• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could somebody tell me a little about Planetary. Is it worth reading?

55 posts in this topic

I've been slowly working on an annotated Planetary, partly for myself because the issues come out so infrequently and then they'll make a reference to someone who appeared 11 issues (=4 years) ago and I have to go back and reread. When I'm done I'll post it.

I doubt they'll make a huge omnibus edition any time soon, but it'd be great. The Absolute edition is quite pricey these days, and contains the first 12 issues. But a big 28-30 issue book would be great, and is something that's happening these days.

Don't forget about the crossovers with JLA, Batman, and Authority. The latter is my favorite.

All in all, it's a book that will stand up there along with Preacher, Sandman, etc., as a truly great extended but finite series.

Planetary = Right at the top of the list of my favorite "current" series (in quotes because it's super infrequent and it's almost over)

SAME! thumbsup2.gif

The Batman/Planetary (One shot?) was awesome. Very fun!

Planetary = Right at the top of the list of my favorite "current" series (in quotes because it's super infrequent and it's almost over)

SAME! thumbsup2.gif

The Batman/Planetary (One shot?) was awesome. Very fun!

Yeah, I loved playing "guess the era/artist" and it had some great dialog.

Don't forget about the crossovers with JLA, Batman, and Authority. The latter is my favorite.

There is a TPB that has these three rolled into one. So you don't have to track down each one individually. I agree, they were fun.

Pat

Well,

We have a 3rd person who's a individual issue purist. Got to love it. Don't see many of us anymore. Especially with the TPB taking over monthlies.

Pat

Yeah, I'm definately an individual issue purist thumbsup2.gif

Well,

We have a 3rd person who's a individual issue purist. Got to love it. Don't see many of us anymore. Especially with the TPB taking over monthlies.

Pat

Yeah, I'm definately an individual issue purist thumbsup2.gif

I buy individual issues most of the time, but I also have walls full of Graphic Novels and TPBs.........

I have found that the Tpbs are great if I want to start reading a new series. Once I decide I like it, I start collecting the back issues. My belief is that if a series is readable, it will be collectable.

I have found that the Tpbs are great if I want to start reading a new series. Once I decide I like it, I start collecting the back issues. My belief is that if a series is readable, it will be collectable.

That's exactly what I did with Y:The Last Man...

I bought the first TPB to see if the series really lived up to the hype, and I absolutely loved it, so I went back and bought the early individual issues thumbsup2.gif

The art looks great, but I've found Warren Ellis to be a little hit n' miss when it comes to writing. Is it worth picking up and reading?

I'll echo what others have said, just a fantastic book. One of the best comics ever. Ellis at the absolute top of his game and Cassady (of course) is the best artist out there. Amazing stuff.

As Timulty said, on the surface it's accessible for anyone, but it really is extremely complex. Buy the trades and enjoy! thumbsup2.gif

because of this thread I went out and picked up Planetary #1 this weekend but haven't been able to read it yet, also picked up Astro City #1, and I wana find a copy of Y! The Next Man #1 soon...it's good to know there's so much interesting stuff out there! What do yall think of Ex Machina? Pick up or pass? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had heard about that one. Pretty good, eh?

Here is something that people don't realize about the Modern forum. If you want to find current titles that are a great read, read the posts on the Modern Forum. It really opens your eyes to what is out there.

I've been reading Girls in trade, two trades so far. Great read! Its kinda like a Bendis book in that it seems to go by real fast. Might read better in trade.

Also real good, especially if you are a Kirby/Lee FF fan, is Godland.

Here is something that people don't realize about the Modern forum. If you want to find current titles that are a great read, read the posts on the Modern Forum. It really opens your eyes to what is out there.

Yep! thumbsup2.gif But too many spoilers frown.gif

Yeah, really need to have a masking font so that a person has to do an action in order to read a spoiler. That way, no one sees a spoiler that they don't want to. And no, I don't have a clue how to do this.

"Girls" is AWESOME! I'm lucky enough to say I've been reading it since the beginning. The Luna Brothers (the same guys that did "Ultra") do a fantastic job mixing humor and a story that has almost a 50's Sci-Fi feel to it! I usually burst out laughing at least once per issue. I also quite enjoy the art, and overall, the series absolutely rocks headbang.gif