• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The August Heritage Auction

312 posts in this topic

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you one of my grails and a bargin (in my opinion). I have had this book on my want list for probably 20+ years. The few times it has come up I went for other books. This time I placed a low ball bid not expecting to win and I did! I know, I know, "but you buy Batmans and Detectives".

821001115o.jpg

I only won one as well:

scrooge.jpg

Still, I'm happy. cloud9.gif This is the book that featured the classic boulder scene later made internationally famous in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Great pick up, at an extremely reasonable price given the sky high valuations on Scrooges this auction! 893applaud-thumb.gif

As someone aspiring to complete a high grade Four Color run (and someone who would pay $5K for a 367 in 9.4), I was surprised and discouraged to see the 291 bring over $4K.

You thought $4k was too high or too low for the FC 291? I think more than a few observers were expecting it to break $5K. The days of assembling a HG FC Duck run on the cheap are long gone.

Likewise, I would not pay over $3K+ for a FC 328 in 9.2.

This was one of the more mindboggling prices I saw in an auction notable for mindboggling Duck prices. The good news for the underbidder and fans of this issue (which is one of my favorite Duck stories) is that a 9.4 copy will be coming on the market soon. gossip.gif

Some other stunning prices that I observed: Uncle Scrooge #5 9.4 (7.9X Guide) and WDC&S #38 9.0 (6.5X). I was surprised to see that US #64 in 9.2 was a relative bargain, at only 1.4X.

I picked up the Crippen FC 4 cheaper than I expected and felt I got much better value for my money on that.

893applaud-thumb.gif I think you got an excellent price!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you one of my grails and a bargin (in my opinion). I have had this book on my want list for probably 20+ years. The few times it has come up I went for other books. This time I placed a low ball bid not expecting to win and I did! I know, I know, "but you buy Batmans and Detectives".

821001115o.jpg

That's looks glossier than several copies that I've seen. Congratulations!

I only won one as well:

Still, I'm happy. cloud9.gif This is the book that featured the classic boulder scene later made internationally famous in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Great pick up, at an extremely reasonable price given the sky high valuations on Scrooges this auction! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What he said. Barks actually sketched a nicer version of this cover but it was rejected by the editors; I have a picture somewhere. Funny how most of the US went for record prices but a few (like this and #8 9.2 for $310) slipped through the cracks.

----

Reply to tth2:

You thought $4k was too high or too low for the FC 291? I think more than a few observers were expecting it to break $5K. The days of assembling a HG FC Duck run on the cheap are long gone.

Much too high. I got a FC 318 9.2 for $1,300 18 months ago and would would rate the 291 closer to this than to the 367. I am sure the quality of the cover art is going to play a much bigger role in the future and 291 has possibly the worst cover (after FC 9) of all the FC Ducks.

Some other stunning prices that I observed: Uncle Scrooge #5 9.4 (7.9X Guide) and WDC&S #38 9.0 (6.5X). I was surprised to see that US #64 in 9.2 was a relative bargain, at only 1.4X.

I was most surprised by FC 79 in 9.0 and FC 49 in 9.4 both selling for over $3K. The colors of the FC 49 looked much duller than the 9.4 file copy that sold in January for considerably less. The WDCS and US prices show that at least one major new buyer must have arrived since the January auction, most likely several.

I picked up the Crippen FC 4 cheaper than I expected and felt I got much better value for my money on that.

I think you got an excellent price!

This was the second-nicest copy I've ever seen for sale. I look forward to breaking the slab and reading it.

Looking at some of the prices on stuff, I wonder if any will end up listed on CLINK for even higher prices. I also wonder what potential books may end up on the market so people can pay for what they bought? I feel a little guilty for what I spent so I may have to sell a few books so I feel better when I spend even more at the next auction!

These were some of the lots I bid on, and I was amazed by the huge premiums they sold for 893whatthe.gif

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #2 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1940) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages. CGC census 6/06: 2 in 6.5, 1 higher.

---Overstreet 2006 FN 6.0 value = $1,764; VF 8.0 value = $4,116.

---Sold for: $4,182.50 (includes BP)

Weird Fantasy #21 Gaines FIle pedigree 12/12 (EC, 1953) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. One of the more famous covers of the title owes its startling, eye-catching effect to the peerless tandem of Frank Frazetta and Al Williamson. CGC census 7/06: 2 in 9.6, none higher.

