• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could somebody tell me a little about Planetary. Is it worth reading?

55 posts in this topic

It's been about 80% awesome so far, with 20% of it being a bit of Ellis just going off on long science tangents. Overall, absolutely worth it- one of the very very few comics I still read single issues of.

I'd say it's definitely his best, most definative work.

Gets the big thumbs up from me. Big plus for the new reader is that the book is almost done, so you'll soon be able to sit down and read it all.

And what's not to love about JCs art? Guy owns up the joint.

The only Ellis thing that I've enjoyed. thumbsup2.gif

What about FELL confused-smiley-013.gif

It's one of my favorite modern titles, and normally what I read first any given week it's released

It's one of my favorite modern titles, and normally what I read first any given week it's released

Templesmith is not my cuppa... confused-smiley-013.gif

Planetary is one of my favorite titles.. I buy the single issues and also buy the trade paperbacks (and the Hardcovers for my personal collection.)

The trade paperbacks I'll give away sometimes to friends (or loan them out like a library.) I actually have 3-4 sets of the Y the Last Man series and multiples of the others.

I do the same thing with Y the Last Man, Fables, and the classics like Watchmen, DKR, etc. (I.E I keep multiple copies of them on hand in different forms.)

Remember the Mouse Guard recommendation for your lady?

This is your Mouse Guard. It's a great book. There was one issue in particular that literally blew my mind. That doesn't happen very often when reading a comic. Has a psychadelic green cover.

Highly recommended.

Pat

You should be in your car going out buying the trades as I type this...that is how good this book is

Well... alright then. I'm gonna head over to my LCS tonight and see what they have.

Thanks to all for the info.

You should be in your car going out buying the trades as I type this...that is how good this book is headbang.gif!

So Planetary should be added to my list? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A guy from Heroes and Villans recommend me the first TPB and I really like it, I can't wait to go again to Tuczon and bought the rest of the TPB.

A really good comic!!

You should be in your car going out buying the trades as I type this...that is how good this book is headbang.gif!

This would have been my response if I had thought if it and been posting before jonjesper was posting.

Templesmith is not my cuppa... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I can understand that, Templesmith is a very acquired taste. I just love that Ellis makes each issue a self-contained story...

(and at $1.99, it's a great bargain) cloud9.gif

Planetary is one of those few books that on the surface is approachable to all. But if you dig deeper you find it is quite complex. To sum it up: Planetary is Warren Ellis' personal commentary on comics. Perhaps an even more pointed commentary about how Marvel comics has really screwed up the comics industry.

Planetary is...Perhaps an even more pointed commentary about how Marvel comics has really screwed up the comics industry.

WOW! Now I'm intrigued!

It looks like a full run of the series up to this point goes for $80-$100 on ebay... I guess I'm better off with the trades? I'm just kind of a stickler for having all of the individual issues of a particular series that I read... In general, I love comic covers, and some of the Planetary ones look absolutely great thumbsup2.gif

Planetary is one of those few books that on the surface is approachable to all. But if you dig deeper you find it is quite complex. To sum it up: Planetary is Warren Ellis' personal commentary on comics. Perhaps an even more pointed commentary about how Marvel comics has really screwed up the comics industry.

Not only is it Ellis' person commentary on comics, it's a deconstruction of 20th century pulp fiction.