping cost and he retaliates with a neg (even if they left a positive or neautral). Rather than start a war with the guy, I considered it my own fault for not looking closely or asking questions and went ahead and paid. End of story right? Well, this morning the guy refunded me the payment saying that the book was damaged. That is total BS. He knew he didn't get what he wanted so he's making it up totally. I asked if he would subtract $11 and I'll pay the difference and send it for reslab. He said he didn't want to do that. So, I said no problem. He emailed me back to see if we could leave positive feedback for each other. I said I'm not sure but would he left it first. That's when I got this

We are contacting you about the following item: INCREDIBLE HULK 1 NM+ CGC 9.8 8/05 RaRe PROMO HTF HG (#200008896753)

The seller, privatebusinezz tells us you have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction (e.g. because you returned or are returning the item for a refund or because there was a misunderstanding) and has requested a credit for their eBay fees.

Please respond by Aug-02-2006 so eBay knows whether you have made this agreement.

Please note: Both you and the seller will still be able to leave feedback for each other regarding this transaction.

Thank you,

eBay

Respond to this notification

Details for item number: 200008896753

Item title: INCREDIBLE HULK 1 NM+ CGC 9.8 8/05 RaRe PROMO HTF HG

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200008896753

End date: Tuesday, Jul 25, 2006 18:30:32 PDT

Quantity: 1

Dispute URL: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewDisputeConsole&DisputeType=1

Date dispute was opened: Wednesday, Jul 26, 2006 13:34:33 PDT

He's basically egging me on to go ahead and agree but I'm still hesitant because we can still leave feedback. Of course, my negative would him hurt more than me but I'd really like to see the guy have to pay those ebay fees for being a liar (even though they aren't huge). I have until August 2 to respond but I wanted to see if you guys have done this before and maybe I can report him to ebay for his excessive shipping (Although nothing may happen). I also emailed the guy he negged for not responding on an unpaid dispute (notice ebay removed his) and maybe I can get this guy NARU'd. (I'm keeping all of my emails he sent) Right now, it's stating I haven't paid. Any recommendations? I'm so glad I know you guys. Thanks! confused.gif

If you want to stand on principle, don't mind spending a lot more time, won't get aggravated by all of it, and don't care about your FB, then take him to task.

If you just want to limit all the BS you'd go through otherwise, just agree and let it go. Life's short, you need to choose your battles.

Sometimes it's a tough call. To me it depends on how big a jerk the seller is. This guys seems like a semi-jerk and not worth the effort.

Wow, it looks like EBay deleted a similar negative " jholliday2120" left him, but he kept his. What a 893censored-thumb.gif system that is, and I've never in my life, seen a company that protects its sellers with the vehemence of those at EBay.

Makes you really want to shop there, eh? screwy.gif

Wow, it looks like EBay deleted a similar negative " jholliday2120" left him, but he kept his. What a 893censored-thumb.gif system that is, and I've never in my life, seen a company that protects its sellers with the vehemence of those at EBay.

Makes you really want to shop there, eh? screwy.gif

I haven't bought a single thing off eBay in almost 2 1/2 years. acclaim.gif

How does one get away with charging $5 for insurance? It's not like you can fudge it and say it's for "handling expenses." Insurance has a set cost. Period. Unless he plans on insuring the 12.00 book for like 400.00.

Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Sellers who want to be sure they are in compliance with this policy may charge actual shipping costs plus actual packaging materials cost (or less).

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge:

Actual Shipping cost: This is the actual cost (i.e. postage) for shipping the item.

Handling Fee: Actual packaging materials costs may be charged. A handling fee in addition to actual shipping cost may be charged if it is not excessive.

Insurance: Sellers offering insurance may only charge the actual fee for insurance. No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers who do not use a licensed 3rd party insurance company may not require buyers to purchase insurance. This is a violation of state law.

Tax: Only actual applicable federal, state, country, city, VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.

For cross border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyers may be responsible for actual, applicable tariffs, and duties as requested by respective country laws.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

You should be able to respond in the dispute resolution that you have not agreed to cancel the transaction, and that you'd like to go forward. If you want to spend the $24, go for it. But, if you don't respond to the dispute, you won't be able to leave feedback. That's probably what he's going for, trying to use the system to prevent you from leaving negative feedback.

I went ahead and agreed just to get this over with. He did leave me positive feedback so I went ahead and did the same. I really could have negged him then. The shipping is a different story and I'm going to report his charges to ebay. I saved the inventory he sent me so I can send that to them to show what he charges for insurance. At least, that will get their attention. BTW, if anybody has this book please PM me (it's one of the few Hulk books I don't have). Thanks for the help guys. We'll see this is same one on ebay again in a couple of weeks from this guy.

Come on Hulk Tom ! Don't give it up. At least email him asking for a scan of the damaged book, tell him in good faith.

He'll probably list the book again in a few months. You just assisted and gave the dude a reward for his verboten ethics. In some ways you ended up being a shill ( albeit involuntary).

Now someone else will probably experience what you had gone through, and they'll look at his feedback, and say, " Oh, good ole' HulkTom, left him positive feeback, this must be a good seller.

confused.gif

I went ahead and agreed just to get this over with. He did leave me positive feedback so I went ahead and did the same. I really could have negged him then. The shipping is a different story and I'm going to report his charges to ebay. I saved the inventory he sent me so I can send that to them to show what he charges for insurance. At least, that will get their attention. BTW, if anybody has this book please PM me (it's one of the few Hulk books I don't have). Thanks for the help guys. We'll see this is same one on ebay again in a couple of weeks from this guy.

You closed the dispute and now your going to report him to ebay confused-smiley-013.gif