• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest double/triple cover?

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of examples of multiple cover printing mistakes in golden age books? Are there any copies of what are considered key books? I do not collect GA books as it puts way to much strain on my wallet but am curious as I've seen only 1 offered and that was fom a dealer with a less than pristine rep.

There is a wonder woman #21...from The Edgar Church Collection...not only is it a double cover from the Golden Age , but it has a grade of 9.6 overall....though how they came up with this grade I'll never figure out...the exterior cover is a 9.2...and the interior a 9.6....overall a 9.6??

anywho..CComic link has it listed for 8K...

Jonny D.

There is a wonder woman #21...from The Edgar Church Collection...not only is it a double cover from the Golden Age , but it has a grade of 9.6 overall....though how they came up with this grade I'll never figure out...the exterior cover is a 9.2...and the interior a 9.6....overall a 9.6??

anywho..CComic link has it listed for 8K...

Jonny D.

I am pretty sure that they take the overall grade from the far inside cover when it is a multi-cover issue. Does not matter what the outside is.

There is a Batman 3 double cover. Joe Desris, a long-time double cover collector, owned it, before he broke up his set. I believe Dave Anderson owns it, but I'm not sure.

I am pretty sure that they take the overall grade from the far inside cover when it is a multi-cover issue. Does not matter what the outside is.

More specifically, I think they take the higher of the two, whichever that is. The vast majority of the time that's the outer cover, but I saw one double cover where the interior cover was mid-grade and the exterior was somewhere around 9.0...there was a note saying the interior cover had some sort of tears on it from the assembly process.

Oldest double cover in Heritage auction site:Doc Savage Comics #2 (10/1940)

{image deleted so that POV doesn't have a coronary}

And why does this book get a blue label? I've got a Danger Girl 3 (That's right, A DANGER GIRL 3!) with Adam Hughes' scrawl on the cover, yet it got a Qualified label. This one has some yahoo's writing on it and it gets a blue label. How do they tell the difference between some random clown's writing and another persons?

Hmmm....

I've had a Batman #31 double, and a National #37 double...a good friend used to have a Superman #12 double. Love how bright the colors are on the inside cover of a double cover book!

I have been collecting Mile High books for 15 years and am considered an expert in the field of authentication. Other well-known experts believe as I do that the Wonder Woman #21 Mile High double cover is not genuine. I have personally seen and held the book in my hands before it was slabbed. It showed none of the typical Mile High characteristics. It is a pretty book though!

The Action Comics #83 triple cover was mine and I sold it a few years back, it was way cool to own and look through!

The oldest Double cover I know of is More Fun #46 (09/1939) that I had and sold 2 years ago.

The oldest double cover that used to exist was a copy of Action Comics #1. Back in the early '80s he took of the second cover and attached it to a coverless copy he owned. Back then a double cover was meaningless.

I also owned many Mile High double covers, including the Adventure #92, it is a double cover.

Timely

Book in question just sold Price: $5,700

I remember seeing that book a few times.

I don't remember hearing about it being a fake.

What do you think the story is behind that book?

http://www.comiclinkexpress.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fcgc%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26f1%3Di%2ECondition%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ECondition%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2ECondition%26ODire3%3DASC%26pg%3D3&id=566651