---Overstreet 2006 NM- 9.2 value = $725.

---Sold for: $8,066.25 (includes BP) screwy.gif

Archie Comics #12 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Archie, 1944) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages. CGC census 6/06: 1 in 7.0, none higher.

---Overstreet 2006 FN 6.0 value = $201; VF 8.0 value = $419.

---Sold for: $1,314.50 (includes BP)

Four Color #223 Donald Duck in "Lost in the Andes" - Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1949) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages. CGC census 7/06: 2 in 8.0, 3 higher.

---Overstreet 2006 VF 8.0 value = $553.

---Sold for: $1,553.50 (includes BP)

Four Color #328 Donald Duck in "Old California" - Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1951) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages. CGC census 7/06: 1 in 9.2, 2 higher.

---Overstreet 2006 NM- 9.2 value = $650.

---Sold for: $3,107.00 (includes BP)

Laugh Comics #20 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Archie, 1946) CGC VF- 7.5 White pages. CGC census 7/06: 1 in 7.5, 1 higher.

---Overstreet 2006 VF 8.0 value = $394.

---Sold for: $1,553.50 (includes BP)

Good analysis! I think it shows very clearly that the demand for Ducks and Archies is so strong that the Guide is woefully out of date.

Tim;

As you have stated, the Ducks market is very much influenced by the falling U.S. dollar coupled with the huge surge of European purchasers. This movement has been under way for awhile now.

The Archies I believe is much more of an American kind of thing and more recent. Collectors have finally realized that Archie has been around for 60+ years and so built into the American culture that he's definitely going to be around for the next 60 years. Archie books are still generally being brought for reading and passing around like the old days and I certainly can't say this for the Marvels & DC's which is much more of a collector's market in comparison.

Bottom-line: A lot of upside potential left for these two, probably more so for the Archies since it joined the party a bit later.

Some nice Joker cover Detectives in this auction, but nothing in my grade range.

Detective Comics #118 (DC, 1946) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages. A Joker cover, by Sprang no less, graces this issue, which... [Open item in a new window.] Signature CGC VF 8.0 August 12, 2006 $717.00

Detective Comics #45 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white pages. This is the Joker's first ... [Open item in a new window.] Signature CGC GD/VG 3.0 August 12, 2006 $448.13

Detective Comics #71 (DC, 1943) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages. Imagine if a supervillain could get away with a new cri... [Open item in a new window.] Signature CGC VF 8.0 August 12, 2006 $1,792.50

Detective Comics #91 (DC, 1944) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages. Humor was one of the main weapons in Sprang's arse... [Open item in a new window.] Signature CGC VF 8.0 August 12, 2006 $836.50

Detective Comics #180 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (DC, 1952) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages. The Joker retires... [Open item in a new window.] Signature CGC VF/NM 9.0 August 12, 2006 $2,629.00

the Ducks market is very much influenced by the falling U.S. dollar coupled with the huge surge of European purchasers. This movement has been under way for awhile now.

I think this is mostly true, although I know for certain more than a few duck books in this auction and in recent ebay auctions have been either bid up or won by new US fans of Duck books.

I think the European surge for Duck books may serve as a catalyst that garners attention from other US collectors.

Just like you said about Archie, Ducks (and anything Disney) are also very much Americana. The fact that both the Archie and Carl Barks stories are more entertaining than nearly anything from that era (IMHO) can only help fuel their future popularity.

I've thought for a long time that both Archie and Barks ducks have been undervalued, and that shows in the final prices of these auctions.

I went a bit overboard myself. I put in about twenty five internet bids at relatively good prices expecting to get between 5-10 and wound up with close to twenty books. Can't say that I'm disappointed in any of them though. Managed to get the Millie the Model #1 at what I thought was a steal price; it's a very difficult book to find in high grade. Also got some terrific first issues of a few pre-code horror series at well below guide prices. Also happy to pick up a number of pre-new trend ECs -- no Gaines File Copies of those out there and rarely ever do you see these come up for sale in high grade. All in all a terrific auction -- but now I have to pay for it all!